We are thinking Suffolk!🤔 (1 Viewer)

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We live in the South West (Bristol) so the obvious choice is Devon Cornwall Wales which we have pretty well covered with or without a MH.
Visited the Norfolk coast last year and really enjoyed it. Could go North to the Lake District but I’ve heard it’s rammed!!
So we fancy Suffolk (not sure why)Any recommendations we like dog friendly beeches and country walking preferably near a village pub! We have two weeks to fill first two weeks of July.
Any recommendations for campsites really appreciated. Thanks

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Nice CL at Assington - farm shop and decent pub nearby. Plenty to see near Woodbridge, plus also further east near Shotley. A really nice county. I am biased ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We live in the South West (Bristol) so the obvious choice is Devon Cornwall Wales which we have pretty well covered with or without a MH.
Visited the Norfolk coast last year and really enjoyed it. Could go North to the Lake District but I’ve heard it’s rammed!!
So we fancy Suffolk (not sure why)Any recommendations we like dog friendly beeches and country walking preferably near a village pub! We have two weeks to fill first two weeks of July.
Any recommendations for campsites really appreciated. Thanks
What are you interested in doing / seeing?

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
What are you interested in doing / seeing?
We like country and coastal walks eating out and generally relaxing with a glass of red around the van.
If we were planning a trip to Wales we would spend half the holiday inland and half on the coast maybe 4 different camp sites.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Definitely Bury at Edmunds. You can overnight in the central car park MoHo park
Agreed but there are only 5 spaces in Ram Meadow.
Otherwise, Southwold (municipal campsite), Kessingland near Lowestoft - several sites. However, all the coastal sites will be busy from now on.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We like country and coastal walks eating out and generally relaxing with a glass of red around the van.
If we were planning a trip to Wales we would spend half the holiday inland and half on the coast maybe 4 different camp sites.
I know the N Suffolk coast better than Middle and South. If I were exploring, I'd spend sometime in and around Southwold and Aldeburgh in between and possibly a few days in Bury St Edmunds and Clare. I'd possibly go to Woodbridge for a short visit but would leave it to others to recommend other parts of the a South Suffolk coastline.

I could easily spend a fortnight in N Suffolk enjoying good food and drink; even Lowestoft has amazing fish and sea food if you know where to go.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I know the N Suffolk coast better than Middle and South. If I were exploring, I'd spend sometime in and around Southwold and Aldeburgh in between and possibly a few days in Bury St Edmunds and Clare. I'd possibly go to Woodbridge for a short visit but would leave it to others to recommend other parts of the a South Suffolk coastline.

I could easily spend a fortnight in N Suffolk enjoying good food and drink; even Lowestoft has amazing fish and sea food if you know where to go.
Thanks very useful I’ll have a look at those areas.👍

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Won't hurt to stray over the border into Essex ...

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
plus one for the shotley peninsular we only found it our selves a few weeks ago theres a pub in shotley you can park up for the night for ÂŁ10
drive down to shotley gate and you can walk a circular from the marina round the battery and back down the road
Alton water has all the walking you could want as well as fishing sailing kyaks etc and there is a campsite there is a beautiful tudor stately home at ewarton unfortunatly not open to the public but worth seeing from the outside as its setting hasnt changed since it was built

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
White Beach at Kessingland - C&MC
Mollets Farm - CL
Jadine Camping - Private
Darsham & Beccles / Gillingham have nice local village CLs
Waveney Centre - Private
Southwold - Council run site

I hope that helps

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thetford Forest area for forest walking, Get to the Ramsholt Arms the other side of Woodbridge good pub, food and tidal river side walking, Shotley Gate stay down near the marina then get water taxi across to Harwich fish n chips, tour of Mi Amigo Pirate radio ship, and a historic walk, then water taxi across to Felixstowe watch the containers being unloaded with a coffee then a tour of Landguard fort then back to Shotley Marina.
Dedham with Flatford Mill is good walking country even from parking at Manningtree

Deleted User
Living nr Cambridge we venture to Norfolk and Suffolk on a regular basis.
Just back from Beach View campsite at Sizewell, nice facilities including fully serviced hardstanding. Friendly warden, nice small bar area with sea terrace and direct access to beach. Great pizza from outside oven, superb fish and chip from mobile van one day a week.
Like this site as its not over commercial and even when full seams quite. Great walking from site , 20 minutes drive to Aldeburgh.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Anywhere coastal from bottom to top. Try not to miss Orford, Aldeburgh, Thorpness, Southwold, Walberswick.
Inland Bury StEdmunds, Lavenham, Hadleigh, Clare, all on the South Suffolk tourist route.
Phil

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Great feed back everyone thanks a million (y)
I'll get cracking on planning a route to cover off the reccomended destinations.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
We, like you had been to Norfolk so decided to give Suffolk a try, stayed at Cliff House Holiday Park - nice site direct access to the beach or walks along the cliffs, with a bar and restaurant on site , which had just reopened after lockdown and the menu was a bit underwhelming
Next door to RSPB Minsmere with lovely walks - we saw Avocets, Hobby's and Marsh Harriers among others
Aldburgh - lovely little town, fresh and smoked fish from huts on the beach, also motorhome friendly car park at Slaughden and a Martello Tower
Thorpeness - interesting place with a mere and the House in the Clouds
Southwold - has a nice little pier with interesting "auto-matronic slot machines", walk to the harbour for lovely fish and chips or seafood from Sole Bay Fish Company and a rowing boat ferry to Walberswick
Woodbridge - another nice town next to Sutton Hoo
Was going to go to Lowerstoft but never made it, as it also has a pier and the promenade south of the river looked nice
Happy travelling

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Kessingland?

Horses for courses but I wouldn't spend much time there; there are prettier beaches and far nicer villages south of Kessingland. Africa Alive is fun though and the car boot sale on Sundays is good if time permits but maybe not a tourist highlight.

South Beach Lowestoft is possibly the nicest beach North of Kessingland before you hit Norfolk but there isn't a great deal else to see or do around Lowestoft unless your shopping or heading North to the theme park or West towards the Broads. I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong...

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
While in Lowestoft you can stand on the most easterly point in the Uk, also a very nice little marine museum if that rocks your boat, also a restored herring trawler in the harbour to nosey around.
Bawdsey on the coast is a visit if your into the development of radar as is Shingle street

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Blimey at this rate I'll be in Suffolk for a 12 month!!:LOL: Great info!

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just a west suffolk lad wishing visitors to get the best out of a trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back