New van has no oven or grill ..... how do other Funsters cook (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
On our fourth van now and have opted for no oven after van two, we found we rarely used it and when we did it wasn’t that great. We now use a double skillet and we even do toast in it.
We bought a low wattage toaster from Asda, Montrose for the Gobur Folding Caravan, and, thanks to the extremely limited work surface, managed to burn a large hole in the 'cool wall' plastic on the first afternoon ... It's since won 3rd prize in the Halloween Competition and can cook toast as quickly as 1 slice every 5 minutes when the sun's shining [1 side sunburnt, the other peely walley from all that heat ...]

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wouldn't have a van without an oven and grill. I use mine at least 4 days out of 7

The other 3 i get fed at work ,😁

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Hi all,

We are due to pick up a "new to us" van next week, 2015 Carthago compactline. It has no oven and grill, just a 3 burner hob. We have been looking at perhaps buying a small electric mini oven and grill but thought we would seek some good ideas from other funsters.

Thanks all
Omni oven.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My van has one of those silly ‘warming ovens/grill’ and it only gets used as another storage cupboard. I have a Ramoska and slow cooker (winter use mainly) for when EHU available. A ridge monkey and a gas hob toaster when off grid. Wouldnt part with any off them except the fitted oven!!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Off grid we use a Ridge Monkey, heavy non-stick pan, gas ring toaster (we do have a gas oven)
On grid we use a Remoska-will cook whatever you want cakes to roasts, Slow Cooker-makes good jacket potatoes and dry roasts, G Foreman type grill and any/all the above!

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We had two larger motorhomes with ovens , never used them but they made good breadbins. Have a pvc now with two gas rings , no oven . The extra storage is great and we use a safari chef 2 . If we need to have a roast we pop to a pub . If we do ever get back to the ‘Europe’ continent (🤞🏼😬) we definitely dont need ovens there, ( the spanish must think we are loco having ovens inside) get outside, cook outside, eat local. Keep the van cool and no smells.
A little electric hotplate is really handy on hook up.
Enjoy the van, sounds perfect!

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
We have an oven and a grill, but you won’t beat one of these for toast over the hob but cook it with lower grid just slightly red. We’ve tried others but their not half as good. Ours is 12 years old now and still going.
958F748A-1708-45E3-83C9-5AD2077B6E3F.jpeg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We only have two rings no oven, we take our food with us whether a nice veggie curry, soup, spaghetti bolenaise meals are pre prepared at home and taken with us. It’s no issue. We also have a lotus grill for outside and an Ooni for roast veg, pizza or making bread really do not need an oven.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Another vote for the Ridge Monkey - we've got the XL version after recommendations on here, and it really is excellent. We've cooked beefburgers, sausages, toasted sandwiches in it so far. If you go for the low fat sausages etc then we find those suit the RM better as there are less cooking juices.

We've also got a Cadac Grillo Chef, but that's yet to be used for the first time, so I can't comment on how good (or otherwise!) that is yet 😊🤞

Finally we've got one of the smaller Remoska cookers that we use when we're on hookup, and we really like that as well - it's handy to have.

I guess it's a case of finding what suits you most. An oven was on our list of "wants", but was the only thing our motorhome didn't have, but it's proved not to be a problem, and tbh it's good to have the extra storage.
I just wanted to update my post, now that we've used our new Cadac Grillo Chef 2. I must admit we're chuffed to bits with it. We are using it with a reusable / washable BBQ mat which is easy to wipe off, so the grill doesn't get messy. We heat the Cadac up on full heat then turn back to medium after a few minutes, and for us it cooks brilliantly. We've got it connected to our MH BBQ gas point using a 2m hose. So far, so good! 😊

Here's a link to the BBQ mats we use with the Grillo Chef (there are lots of other makes / venders, so this is just for example) - I've just trimmed the mat down to the size of the Grillo Chef's grill, so we can put the lid on.

DMartin

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 27, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Jerba Sanna (VW T6)
Exp
since 2017
We were converted to Remoska last year. Agree it's an aquired taste (pun intended). Just for info, the Remoska is only 400W (or 650W for the 'grand') so you can run it as well as a kettle or similar without tripping. Big advantage too if (eg in France) only 6A available. The Remoska heats to 200C or so within 10 minutes so basically a small oven. Have baked everything from bread to baked potatoes, roast veg, sausage, chicken etc etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back