Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
We are thinking of having a few days in kent next week.

I want to pop inti Vicarious books in Folkestone ...obviously they have a load to offer...........we are going to france later this year and want to do Holland/Germany next year...which books have the folks here found most useful ??

Any good CLs around folkestone (no more than 25 mile away ish?? )

barry

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Vicarous Books

I find their guides to European aires, stellplatz etc. very comprehensive and useful.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For Germany .. The Bordatlas

For Aires , any one of the FRENCH publications.. IMO far better than the English version

For Sites. The CC Club have two Europe guides which are hard to beat Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
'Complete guide to all French aires' just been rereleased in 3rd edition, bought it few weeks ago before our first trip to France and found it very good with lots of accurate information, photos, GPS coordinates, size and number of available spaces, info on local area etc etc

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Some of the photos in 'All the Aires' leave a bit to be desired on occasions we've found but each to their own and in any case, it depends on the other occupants on the day, same as campsites.

At least the photos are real and not 'holiday brochure' styleee, I remember a friend being asked to move out of shot by a Club Mark Warner photographer. Why? Surely they wanted pics of holidaymakers enjoying themselves? Because she 'only wanted beautiful people in the photo for the brochure'. I don't think they paid for any more drinks that holiday! However we were told once by a MW hotel manager that the lady in question had gone onto their flat roof to take some photos once - and the ladder had mysteriously disappeared until darkness had almost fallen ....

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
'Complete guide to all French aires' just been rereleased in 3rd edition, bought it few weeks ago before our first trip to France and found it very good with lots of accurate information, photos, GPS coordinates, size and number of available spaces, info on local area etc etc

I agree with Manda.... Nearly all the Brits we meet in France (and it is many) Have "all the Aires in France" it may be the 1st....2nd or the 3rd edition....many love it....but there are a few on the forum's hate it, saying it is not all the aires in France...
Some have camper stop.....
Some have the white book "le guide national des AIRES DE SERVICES camping-cars,
And I have come across a few motorhomers with a old version of the green book year 207,or the 208 edition "le guide officiel Aires de Services Camping-Car"....

We use "All the Aires in France" .....3rd edition...(we do have the other editions)
The white book,"le guide national des AIRES DE SERVICES camping-cars ...
And the latest July 2011 download onto a pen drive of Camping car info.....
rd edition

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Some have the white book "le guide national des AIRES DE SERVICES camping-cars,
And I have come across a few motorhomers with a old version of the green book year 207,or the 208 edition "le guide officiel Aires de Services Camping-Car"....

That's the ones I used Mel.. think mine may be older :roflmto:

What I found annoying with "All The Aires" FIRST EDITION , it was clearly not 'all the aires' in fact it was only about a third, they should have been more honest and titled it without the word ALL... IMO it was a misrepresentation.

So, what do they call 2nd and 3rd editions .. ? All The Aires France + the ones we omitted in the 1st edition ? .. :RollEyes:

I'll stick with the French publications.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That's the ones I used Mel.. think mine may be older :roflmto:

What I found annoying with "All The Aires" FIRST EDITION , it was clearly not 'all the aires' in fact it was only about a third, they should have been more honest and titled it without the word ALL... IMO it was a misrepresentation.

So, what do they call 2nd and 3rd editions .. ? All The Aires France + the ones we omitted in the 1st edition ? .. :RollEyes:

I'll stick with the French publications.

Jim I agree.....drop the "ALL".....but it is still a very good Aires book:thumb:.....and many French ask us how to get hold of the book......each to there own and what suits you:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.....and many French ask us how to get hold of the book......

well, that does surprise me.. the French are normally very patriotic.. they must be trying to get a free copy from you .. :roflmto:

as you rightly say, each to their own, but i think a lot of newbies and not so newbies to French aires were misled by it...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
well, that does surprise me.. the French are normally very patriotic.. they must be trying to get a free copy from you .. :roflmto:

as you rightly say, each to their own, but i think a lot of newbies and not so newbies to French aires were misled by it...

I think you are getting out of touch Jim.......they are also getting gennies ..."What the French with a generator " Heavens forbid........:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: also the Belg,and Nederlands ??? what is the world coming to

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think you are getting out of touch Jim.......they are also getting gennies ..."What the French with a generator " Heavens forbid........:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: also the Belg,and Nederlands ??? what is the world coming to

nahhh your having a larfff.. a Frog with a gennie ..:Eeek::Eeek:

you'll be telling me next they like paying for aires :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
nahhh your having a larfff.. a Frog with a gennie ..:Eeek::Eeek:

you'll be telling me next they like paying for aires :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

AH......you have GOT ME THERE JIM ...NO!.... they still do not like paying for Aires....that is why they are putting pay machines in to catch the late comers and early leavers....also at the Calais port aire (7 Euros, and the Marina spot)...they was coming round every hour,checking and catching the motorhomers...it says 24 hour parking.......it does get a bit naff when they are looking in at your window every hour....and boy did they catch some while we was there for three days.....and also motorhomers quickly leaving that had just arrived !!!! hehehehehe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
AH......you have GOT ME THERE JIM ...NO!.... they still do not like paying for Aires....that is why they are putting pay machines in to catch the late comers and early leavers....also at the Calais port aire (7 Euros, and the Marina spot)...they was coming round every hour,checking and catching the motorhomers...it says 24 hour parking.......it does get a bit naff when they are looking in at your window every hour....and boy did they catch some while we was there for three days.....and also motorhomers quickly leaving that had just arrived !!!! hehehehehe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yes, I have seen it all Mel, up and away before the man comes around .. then back later the same morning ... as if we would do anything like that ..:roflmto:

I met a lady of Germanic origin who virtually lived on Mimizan Plage aire .. and never ever paid a cent.. .. lovely lady who knew all the dodges.. we became quite friendly .. her van was like a showman's wagon inside.. you meet all sorts on aires.. :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
yes, I have seen it all Mel, up and away before the man comes around .. then back later the same morning ... as if we would do anything like that ..:roflmto:

I met a lady of Germanic origin who virtually lived on Mimizan Plage aire .. and never ever paid a cent.. .. lovely lady who knew all the dodges.. we became quite friendly .. her van was like a showman's wagon inside.. you meet all sorts on aires.. :thumb:

Hehehehe :thumb::ROFLMAO: YES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back