Google Chrome under attack from hackers. Update immediately. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Attention readers, if you are using Google Chrome browser on your Windows, Mac, or Linux computers, you need to update it immediately to the latest version Google released earlier today.

Google on Wednesday rolled out an urgent update for Chrome browser to address 14 newly discovered security issues, including a zero-day flaw that it says is being actively exploited in the wild.

Tracked as CVE-2021-30551, the vulnerability stems from a type confusion issue in its V8 open-source and JavaScript engine. Sergei Glazunov of Google Project Zero has been credited with discovering and reporting the flaw.

Full story here.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Will the Laptop (windows 10) update itself? I've never done any updates manually 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks. :) To avoid confusion this does not include Chrome running on Android. My Android tablet is running 4472.88 which is up to date but when I turned on my Windows tablet and opened Chrome it started doing an automatic update and after closing and reopening Chrome it is now on 4472.101
I think if people have automatic updates turned on it shouldn't be a problem.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Why would anyone want to use anything from Google? It’s just a data collecting organisation. Same as Amazon. Use Fire fox, for a browser duck duck go as a search engine and buy stuff direct from companies instead of Amazon

even my Android powerd TV is not connected to the internet I use a media server and Apple TV.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Will the Laptop (windows 10) update itself? I've never done any updates manually 🤔
If it does what mine did if you open Chrome you will see a message about it updating itself. Then just follow the on screen messages to relaunch it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why would anyone want to use anything from Google? It’s just a data collecting organisation. Same as Amazon. Use Fire fox, for a browser duck duck go as a search engine and buy stuff direct from companies instead of Amazon

even my Android powerd TV is not connected to the internet I use a media server and Apple TV.

Chrome has 65% market share...

Chrome gained this because it was faster than firefox back in the day by a huge margin. Things have narrowed since then but the market share has stuck.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
The quickest way to check/update is to go to Help | About Google Chrome from the menu accessed via the three dots on the top right. It will update itself if necessary as did mine.

1623311997697.png

Deleted User

You object to Google Chrome but use Apple TV......puzzling.
I won't go anywhere near anything Apple.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You object to Google Chrome but use Apple TV......puzzling.
I won't go anywhere near anything Apple.
The difference being Apple will not use the data in the same way as Google, Amazon or Facebook. Apple privacy Google privacy amazon privacy Facebook privacy there are big differences in philosophy and actual processing. the only way to not have anything on the internet is not to be connected.

So nothing puzzling if you truly understand what data is collected how it is used and shared.

But as they say you pay your money and take your choice.

Did you here the story of Uber........how they deliver for restraunts, how Uber used and continues to use the data to understand what the customers of these restaurants order, and now those restaurants are receiving less business as Uber have opened and provide business to dark kitchens to provide consumers with the same meals but from their own food preparation centres. The restaurant owners had the same 'blind' faith in that they had nothing to worry about in terms of sharing thier customer data with Uber.......no for some its too late thier business are taking a big drop in revenue.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Done. Three dots - settings - security - check settings (or something similar) and it already said it's updating đź‘Ť

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Do not panic too much. Most Google Chrome apps update automatically. Latest version as of me posting this is:
91.0.4472.88 2021/06/03

Edit. Corrected the version, my error, .4477. should have read .4472.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

Chrome, Safari, Opera and Edge (and many others) all use the same underlying Webkit base to their browsers. And with these specific bugs, the issue is with the 'V8 Engine' part of Chromium, which is also used in Edge, Opera (and others). Quite a lot of web servers use Node.js, which also uses the V8 Engine. If you use an Android phone, the browsers built into apps will probably use Chromium. Even if you are avoiding Google, you are still probably using code they developed.

Deleted User
The difference being Apple will not use the data in the same way as Google, Amazon or Facebook. Apple privacy Google privacy amazon privacy Facebook privacy there are big differences in philosophy and actual processing. the only way to not have anything on the internet is not to be connected.

So nothing puzzling if you truly understand what data is collected how it is used and shared.

But as they say you pay your money and take your choice.

Did you here the story of Uber........how they deliver for restraunts, how Uber used and continues to use the data to understand what the customers of these restaurants order, and now those restaurants are receiving less business as Uber have opened and provide business to dark kitchens to provide consumers with the same meals but from their own food preparation centres. The restaurant owners had the same 'blind' faith in that they had nothing to worry about in terms of sharing thier customer data with Uber.......no for some its too late thier business are taking a big drop in revenue.
To be honest I am not too worried about certain aspects of my data being used, security obviously not included.
I have only had one interaction with Apple and that was by purchasing a, what I naievely supposedto be, an mo3 player. itunes then proceeded to attempt to upload all my music files and it was difficult to halt the process and then the only way to add music was via iplayer.....too controlling for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Most of the UK population used to live in small villages, everyone knew everything about you. Where you kept your sheep, when your crops were ripe for stealing, when your wife and daughter were alone. Not many would like to run those risks now.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Most of the UK population used to live in small villages, everyone knew everything about you. Where you kept your sheep, when your crops were ripe for stealing, when your wife and daughter were alone. Not many would like to run those risks now.
The difference is that you used to know the people that knew these things.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Here's a nice tinfoil hat for you Coolcats
il_570xN.2709638419_lpjs.jpg

Not quite the complete truth, and no context. Nor an accurate conclusion
Dark kitchens have been specifically created to service the rapid growth in the food delivery business such as Deliveroo, JustEat and UberEats.
They are cheaper because they have no dining area nor customer service staff.
They can operate out of town, and have a smaller footprint because of shared storage & equipment.
They allow a small brand to expand rapidly without taking on major debt.

The major chains, when involved, will have their own employees in the kitchen.
There is no theft of intellectual property.

It has nothing to do with business being stolen from dine-in restaurants, all about expanding their ability to facilitate take-away [and has probably saved some businesses during the lockdown].

Whether or not that's a good business decision will depend.
But it has nothing to do with data collection & sharing.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014

... But I won't go near anything Apple ... I don't like the way they suck you into their 'ecosystem' and very expensive hardware.

Google is fine by me, does what I want and I accept the risks involved.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
... But I won't go near anything Apple ... I don't like the way they suck you into their 'ecosystem' and very expensive hardware.

Google is fine by me, does what I want and I accept the risks involved.
I agree with the Apple stance. And I used to be fine with Google. I put all my eggs in their basket. Better the devil you know, etc.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that there's a point where they know too much. Every additional bit of data they have on you increases the value of other data they have about you. So instead I've started to spread my data around. Yes, more chance that any one bit will be misused and flogged off. But it'll only be a fragment of my 'profile' rather than giving one company enough data to infer what colour my underwear is today.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I agree with the Apple stance. And I used to be fine with Google. I put all my eggs in their basket. Better the devil you know, etc.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that there's a point where they know too much. Every additional bit of data they have on you increases the value of other data they have about you. So instead I've started to spread my data around. Yes, more chance that any one bit will be misused and flogged off. But it'll only be a fragment of my 'profile' rather than giving one company enough data to infer what colour my underwear is today.
Black :LOL:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Incidentally, the use of remote [dark] kitchens isn't a new idea for many chain restaurants - even quite high end ones.
Food can be prepared offsite, in bulk, quality assured, then frozen or chilled.
Distributed to the outlets for reheating & plating, meaning less kitchen space required, lower skilled staff [cheaper] employed, consistent standards throughout the chain.

At Heathrow, no open flame cooking is allowed - hence all Gordon Ramsay's T5 Plane Food restaurant is all cooked offsite.

Deleted User
Incidentally, the use of remote [dark] kitchens isn't a new idea for many chain restaurants - even quite high end ones.
Food can be prepared offsite, in bulk, quality assured, then frozen or chilled.
Distributed to the outlets for reheating & plating, meaning less kitchen space required, lower skilled staff [cheaper] employed, consistent standards throughout the chain.

At Heathrow, no open flame cooking is allowed - hence all Gordon Ramsay's T5 Plane Food restaurant is all cooked offsite.

Wetherspoons :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back