Oct 22, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Noob!
Hello Westfalia fans,

Does anyone know where the EHU charger is located in the latest Columbus models? I've noticed that it is charging the AGM batteries at a float voltage of 13.5v. I contacted Varta and other a couple of Varta distributors and all suggest that a float voltage for the Varta AGMs should be 13.4v, and even lower for long term EHU hook up. Ah the joys of AGM batteries! Therefore I am wondering if the charger is configurable...

Thanks
Will

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is 0.1 of a volt so critical? Have you used a test meter to check the voltage at the battery posts, as there's often some panel instrument discrepancy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
willstones

willstones

Free Member
Oct 22, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Noob!
I think it should be under the passenger seat.
Thanks, I'll check there, not sure what I'm looking for but hoping I'll recognise it if I see it.

Is 0.1 of a volt so critical? Have you used a test meter to check the voltage at the battery posts, as there's often some panel instrument discrepancy.
Not usually, but when in long term storage it would ideally be more like 0.2-0.3v lower (so ~13.2v) which is what is recommended by the battery manufactures. See the excellent battery info site here http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ehu-full-time-yes-or-no.php

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Mine's in my drive so I leave the EHU and therefore the charger turned off and just turn it on about once a month to give the batteries a refresher charge if needed after checking their voltage. I don't have any solar or constant drain items (alarm, radio, tracker.... so forth). My current Banner batteries are 6 years old now and still good. (Fingers crossed that they don't die next week).
I guess it's not so convenient if the m/h's away in storage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back