Surely this can’t be the case can it? (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I’m mad “no not insane”

I am purchasing a Chausson Premium 768 XLB which I think is a great buy; the problem is it is in Bolton and that is where it was first purchased.

This MH is only 10 months old; now obviously if I get problems I don’t want to travel 230 miles every time to get it repaired; having said that if it was a large repair I would travel.

I phoned a Chausson dealer in Chichester which is near to me to see if they would support the warranty should it need any work; they told me that I would not find a company which would support a vehicle which has been bought from another dealer.

This makes me so mad; I would of thought that being a dedicated dealer for any make it would be part of their conditions to be a dealer.

What the hell would happen if you were abroad with the vehicle who would pay then or repair it?

I can’t believe this is correct but perhaps you people can put me straight.
:swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2:

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I think you will find it only happens in the UK.
Hymer have a Pan European warranty but most UK dealers take the piss and don't comply.
But surely they get paid for the repair so what is the problem; I just don't understand!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But surely they get paid for the repair so what is the problem; I just don't understand!!!
They charge customers £60 - £80 an hour, manufacturers only pay about £40 for warranty repairs. All the time their workshops have a 3 month waiting list they couldn't care a toss, don't even like doing warranty work on vans they have sold.
Different mindset aboard most dealers only too happy to do warranty work, they look at it as extra income.
UK appear to go out of their way to piss off the customers apart from a friendly dealer on here who goes out of his way to help people Simon-Alan Kerr.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if its a used vehicle, and you have been over it and under it, there is a good chance that any issues/niggles relating to the manufacturer warranty have been sorted, so it might not be an issue, but of course i understand your predicament and bemusement, it does seem odd

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
f its a used vehicle, and you have been over it and under it, there is a good chance that any issues/niggles relating to the manufacturer warranty have been sorted, so it might not be an issue, but of course i understand your predicament and bemusement, it does seem odd
The MH in question has only done 1140 miles and I've checked everything is working at the moment; but it seems just what I wanted at the price I could afford; so I am prepared to take the chance; I suppose any small problem I'll pay for but a major problem I'll have to bite the bullet and travel.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I suppose as it's on a Fiat Ducato anything to do with the engine or running gear I could try a dedicated Fiat Dealer; or do you think I will get the same answer.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I’m mad “no not insane”

I am purchasing a Chausson Premium 768 XLB which I think is a great buy;

If you're running the van at 3,500kg then keep an eye on the payload. The 768XLB may only have about 200kg left for passengers, gear, water, bikes etc.

It's a lovely MoHo but it is definitely one of the more challenged vans for usability.

If you add the tow bar and extra bed then you won't have any payload available at 3.5T

Be careful :)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
If it’s the right one for you go get it. If anything goes wrong then just take it to your usual workshop and get things done. if you had to take it back to the dealer you bought it from and they wanted it for days to sort you would have all extra costs, travel, hotels etc. Good luck. (y)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
The Chausson dealer you are talking about is just up the road from me.
Their reviews are really good but I’m sure it only relates to vehicles purchased from them.
I enquired about a repair to my Hobby that could be carried out by any caravan accredited agent and they were not interested.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I nearly bought a MH from a dealer 65 miles away. Before i put the deposit down i checked with my local service people 3 miles away, A&E Leisure that they could and would do any warranty work on the van. They confirmed they could and would.
I put the deposit down but ultimately had to cancel the order.

Deleted User
The MH in question has only done 1140 miles and I've checked everything is working at the moment; but it seems just what I wanted at the price I could afford; so I am prepared to take the chance; I suppose any small problem I'll pay for but a major problem I'll have to bite the bullet and travel.
Best Wishes Tony
Having read a lot of posts on this forum about faulty new motorhomes it seems it is almost certain you will be paying several visits to get warranty repairs done. I don't know if this applies to your motorhome choice but best to accept that is the likely outcome.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Having read a lot of posts on this forum about faulty new motorhomes it seems it is almost certain you will be paying several visits to get warranty repairs done. I don't know if this applies to your motorhome choice but best to accept that is the likely outcome.
I think it's best to plan for the worst but hope for the best. With it being a sellers market at the moment it makes it a harder decision at least you're thinking about it before you buy.

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
When I bought my new MoHo last year I called Adria to discuss this issue as the dealer that had the van I wanted was 400 miles away! They were very good and put me in touch with a more local approved workshop (who do not sell motorhomes) who have been great. Several warranty jobs done without pain. For anything Fiat, I go direct to the Fiat commercial dealer.

Agreed, the way it works is rubbish, but it is what it is. It will be a big consideration / discussion with manufacturers before buying my next one.

Good luck with the purchase.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Check with Chausson that the warranty and guarantee is automatically transfer over to the new owner when buying a second hand vehicle, because this is not always the case with all manufactures/converters as we found out.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I’m in the same position with my new (then) chausson bought from Birmingham - I’m in Southampton . Any major work including the damp issue that I have means a trip to take the van there , leave it a week and then go back and get it !!! But like one of the previous. Contributors stated the Fiat component can be carried out at a local dealer . The problem really is with chausson and their dealer “network” - not an appropriate term in think

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We purchased our Sunlight from a dealer in Stoke-on-Trent, we live in Somerset.

