New digital cxamera - advice please (1 Viewer)

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
I am wanting to buy a new camera, and thought I would start looking for advice here!
My main uses would be for view/lanscapes/seascapes/sunsets and close up photographs of plants/wildflowers. There would also be some use for people - particularly the Grandbaby, and wildlife so a good zoom is also important.
At the moment I have a fairly basic Sony digital, which has taken some good pictures, but fails on very close up flowers and does not have as wide an angle veiw, or close a zoom as I would prefer, and I would like a viewfinder as well as the preview screen.
I think that I could get a digital SLR that would suit my needs, but this would be both expensive and heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to possible sites/forums which could guide me? I feel sure that there is a camera out there, made for me, but it is where to begin............. Also any magazines that would help?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think that I could get a digital SLR that would suit my needs, but this would be both expensive and heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to possible sites/forums which could guide me? I feel sure that there is a camera out there, made for me, but it is where to begin............. Also any magazines that would help?

The same issue I have..

My Nikon SLR is heavy and I was looking for a lightweight SLR, I can't get on with compacts with no viewfinder..

This looks like a good contender .. http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Overview/LUMIX+G1+-+Like+an+SLR,+only+SMLR/1567142/index.html

My wife Jan uses a Panasonic compact and it takes excellent photos.. but with no view finder I find it hard to use..

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Fuji HS10 or HS20 both 30X ZOOM any good ? Not as expensive as SLR type and photos and zoom are good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I was nearly warned off of an SLR digital.

I wouldn't be swayed and Nikki bought me the Olympus e450 for xmas.

I love it and it takes some great pics. I am slowly reading digital SLR forums and my photography is improving all the time. Try reading on line digital photography magazine, its quite useful.

I am now nearly ready for my next lens, know what a histograph is and the Olympus has a view finder as well and a video facility that I have never used.

A reasonable price too. :thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have just bought one of these:

Panasonic Lumix FZ45

I used to work as a photographer many years ago and I have been very involved with photography since I was a schoolboy.
I just couldn't get to grips with digital cameras, for some reason; the early models were so bad that they put me right off.

Anyway, the camera I've just bought is a 'bridge camera', like an SLR in the functions it offers but without changeable lenses.
The lens it has, though, gives super wide-angle capability and a zoom that equates to a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera (more than I'll ever use!)
And all for around £200. :thumb:
I've only had it a few days but I am unexpectedly impressed.

(My kids are learning photography now, with some old SLRs, 35mm film and wet technology. Much more satisfying.. ::bigsmile:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've got a Panasonic GF2 - utterly brilliant camera. Have a look at one on line. Not cheap but very good indeed

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
I bought a Canon Powershot SX210 IS digital, it is not too bulky (pocket size) has a 14 optical zoom and 14.1 megapixel, I am well pleased with it, nice and basic for the less photgraphic minded like me, but has lots of options too for techies. I got it from Amazon for £157.50 so it was a real bargain, we recently went to a music festival and it zoomed right up to the stage from well over 150ft away, takes mega sunsets and close ups!:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Canon Ixus 95IS is a compact with a viewfinder and travels everywhere on my belt. I have 'better' cameras but of course they are never with me when I want them. Zoom range is very limited at 3:1 (optical) but there has to be some penalty for portability.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks to you all for your help.
Will be spending the evening researching:Smile:
Will no doubt have lots more queries - and will get back in a day or two, with them.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
I am wanting to buy a new camera, and thought I would start looking for advice here!
My main uses would be for view/lanscapes/seascapes/sunsets and close up photographs of plants/wildflowers. There would also be some use for people - particularly the Grandbaby, and wildlife so a good zoom is also important.
At the moment I have a fairly basic Sony digital, which has taken some good pictures, but fails on very close up flowers and does not have as wide an angle veiw, or close a zoom as I would prefer, and I would like a viewfinder as well as the preview screen.

Hi I"ve done photography for over 44yrs I would go for a Digital SLR and the best you can afford Nikon or Canon are the leaders and you"ll not go wrong with either plenty of choice of lens for every thing you want.
Go and talk to your local camera shop [ London camera exchange] at least
they know wat they are talking about.
Happy Snapping:thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The best available is Link Removed Ok it costs around £550 BUT, it would be the last one you would ever buy and the residuals would be very good!

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
How much is your budget Magbrin and what are you looking to do with the photographs you take?

