Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Why should I buy a Kindle ?

Where and how much do the books cost ?

Are there any free titles in the memory ?

Answers on a postcard please.....or via MHF

Many thanks Funsters ....:whatthe: :Doh: :Blush: :thumb:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You can get a free Kindle reader for your PC.

See Link Removed
Yes, there are free titles available.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I have one (bought from Hilldweller) and its the best gadget I've found in a long while.

I've not paid more than about £4 for a book yet, downloading is simple and quick, although a 3G version may be more convenient than the Wifi that I have, particularly for a newspaper subscription.

The most obvious advantage for me is that, travelling a lot (and not usually having the space that The Rosabella gives me), I can take as many books with me as I like. I can jump from book to book and it takes me straight to where I left off.

Its a great piece of design. Sure, it doesn't look, feel or smell like a book, but it is in itself a nice-feeling bit of kit. It's light and slim.

I can turn pages without disturbing K when she's in kip and its screen, with its 'electronic ink' is very easy to read, even restful on the eyes - the font size and page orientation can be varied.

I've had to use the helpline a couple of times and on both occasions it has been easy and efficient and has answered my problem quickly.

Downside - drop it in the bath, smear sun cream on it, cover it in sand and it isn't going to last long. I also wish there was some way of it being lit so it can be read in a dark room without putting the light on. And it doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing as a shelf full of hardbacks.

All in all, and in short - it suits me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Yes, get the 3G one, hundreds of free books, direct access to the Amazon book store from the device anywhere in the world (where 3G is) FREE, no monthly sim card costs, lifetime included in initial cost. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are thousands of Free books, and a few of mine (but you pay for those) available on the Kindle. Kindles rock:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I also wish there was some way of it being lit so it can be read in a dark room without putting the light on.

Kindle do a case with a light. Or most book shops sell 'clip-on' book lights.
With the 3g you can also access and post on MHF .
Mike

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why should I buy a Kindle ?
Where and how much do the books cost ?
Are there any free titles in the memory ?

It's a seriously good piece of kit at a bargain price. It does one thing brilliantly, pretends to be a book, readable in sunlight. 100 books takes up half an inch of MH space. Battery lasts a month between charges. It is all too easy to buy a Kindle book anywhere in the world if you get the 3G version, if you buy the cheaper WiFi only version it is still all too easy when in range of a WiFi hot spot.

Books are too expensive, wife, she who reads many, gets lumps of tree cheaper in Tesco's.

There are many free books out there, type "free books" into Kindle on Amazon and quite a lot are, mainly old classics now out of copyright.

I sold my Kindle and bought an Android tablet because it displays Kindle books but is also a general purpose computer, so appealed more to me. Can't read it in sunlight but can in the dark. Battery lasts a day.

There is, as always, a competing platform, Adobe Digital. This has it's own series of readers, like Sony.

Both Adobe and Kindle have readers for the PC.

If you wanted an easy answer, tough !

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I also have a download and synch facility on my phone, incidentally, which I also use.

Nothing to do with the thread (sorry for that) .... just wanted t to say ...love your avatar ... reminds me of some book i particularly love!!!:winky:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I read a lot of fairly obscure books, most of which are free or nearly so (less than a quid) I have bought books at full price but these are generally cheaper than paper versions.

My Kindle cover has a light, powered from the Kindle which enables comfortable reading in the dark. Without the light and the 3g turned off a charge will last a month. I normally only turn on the wireless if I need it to save battery power as it takes several hours to recharge.

A very useful bit of kit. There are currently 300 books in the memory and still plenty of room.:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Brilliant bit of kit.
I am an avid reader and have spent a grand total of 76p in books for Kindle since Xmas.
Lots of free books about for Kindle, all legal downloads.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Nothing to do with the thread (sorry for that) .... just wanted t to say ...love your avatar ... reminds me of some book i particularly love!!!:winky:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Je vous en prie.....:Smile:

Incidentally, that book is available as a PDF for the Kindle - free of charge and with illustrations.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm not usually a gadget person but I am in love with my Kindle :Smile:

It's helped me to overcome a huge concentration problem. No idea how, but it has.

I have the 3G one--I've not really much idea what that means but sitting next to a lake in the middle of rural France I downloaded the Motorhome Buyers Guide in less than a minute.
Loads of free and very cheap books. I am laughing my way through Diary of an On-call girl at the moment.

Love it.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Rather than bore you about how much I like my Kindle lets just say I've waited for years for a gadget like this to come along, it's my must have.

Rgds
Bill

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I bought one for my wife

lovely thing so I bought one for me .......Someone I know bought 5000 books from ebay on dvd

I got to download these ...cost him about £7 Im thinking are they "dodgy" as all the current chart toppers are there.......in fact everything is there.Perfect quality.

So Ive got enough reading for the rest of my life at the size of typeface I choose not the publisher !

Also Internet access even though it a bit clunky
And when you are tired the thing will actually read to you :Smile:

A neoprene cover cost me less than £4 from www.7dayshop.com

I think my kindle is just great.

A whole library in your campervan

barry

ps look out for a programme called Calibre
its a brilliant way to keep your library on your computer and tranfer to the Kindle

its free look for tutorials on you tube.

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Bought one last week..best thing is the 4500 free books on amazon. Basically Ive got enough books for a lifetime. I considered buying 3g, but I reckoned on downloading books at home rather than on the move, lets face it if you can download 100's of books on the Kindle, are you really going to need to download on the move, well not for me..

The kindle has actually saved me money, Id thought of buying certain books which would have cost me £100's if id purchased them. As most are classics then they are free..

I suppose it depends on what you like to read... When i first found the free books on amazon, I was downloading like mad like a child ripping open christmas pressies. When I realised the amount of free books, I calmed down and was more selective.

Of course I could read these on a laptop etc, but the kindle itself is lightweight and easy to carry around etc..

Hope this link works for the free books on Amazon

Link Removed

-
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=amb_link_157483207_1?ie=UTF8&node=434020031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1X046XA7EDKHEDHYWD6C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=220353107&pf_rd_i=434020031#/ref=sr_hi_2?rh=n%3A341677031%2Cn%3A%21341679031%2Cn%3A%21358547031%2Cn%3A434020031&ie=UTF8&qid=1311311710"] [/ame]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back