Fiat garage is only 5 miles away (luckily), but we have warranty work waiting to be done on the hab side. 2.5 to 3 hours travel and they can’t guarantee it will be done in a day. So options are two journeys or a hotel for the night…….all at our expense.

Once the big hab jobs are done I’ll probably forget about the warranty, and get a local firm to do jobs (that I can’t do ) at my expense. 🤷‍♂️

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Brakers please ensure it has had the Chausson mandatory hab checks and these have been recorded in the Service Handbook and stamped by the servicing Chausson dealer. This is required to maintain the Chausson Warranty.

Good luck with the purchase.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Welcome to the motorhomers world. A very small minority of dealers will help with warranty work but very few. Nothing changes in 2021. I had an Autotrail in the late eighties and it was the same then. I was forced to travel many miles for help.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I’m mad “no not insane”

I am purchasing a Chausson Premium 768 XLB which I think is a great buy; the problem is it is in Bolton and that is where it was first purchased.

This MH is only 10 months old; now obviously if I get problems I don’t want to travel 230 miles every time to get it repaired; having said that if it was a large repair I would travel.

I phoned a Chausson dealer in Chichester which is near to me to see if they would support the warranty should it need any work; they told me that I would not find a company which would support a vehicle which has been bought from another dealer.

This makes me so mad; I would of thought that being a dedicated dealer for any make it would be part of their conditions to be a dealer.

What the hell would happen if you were abroad with the vehicle who would pay then or repair it?

I can’t believe this is correct but perhaps you people can put me straight.
:swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2:
I am not sure about Chausson but our local independent “Approved Workshop” has carried out all our warranty and servicing requirements for over 30 years. They are “Approved” by all the major British motorhome/caravan builders and some Foreign ones too. They are just a repair and servicing centre and don’t sell motorhomes.

Check if there is one in your area that covers Chausson. Unfortunately, I believe that some “foreign” manufacturers insist warranty work must be carried out by one of their dealers.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Brakers

Just a reminder that the Chausson warranty is in addition to all your consumer rights against the supplying dealer under the Consumer Protection Act regarding any defects that come to light after handover.

Having said that, what surprises me a bit is the "we don't care" attitude of some MH manufacturers towards warranty claims:

(a) paying a lot less than the going labour rates to the franchised dealer(s) handling warranty claims; and

(b) Not enforcing contract obligations of UK dealers to carry out warranty work, regardless whether they are the original seller.

[Based on my experience of drafting international distribution agreements, that always included this obligation, that all authorised dealers / distributors signed. If the distributor repeatedly failed to honour warranty claims, so that end customers complained to the manufacturer I worked for, the distributor would get harsh words from the Sales Director, warning letters, potential claw back of discounts or rebates at annual review time, and eventually their franchise would not be renewed. In addition the manufacturer would contact the customer with apologies and offer to collect the goods and carry out warranty repairs at the factory FOC. NB This wasn't the MH industry but B2B high value leisure industry equipment manufacture and supply. The company was keen to protect its reputation.]

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you're running the van at 3,500kg then keep an eye on the payload. The 768XLB may only have about 200kg left for passengers, gear, water, bikes etc.

It's a lovely MoHo but it is definitely one of the more challenged vans for usability.

If you add the tow bar and extra bed then you won't have any payload available at 3.5T

Be careful :)
I looked it up and it had over 500kg of payload, but by the time you allow for extras fitted & up to 5% overweight it will be very tight.
IMO trying to run any van over 7m at 3500kg is just crazy, most cases it ain't going to work.
Tony travels solo so providing he loses 10 st he should be OK. :rofl:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry don't understand this buying from hundreds of miles away if you are worried about hab checks and warranty and stuff, especially as we are looking at a motorhome that might be short of payload.
Surely there must be something similar closer to.
If you was looking at a private buy and taking any warranty on yourself, maybe a different thing.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I looked it up and it had over 500kg of payload, but by the time you allow for extras fitted & up to 5% overweight it will be very tight.
IMO trying to run any van over 7m at 3500kg is just crazy, most cases it ain't going to work.
Tony travels solo so providing he loses 10 st he should be OK. :rofl:

Yep, very good points Lenny :cool:

The 768XLB MIRO is 3,093kg in the 2020 brochure but this only includes a 75kg driver, small gas and 90% fuel.

All the other stuff, including the EU +/-5% variation is extra. A tow bar is 60kg (according to the brochure and the front bed is the same).....

Therefore with a slightly chunky driver, tow bar, awning, UK packs and UK trim, telly, solar, front bed and a slight variation for the materials being used then I reckon the 768XLB will only have between 50-80kg of payload remaining....

......and this is with no passengers, water, bikes, waste water, toilet contents, bigger gas, clothes, food, beer, second hab battery etc.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
........buying from hundreds of miles away......

We did as we had no choice due to a very sparse dealer network (Plymouth, Newark or Inverness only)....

.....and it has proved to be a proper pain in the arse for repairs etc.

Won't be doing it again.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The don’t pay enough, quibble when the do, and take ages to pay

Blame the manufacturer’s

Also the motorhomes industry is a cottage industry, with even the bigger names, just converters really with multi faceted warranty issues, rear light XYZ front light Fiat for example, causing ‘we’re not paying that’ arguments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back