Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Honest truth ?

I think most of the people who fit them just slap a thin coat dulux on :Angry:

TowTal fitted mine and after less than a year it is covered in rust ( not really impressed with the way it has been fitted either, as they bolted to a hollow part of the chassis and have collaped it in :Eeek: :Angry:

As soon as we are back in the UK in September I intend ( given the time ! ) to whip it off and get it powder coated.. Will also give me a chance to fit proper spacers and TRY to straighten the chassis the idiots damaged

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As it's plastic coated rather than just painted it shouldn't rust unless the coating is damaged.. have you contacted PWS ?

How old is it , did you get any warranty against rusting ?

A picture of the bar showing the rust would be useful ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Funny that, I just have had a look at mine as I was changing the grey drain pipe yesterday.

It was fitted by Mike Parkinson (Freckleton near Preston) 2 or 3 years ago, and still looks in good shape. :thumb:

For tow bars, scooter rack etc he is one of the best I know, & he is good on price. I have used him for years & fully recommend him. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Funny that, I just have had a look at mine as I was changing the grey drain pipe yesterday.

It was fitted by Mike Parkinson (Freckleton near Preston) 2 or 3 years ago, and still looks in good shape. :thumb:

For tow bars, scooter rack etc he is one of the best I know, & he is good on price. I have used him for years & fully recommend him. :thumb:

Yes !! Very proper chap indeed ( and if my memory serves a bit of a biker in his time too.. :winky: )

I only found out he did motorhome tow bars after I had mine fitted.. Have spoke to Mike a few times over the years and he really does come across as a very genuine guy

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I have just had a new one fitted, apparently they are having problems with their powder coaters. They were very good and stated the original could not be re coated as the rust would just come back, having looked at it I am sure a good sanding and a good coating of hammerite would do the job.

I will try and work out how to post some pictures later today, if anyone has a use for the old one, I would be willing to sell it at a fair price to help someway towards the cost of the new one as mine was out of warranty :thumb:

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Pictures of Tow Bar as promised :thumb:

New one:

Link Removed

Old one:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

I don't know if stone chips have caused the rust, any comments?

It is bl@@dy heavy though :Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It appears themajority of that is road rash damage
The bar can quite easely be sand blasted and re powder coated:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Thanks, thought it may be as it sits quite low.

So does anyone want or need a tow bar for a fair price? ::bigsmile:

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
They were very good and stated the original could not be re coated as the rust would just come back, having looked at it I am sure a good sanding and a good coating of hammerite would do the job

Sadly hammerite is no longer as effective as it used to be (but probably much 'safer' !!)

Not sure if any funsters know of a more effective paint, other than the aforementioned blasting & power coating?

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Blasting and acid dip and galvanising is probably more durable but wont look as nice

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Frosts sell a product called por-15 I think, I used it when I restored a Citroen H van which are noted for rusting.It lasted many years without rust returning

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I have one and I found rust had formed behind the magnetic GB signs I had stuck to it. Obviously water had got behind them and hadn't dried out causing rust spots in the paint that won't polish out. It's definitely not plastic coated.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have one and I found rust had formed behind the magnetic GB signs I had stuck to it. Obviously water had got behind them and hadn't dried out causing rust spots in the paint that won't polish out. It's definitely not plastic coated.
Ours from PWS is plastic coated and is only now showing a little détériorions after 19 years

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Ours from PWS is plastic coated and is only now showing a little détériorions after 19 year
You are doing well then. Mine definitely has rust, only a little I grant you, but it's there and its definitely only powder coated.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes !! Very proper chap indeed ( and if my memory serves a bit of a biker in his time too.. :winky: )

I only found out he did motorhome tow bars after I had mine fitted.. Have spoke to Mike a few times over the years and he really does come across as a very genuine guy
He did mine earlier this year - a good job and a decent man.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I'm getting a little bit of rusting around the welds. it is powder coated, can these be touched up with a thin coat of white hammerite

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Anyone here got a PWS Tow Bar?

I have had a rust problem with mine, wondered if anyone else has.

http://www.pwsacc.co.uk/motorcaravan-towbar.htm

I always waxoyl my towbar as must as I can when fitted new .

Interesting you can see a motorhome fun sticker on my motorhome as it is used for their cab steps if you going down the page slightly .

I found they are very helpful and under new ownership if I remember .

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Keith said, It was fitted by Mike Parkinson (Freckleton near Preston) 2 or 3 years ago, and still looks in good shape. :thumb:
We are on our third towbar , all fitted by Mike and everyone including current one is in great nick, cannot recommend him enough !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back