scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
7.2 million UK drivers are "GPS racers" says survey

The study also claims that 150,000 people have admitted to being injured in collisions while racing their own GPS system.

Link Removed

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I read about this yesterday (the one that I read was in the Daily Mail of course, so it must be true) and admit that I had never heard of it before. Having given it a bit of thought, I suppose most people get a bit of pleasure out of seeing the arrival time edge forward ,but it certainly never occurred to me that people actually try and beat the time of arrival......

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger

The study also claims that 150,000 people have admitted to being injured in collisions while racing their own GPS system.

Link Removed

I always beat my sat nav. Only because I have they speed set at 45mph as I am not in any hurry !
Rob
:Smile::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Never heard of it.

TBO must people are driving slower in my honest opinion anyway.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Link Removed

7.2 m people must have very boring lives!!!

Only time I even look at the arrival time is collecting people/dropping people off at airports.
Nearly missed a flight last year :Eeek: Roads blocked in Bergerac--my guests were let on flight but their luggage wasn't & I ended up having their padlocks cut off to remove goats cheeses they were taking home, and then delivering their luggage to them 2 months later when I went to the UK.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Driving long journeys can be boring, especially on hundreds of miles of Mways .. so anything to break the boredom.. I am conscious of the TT estimate and generally look to see how accurate it is .. but never try to beat it.. I'm actually surprised how accurate it can be.. especially on longer journeys.

Before GPS the kids would always ask 'RV there yet' or how long before we get there .. so like most I guess, would do a mental calculation, then subtract a couple of hours to keep them happy.. that ruse only works until they realise you were fibbing :roflmto:

Now Chaz checks TT .. takes all the fun away

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds rather high to me. Smells of one of these low sample, directed question type surveys designed to get high figures.

Will they have taken into account lorry drivers who can't speed when calculating the total from the sample? And I bet there are other things they didn't take into account.

They are saying 20% of the population races their GPS and perform dangerous manoeuvres. surely the accident rate would be much much higher if 1 in 5 drivers do this?

If this is a reflection of Sainsbury's insurance customers though:ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We don't race it, AFAIK never even crossed 'our' minds.

Will be interesting to see how Trophychap answers this one!

Wonder what %age of Sainsbury's policyholders actually have SatNav?

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
I will look, but I am sure on mine [TT 1005] and I would assume all others, the ETA drops/shortens as you get nearer your destination......’till your ETA is 00.00.....so how can you beat it?..........:RollEyes:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I find the TomTom arrival estimate to be much more accurate than the built in one on the car.

However, I just wonder what the exact wording of the question was....... That could have a big bearing on the actual answer and the people who really try to beat the satnav might not be those who look at the satnav and delight in being a bit quicker. Just a thought

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I will look, but I am sure on mine [TT 1005] and I would assume all others, the ETA drops/shortens as you get nearer your destination......’till your ETA is 00.00.....so how can you beat it?..........:RollEyes:

TT has both ETA and driving time left .. depends on what options you choose when setting it up

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I assumed you look at the ETA/journey time as you set off, then see if you beat that at the end?

The Satnav knows a lot better than your car what speed you are actually doing, that's why it's more accurate. Your digi speedo will say you are doing X mph and your TT etc will say different most times. Always agree when stationary though ..... :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My TomTom always cheats and is always have extra goes at guessing the arrival time, then at two minutes out it will proudly state we are 2 minutes away::bigsmile:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
My Navman is very optimistic when giving ETAs!

Even in the car we reckon the only way we could arrive at the ETA stated at the start of the journey is to break every speed limit en route.

In the motorhome we usually add about half an hour onto the satnav's ETA! :roflmto:

I tend to use Google to get a more realistic journey time for our trip planning.

Steve

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
My Navman is very optimistic when giving ETAs!

Even in the car we reckon the only way we could arrive at the ETA stated at the start of the journey is to break every speed limit en route.

In the motorhome we usually add about half an hour onto the satnav's ETA! :roflmto:

I tend to use Google to get a more realistic journey time for our trip planning.

Steve

In your set-up menu there is likely to be a section in which you can insert your preferred driving speeds on various road types, such as 'A' and 'dual carriage ways' etc etc. Your sat-nav will use these values to estimate your ETA. From what you say perhaps they must be set far too high (or 'fast'). Speaking for myself, I too am always amazed at how accurate mine is with the ETA. A Garmin I have also asks if you are a 'car' or a 'wagon' or a 'cyclist'. I set that one to 'wagon', even when I use it in a car, as I prefer my ETA to be pessimistic for obvious reasons - but even then it's surprisingly accurate, I suspect because journeys always take longer rather than shorter than expected.

PS I meant to ask - how's BritStops going?

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
In your set-up menu there is likely to be a section in which you can insert your preferred driving speeds on various road types, such as 'A' and 'dual carriage ways' etc etc. Your sat-nav will use these values to estimate your ETA. From what you say perhaps they must be set far too high (or 'fast').

PS I meant to ask - how's BritStops going?

Thanks, Squire, I'll have a dig around in the sat nav and give that a go.

Brit Stops is going well, thanks! If you're going to any of the shows coming up over the next couple of months you might see us.

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tomtom is crap at eta's.. Garming is spookily accurate..
And yes, Have been know to race the GPS if I am bored !

Beat it about 20% of the time I spose

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
My sat nav gets bored waiting me to catch up:Eeek:
don't do quick anymore
had a gut full of that when I was working:thumb:

I usually look at the time of arrival and go yeh wright:thumb: