Apps for park-ups/services - give us a clue! (2 Viewers)

Can you give us an update on your most preferred app (max 2) for finding park-ups and/or services.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having scoured the play store with hundreds of apps and watched many a YouTube with advice on apps, would you mind divulging which ones you find most useful?

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Park4night in Europe, searchforsites UK
Cheers chaser, that's interesting. Have you paid for the S4S app, or do you find the website easy enough to use?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cheers irnbru, I think I may also opt for SFS for UK use too. Thus far I've used P4N, but often find there's not enough places for services etc so have resort to other sites or apps.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cheers chaser, that's interesting. Have you paid for the S4S app, or do you find the website easy enough to use?
I have paid for p4n before now but find apart from a few adverts it's no different.
But you have to sign up for free to get it to work properly.
S4s no don't pay

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would also add, you have to be a member on both to get the full monty, and stay logged in or login each time you use it, as some parts of them are member only, but note you don't have to pay to be a member.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think if you dont pay for SFS you cant d/l the Garmin data. Instead of having to type in the co ordinates you can just type in the code shown, its much quicker.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think if you dont pay for SFS you cant d/l the Garmin data. Instead of having to type in the co ordinates you can just type in the code shown, its much quicker.
If you click on navigation options, you get a choice of what you want to use, Google maps is the first one up which if you again click on it, it will take you straight to the gate on your phone without doing anything else.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you click on navigation options, you get a choice of what you want to use, Google maps is the first one up which if you again click on it, it will take you straight to the gate on your phone without doing anything else.

Does your phone to vehicle sizes too? That was one of the reasons I bought the Garmin camper though after using it a while I don’t rate their mapping at all.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does your phone to vehicle sizes too? That was one of the reasons I bought the Garmin camper though after using it a while I don’t rate their mapping at all.
Afraid not, the big letdown with Google maps, but I suppose you can't have everything. But at least it does give you street maps so you can look first.

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Afraid not, the big letdown with Google maps, but I suppose you can't have everything. But at least it does give you street maps so you can look first.
irnbru - I use CoPilot GPS for Motohomes/Vans on my phone/tablet and that lets you input weight, length, width and other restrictions. I find it good. The only let down on it in my opinion is their search functionality doesn't use the Google API, so no searches for places showing up from Google.

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
The trouble with using any of those apps is that when you arrive at the location there might well be other vans there too.

I prefer being on my own... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:
That's very true! I often use a couple of trucker apps to look for laybys as well. You tend to just drive until you find somewhere suitable, do you? I know a few people also like industrial estates :giggler:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You tend to just drive until you find somewhere suitable, do you?
Yes and no...

I have been pottering around the roads of Europe for several decades and I have come across plenty of suitable spots for short stays.

Once found, they go into my own personal storage system for future use.

Then I used to remember suitable stop overs as I drove past them for possible use later on.

But quite often, when in a new area, I have to use my experience and psychic FLT powers to find somewhere for that night.

My French Princess (aka yodeli), with whom I have toured often, will tell you how good I am at "overnight spot location".

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes and no...

I have been pottering around the roads of Europe for several decades and I have come across plenty of suitable spots for short stays.

Ah, yes... the UK is no comparison for the continent. :wait:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Not had the opportunity to use apps at the moment but I fancy W3W

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
irnbru - I use CoPilot GPS for Motohomes/Vans on my phone/tablet and that lets you input weight, length, width and other restrictions. I find it good. The only let down on it in my opinion is their search functionality doesn't use the Google API, so no searches for places showing up from Google.
This is also very useful, especially in Europe , it is made for truck drivers but as you will see from my screenshot below it shows filling stations cafes lay-bys , truck stops and all manner of things, in France it is brilliant for finding Les routiers.
It is called truckfly, and can be found in the app things.
We use it quite a lot to find truck stops.
Screenshot_20210706-154543-166.png

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
searchforsites lists quite few good pub stops now too

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is also very useful, especially in Europe , it is made for truck drivers but as you will see from my screenshot below it shows filling stations cafes lay-bys , truck stops and all manner of things, in France it is brilliant for finding Les routiers.
It is called truckfly, and can be found in the app things.
We use it quite a lot to find truck stops.
View attachment 513778
This looks good chaser, thanks for sharing!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We can only tick two on the vote but we have all of the apps listed above and generally use a combination of them as well as Britstops. Can’t have too many options.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Have you tried using the "navigate to" button on P4N? We do that and then select Sygic from the GPS options. This gives us the functionality that you're talking about. I can't see why CoPilot wouldn't do the same?

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you tried using the "navigate to" button on P4N? We do that and then select Sygic from the GPS options. This gives us the functionality that you're talking about. I can't see why CoPilot wouldn't do the same?
Hmmm, I've tried that and used the functionality to get to a site or park-up, but I'm referring more to finding a place for a good curry, for example :giggler: At the moment, I just copy coords from Google Maps into CoPilot - I find that works well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back