Aug 1, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
New
Hi All,

I've had a 2.5 V6 Mazda Bongo for about 3 years but now is the time to move on. I've just bought a Globecar 566UL from SMC in Newark which I am due to pick up in a couple of weeks - can't wait.

I've had a good look around the forum and I must say I think it will prove a mine of useful information in the coming weeks.

ATB,

Adrian.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Adrian, a couple of weeks wait in August, it will seem like an age! Exciting times::bigsmile: welcome to the Fun :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome Fun, hope to you enjoy your new van, try and get to one of the Fun meets good fun and good company.:welcomefunster:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
HI and welcome you will have to go a long way to beet this site:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Hi All,

I've had a 2.5 V6 Mazda Bongo for about 3 years but now is the time to move on. I've just bought a Globecar 566UL from SMC in Newark which I am due to pick up in a couple of weeks - can't wait.

Hi Adrian,

A few months since your original post. I would be interested in hearing how you are getting on with your Globecar. They are very keenly priced and I like the layout, however the marque seems to lack user reviews on the web. I would appreciate your views.

Best Regards

Al

OP
OP
S

splash2

Free Member
Aug 1, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
New
Hello Al,

Although we got the van quite late in the summer we have made quite a lot of use of it. Several long weekends together and various fishing trips on my own. So far it has been faultless.

To drive, the Globecar is definitely a van, unlike the old Mazda which drove exactly like a car and had the smoothest automatic gearbox I have ever driven. That said, being a van conversion it is considerably slimmer than a coach built motor-home so driving through narrow lanes on the Welsh borders is not too much of a pain. I opted for the 140 engine and I'm glad I did. There's plenty of power for steep hills and I'm sure you could cruise the motorways at speeds far higher than the national limit if you wanted to. I'm fairly sure that the extra horse power contributes to a very respectable 30 - 35 mpg too.

The conversion is of superb quality and there is plenty of storage for 2 people. The bed is easy to pull out, is plenty wide enough and really comfortable - I think I sleep better in the van than I do at home.

The loo is what you would expect, though a little cramped - the shower remains unused. I would think you could take a shower in there but you'd have to be desperate. I'm pretty slim but I think I would struggle with the lack of space. In practice, this hasn't proved to be a problem as we've always used sites with showers.

The heating / hot water system makes those chilly evenings easy to bare and doesn't seem to get through as much gas as I would have expected.

The kitchen area is tiny but, with a little forethought and planning [combined at times with the use of a BBQ] it's perfectly possible to knock out good meals. We had an additional flip-up worktop fitted which has proved to be a real bonus

Overall I'm delighted with our van. I really don't know how they can do it for the price - if you go on to Ford's UK web site and 'build your van' to the same spec, the base vehicle alone would be more expensive than the fully converted Globecar.

If you are anywhere near Gloucestershire and would like to chat or have a poke around the van then please feel free to drop in.

Regards,

Adrian.

P.S. I forgot to add that these vans are made by Dethleffs so you can guess at the quality of the workmanship.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Hi Adrian

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm looking at a van conversion and will certainly keep the Globecar in mind and take onboard your comments about the pricing. I did manage to find a review:

http://www.motorhomemonthlymagazine.com/reports/globecar-566u/

Thanks again

Al

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back