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
How much is your budget Magbrin and what are you looking to do with the photographs you take?

Good question::bigsmile:
Mainly as records - days out, holidays, etc - including a catalogue of wild flowers - stored on computer with prints of some of the best, but as we have a small shop in the highlands and as I have taken some good pictures on my little Sony, I have an inclination to take, print, frame and hopefully sell some local landscapes and (because the shop is part of a herb and wildflower nursery) maybe some wild flower photographs.

Budget circa £500 +/- £100 (more minus I suspect:Sad:) I think, having had a look at all the cameras so far suggested, I need to make my list of priorities and identify something that will fit the bill. I am not in a hurry, and will be flying out to the States later in the year. Am thinking that I might get something either at the airport (as long as I know by then what I want) or, indeed, while we are in USA. Does anyone have any experience of buying cameras in America or know if they are still value for money? I bought my first very early digital camera in Boston about 12 years ago:Blush:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I left school 30 odd years ago Magbrin to join a newspaper as a photographer and I have been shooting professionally ever since. I love big cameras and currently shoot with a Nikon D2X and a a Canon D1.

I shoot portraits, all with studio flash so these out dated cameras give me all the quality I need. Bear in mind they were £4500 each when new so they are very much top end.

They are big though and I don't often carry them around for holiday snaps, for those I use an Iphone4......

There is some talk about the new Lumix G3. I love the "proper" looking lens on it over the Canon G11.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/ Lumix G3 report

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/ Canon G3 report

How big are you looking to blow up the images of the flowers?

stew

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi

The new DSLR Nikon D5100 16.2mp and a range of lens to suit pocket and need. 4 frames a second and aslo full 1020p HD video.

It will point and shoot or blow your mind with all the bells and whistles it is capable of.

Kevin and Tricia

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
How big are you looking to blow up the images of the flowers?

stew

Probably A5, A4 max.

Should be working ........................ will research mor tonight, and thangs again to you all for assistance:Smile:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I left school 30 odd years ago Magbrin to join a newspaper as a photographer and I have been shooting professionally ever since. I love big cameras and currently shoot with a Nikon D2X and a a Canon D1.....

...There is some talk about the new Lumix G3. I love the "proper" looking lens on it over the Canon G11...

stew

I have used everything from biscuit-tin pinhole cameras to 10x8 plate cameras and these 'mirrorless' cameras, as Stew mentions, are the first digital cameras that have impressed me.

Image quality comparable to (argue amongst yourselves ::bigsmile: ) a DSLR but much smaller, lighter and faster (argue amongst yourselves ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ).

Last week I was in the pleasant position of being able to spend as much money as I desired on a camera and I eventually spent £200 on a Panasonic Lumix!

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Canon G11 Best bridge camera in my MHO.
Link Removed
See what you think, I'm no expert at photography.:RollEyes:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Bought the magazines, looked at the links, visited many websites ....................... still confused.
But working my way through what I really want. Think (at the moment) probably "bridge" type. I'm not a wannabe pro, just like taking good pictures. Need wide angle and good zoom - and some seem to have good range (but are they as good as SLRs - no need to answer that of course not, but are they good enough for me, probably yes), and want macro facility, image stabaliser, rechargable batteries, and viewfinder, and preferably light and easy to handle.
But there again, basic DSLR with a couple of good lenses ............... mmmm
Have to go and sleep on it ...........again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Think (at the moment) probably "bridge" type.

Yes.

and

No.

I've an old Fuji 9500 bridge. It handles like an SLR, takes all the pics and movies I need. Full manual control for those blurred water pictures or small depth of field. Newer versions will be all anyone needs. Some of the new ones look too small to handle nicely.

But

It does not fit in a pocket. In my pocket is a Lumix with 12:1 zoom and 4x digital zoom. Digital zoom BAD, well no, at full 48x zoom it produces pictures that are good on a big computer screen. All it lack is full manual control and the composing on screen is impossible if the sun is in the wrong position.

No to SLR. Too much to carry, more to go wrong and half the time the wrong lens is fitted.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for your thoughts, guys.
I have today invested just over £200 in a 6+ month old (still with guarantee to run) Canon SX30 IS on ebay . If I like it, it is a bargain, and if not ....... hopefully I can resell and buy a compact system or DSLR
Will no doubt be back with some queries once I have started using it
All the best and safe travels
Magbrin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back