Free Member
Jan 7, 2011
forgue aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
a clas iveco 29ft
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi. as any one used a jimny as a tow car behind their motorhome i have a 30 ft iveco i have used a citroen. saxo and a vauxhall. astra1.7 td. with no problem. but you hear all sorts of things about the jimny i have had one for 4 years but never towed it with the motorhome fitting the bracket for the a. is not a problem hope some body as some feed back about this matter. thanks a lot.
walter:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb::Blush::Blush:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure as i've never looked but they may still be using the SJ series running gear....i know the Vatara did.

if so, you need free wheeling (manual or auto) front hubs so the transfer box doesnt get wound up.

i use to pull my SJ410 behind the landy disco with no trouble

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
not sure as i've never looked but they may still be using the SJ series running gear....i know the Vatara did.

if so, you need free wheeling (manual or auto) front hubs so the transfer box doesnt get wound up.

i use to pull my SJ410 behind the landy disco with no trouble

I'm almost sure that in normal road going use the Jimny is two wheel drive and the driver can (electronically by means of two innocuous buttons on the dash ) select 4 x 4L or 4 x 4H whenever the need arises. If that's so the transfer box would normally be disengaged and there's no need for free wheeling hubs ..... I think

OP
OP
walter senior

walter senior

Free Member
Jan 7, 2011
forgue aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
a clas iveco 29ft
Exp
:thumb::thumb:
I'm almost sure that in normal road going use the Jimny is two wheel drive and the driver can (electronically by means of two innocuous buttons on the dash ) select 4 x 4L or 4 x 4H whenever the need arises. If that's so the transfer box would normally be disengaged and there's no need for free wheeling hubs ..... I think
Hi. Quire. my jimny as a small gear stick with High. low. and neutral. i think in neutral its just like a rear whell drive car . Walter.:thumb::thumb::Blush::Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:thumb::thumb:
Hi. Quire. my jimny as a small gear stick with High. low. and neutral. i think in neutral its just like a rear whell drive car . Walter.:thumb::thumb::Blush::Blush:
as i said in my other post im not 100% sure but it does sound like the old SJ series transfer box.

permanant 4wd with free wheeling front hubs for road use....in effect rear wheel drive but power is still sent to the front axle even though it doesnt drive the hubs until the rear wheels start to spin.

neutral position on the transfer box disconnects all drive from the engine to both axles but the axles are still linked to each other in the trans box.

for towing....transfer box in neutral, main box in neutral, front hubs unlocked, very important, if manual locking (manual hubs have a 1/4 turn lever in the hub center, auto hubs have a plain hub center)

OP
OP
walter senior

walter senior

Free Member
Jan 7, 2011
forgue aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
a clas iveco 29ft
Exp
as i said in my other post im not 100% sure but it does sound like the old SJ series transfer box.

permanant 4wd with free wheeling front hubs for road use....in effect rear wheel drive but power is still sent to the front axle even though it doesnt drive the hubs until the rear wheels start to spin.

neutral position on the transfer box disconnects all drive from the engine to both axles but the axles are still linked to each other in the trans box.

for towing....transfer box in neutral, main box in neutral, front hubs unlocked, very important, if manual locking (manual hubs have a 1/4 turn lever in the hub center, auto hubs have a plain hub center)
Hi Pappajohn. a bit lost with this my hubs have a plain center so think thay will be auto hubs so what do you think will i be ok to tow it. thanks. Walter.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one way to find out.....

jack up one front wheel only and try turning it in the normal direction of rotation.....forward.
if it turns fully and freely it has auto hubs (which it sounds like yours are) and can be towed.
if it turns a limited amount only then gets tighter and tries to spring back, it has permanant 4wd and cant be towed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back