Free Member
Aug 2, 2011
Swansea, South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004 on and off
Hi all, just book Dover to Dunkirk return ferry crossing August 24th to August 31st, cost £38.

It's my first time on the Continent driving so I'm a bit unsure. Any advice you can give at all about law requirements regarding equipment, documents, etc and also good campsites in Beligum would be greatfully received at this moment in time, cheers. :thumb:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Paul
Your Passport, a copy of your Reg Docs, insurance cert, m-o-t cert,drivers licence(card &paper)
I Never stayed in Belgium so can't help with campsite
Oh and remember to drive on the wrong side of the road
:roflmto::roflmto:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Don't drive on the wrong side of the road, you'll have an accident.

Drive on the correct side of the road, better still, follow everyone else, especially if they're Belgian/French/German/Dutch etc etc.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Nice little municiapl site in Ypres, ideal for the Menin Gate and war graves. Last year it was 12 euros a night with leccy :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Paul
Just like the other posters so dothing to add:thumb:, other than last year we was an the aires at Mont St Michael parked next to a Belgium couple who had hired it for the week, over a beer he said he loved driving around France in the MH, as every body was driving very courtiously letting other road users in and out etc:thumb:, but in Belgium we just get in our cars and drive like F**k,:winky: so be warned that came from a local. :thumb::thumb::thumb:pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Belgian toilets

To avoid possible embarrasment, you should be aware that most Belgian toilets do NOT provide toilet paper - you are expected to take your own with you.

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
My advice.. for what it's worth ..

Forget Belgium.. only good thing is cheap baccy and the road out of it.

turn right and head for France :france: .. :thumb:

how can you say forget Belguim when one of the best places to visit is BRUGES

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypXLMIJpUiw&feature=related[/ame]

BRUGGES ITS IN BELGUIM

chocolate shops, canals, belguim beer, horse carrage rides plenty of sight seeing can't beat it

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My advice.. for what it's worth ..

Forget Belgium.. only good thing is cheap baccy and the road out of it.

turn right and head for France :france: .. :thumb:

A bit negative I think. The first time I took a motorhome abroad was to De Haan, a lovely little town (well it was then - about the time of the first crusade). Belgium also has 70miles of sandy beach and you can get to all of it by the coastway tram which goes at quite a lick.:thumb:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I spent Xmas and New Year in Bruges and loved it. Travelled across the country twice and loved it so much I plan on going back. Road conditions are a bit iffy but then the UK can hardly brag :thumb:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we liked belgium more than france, much nicer little villages than france. ghent is a fab city with a brill castle in the middle. we stayed in the ardennes a gorgeous town called la roche. The camp site was called benelux and is very near the town which has lots of cafe bars/restaurants/shops and supermarkets.. the war film battle of the bulge was written / based about the town and there is a museum in the center displaying all this. we shall be going back there in october..:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
There is a site on the outskirts of Bruges and an aire by the coach station. Futher afield try Oudenaarde and there is a site near Waterloo. I have only used a Scout site at Merkenveld and my cousins house near Brussels.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
We love De Hann as well as its not too far a drive from the ferry, we also stayed on a nice site in Grimbergen, handy for Brussels(a short bus ride away) and right next door to the village open air swiming pool
Veldkantstraat 64, 1850 Grimbergen
+32-47-976-0378
the area is well known for its beer and there is a beer museum in the town.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can recommend Bruges, visited twice, but in a m/home maybe park outside the city and walk/bus in.
Also the Menin Gate and St George's church at Ypres. I think everyone should walk through the arch and see all those names. The Last Post is played each night at 8p.m. http://www.greatwar.co.uk/events/menin-gate-last-post-ceremony.htm

Enjoy your trip. Just take time when emerging from petrol stations, lay-bys etc... to stay on the right. If you do get stressed by the driving on the right thing, just stop for 5 minutes.

When I first moved to France I used to sing "the right side of the road for me, stay on the right" and such like to the tune of Lock Lomond!!!

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Can also thoroughly recommend the municipal campsite in ypres. We went there on our first foreign trip to France (I know it's in Belgium!) three years ago. It's just far enough from the ferry to get to without doing too much driving on the first day!
It's very popular as it's so central to the town & Menin Gate so it would probably be advisable to book.
see here for details & reviews:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6064

OP
OP
P

PaulT4

Free Member
Aug 2, 2011
Swansea, South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004 on and off
Can also thoroughly recommend the municipal campsite in ypres. We went there on our first foreign trip to France (I know it's in Belgium!) three years ago. It's just far enough from the ferry to get to without doing too much driving on the first day!
It's very popular as it's so central to the town & Menin Gate so it would probably be advisable to book.
see here for details & reviews:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6064

This is where we're booked in as it happens, so all good there, you've put my mind at rest. Thanks for all your comments and advise so far::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back