New van has no oven or grill ..... how do other Funsters cook (1 Viewer)

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Use are mini Webber bbq as a oven. Really good. Cool chickens in it. Pizza, jacket pots and anything else really. We have an oven and grill but don’t use it. Bbq then gets filled with extra charcoal and we use it as a fire pit to sit around. Not a ban on bbqs and they generate loads of heat for when it gets cold

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This is our first van without a full cooker, not had a lot of chance to use it, we have had a remoska since day one 11 years ago, great for when on hook up, can bake grill cook chicken , really good too for part baked bread, wouldn't ay i love them but now have 3 a new one in the van, the old one in my doblo and a grande at home, all apart from the new one very well used. Many years ago had a skillet, but it went with the romahome as son was having it. We also have a cadac which I love and find easy to clean if soaked in warm soapy water. Know our friends who bought the model before ours found it a nightmare am sure the coating has been changed. Van has microwave, it is handy for storing the bread lol
do want something to use stove top for when not on hook up and weather not good for the cadac, so may be looking at another skillet. I have one of the italian vrsion omnias, bought from fellow funster, I didn't get on with it either, found the shape was not really suitable for the types of food I like to cook. so it will be on offer again soon.
Can bring it to Peterborough if anyone is interested.
Had forgotten skillets are available again, off to have a search. we did use our full ovens quite a bit but am sure we will manage ok without.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MickandHelen
Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
Thanks everyone, esp Mr Porky, just been to Lidl, £34.99 to be going on with. Will have a look at some of the other suggestions in time.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We are geared up for non electric use, if we had electric as we do at the moment we use a low wattage kettle and also a remoska, but gas we use a Ridge monkey a good bottomed frying pan with lid and one of these. 😯
It's called a Nonna mince onion potato pie and apple cake. 😁 Bob.

Amazon product ASIN B00C0XRA2Q
IMG_20210331_191409936.jpg
IMG_20210331_192256933.jpg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Electric mini oven with grill and rotisserie (Lidl 30l 1500q so only draws around 6.5 amp). Good enough for a full roast and we've cooked suckling pigs in it. A Remoska - brilliant bit of kit and again can be used to roast small chickens etc. Finally a cadac safari chef which is used pretty well constantly.
Oh Please!, suckling pigs? Most I’ve achieved is a bacon butty….:LOL:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Camping is a change of lifestyle. Change it to suit what you have.
If you can afford a 'posh' van, perhaps you're expected to eat out?

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Another vote for the Ridge Monkey - we've got the XL version after recommendations on here, and it really is excellent. We've cooked beefburgers, sausages, toasted sandwiches in it so far. If you go for the low fat sausages etc then we find those suit the RM better as there are less cooking juices.

We've also got a Cadac Grillo Chef, but that's yet to be used for the first time, so I can't comment on how good (or otherwise!) that is yet 😊🤞

Finally we've got one of the smaller Remoska cookers that we use when we're on hookup, and we really like that as well - it's handy to have.

I guess it's a case of finding what suits you most. An oven was on our list of "wants", but was the only thing our motorhome didn't have, but it's proved not to be a problem, and tbh it's good to have the extra storage.

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
From my camping days I have a Coleman dual fuel stove (two burners). Use it to cook outside (bacon, onions, etc.) on those rare occasions when weather accommodating. Had a microwave. Used it a bit to warm milk. Abandoned it.
We only ever cook from scratch. Don't find there are any limitations.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I’ve just started using our Cadac Safari Chef 2, so far i’m chuffed to bits with it.

I’ve got a washable screwupable membrane that gets thrown into the washing up bowl afterwards, it’s so far cooked everything to perfection and not once have I had to clean any part of the Cadac itself.

In a word it’s brilliant, we love it tbh

However our DiL has recommended a Ninja, she swears by it. Has anyone used one in there moho

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I used to love those part baked baguettes until I saw this thread

I have experimented & now make bread using flour & the whey from my homemade yoghurt nearly every day! Make just enough by mixing with a knife & kneading until stretchy, then fry in a very hot dry pan. Sometimes I add garlic purée, sometimes the bread is thick (more like a roll), sometimes thin, like a naan! Very tasty, & so easy! You can use any plain yoghurt as well, by the way! I only use the whey so as not to waste it!

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I’ve just started using our Cadac Safari Chef 2, so far i’m chuffed to bits with it.

I’ve got a washable screwupable membrane that gets thrown into the washing up bowl afterwards, it’s so far cooked everything to perfection and not once have I had to clean any part of the Cadac itself.

In a word it’s brilliant, we love it tbh

However our DiL has recommended a Ninja, she swears by it. Has anyone used one in there moho
Alnval, where did u get the membrane from? (If thats not a personal question) 🙏

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi.

We have an Omnia. It is great , if away for weekend especially in winter we will take Pre cooked meals and jacket potatoes and re heat.

It does great cakes , calzone, lasagna or tartiflet. It will cook
Jacket potatoes from scratch but needs a while. Roasr veg etc does well.

It will do pizza if you shape them.....

The silicon liner is essential. I also added a thermometer to the lid. It does need practice to use but works for us with only a two burner job.

7C303599-1832-4F91-9F26-268E8918D1D0.jpeg

Last edited:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Alnval, where did u get the membrane from? (If thats not a personal question) 🙏
uzsnowdrop

my mate gave me one tbh, it was still sealed and i'm pretty sure it was in a Cadac packet as it was for the 47cm Cadac which mine is, i'll ask him later on. Honestly its bloody brilliant

Mine covers right up to the edge of the Cadac itself so any splashes of anything either burns my legs (ouch :ROFLMAO: ) or just drops onto the grass. i just used a spray on light oil, sparingly as watching the calories lol and away you go, when finished cooking the membrane simply goes into the washing up bowl, a quick wipe and ready to go again. Or just wipe clean with a paper towel, its awesome.

Edit: here it is

<Broken link removed>

cheaper on amazon but it won't let me post an Amazon link for some strange reason

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 14.29.39.png

Last edited:

bri

Oct 2, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR BENIVAN 122
Hi all,

We are due to pick up a "new to us" van next week, 2015 Carthago compactline. It has no oven and grill, just a 3 burner hob. We have been looking at perhaps buying a small electric mini oven and grill but thought we would seek some good ideas from other funsters.

Thanks all
We have neither oven or grill ,we saw this advertisement read comments and decided to try we bought the full package at around £130 .We go out for the day so need gas we took a shepherd pie we had to take out and spread around the pan as it has a hole in middle for the heat ..Maybe didn't look as nice but cooked through and was hot took around 40 min low light ..You have to cut things and place it around pan .Not had chance to do much as yet we also have a little camping gas stove so my husband plans to use that outside so can cook outside ..This is the link
https://brownbirdandcompany.co.uk › ...
Omnia Oven - Stove Top Cooking – Brown Bird & Co - Brown Bird and Company..
We have bought a grill rack for toast off Amazon ...Hope this helps..

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Doesn't any one else heat up ready meals in an oven?

We love all kinds of ready meals especially Morrisons Curry's and all kinds of M&S ready meals.:clap2:
Cheap and simply heat to eat ---- Simples :Eeek:
Yes we do and use a Remoska grande to heat em up it does the job excellently👍😊

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Especially when travelling daily to get south in EU we use our oven a lot when touring for 8 weeks, never used the grill but also use a microwave daily for porridge 😜. It all depends on your lifestyle & we would not want to be without one if available. Cook a lot on a single induction hob outside too, easy to manage the amps on foreign sites & usually carry a 2 ring gas burner for back up. Easy when you have lots of payload & garage for storage. Big compromises ahead with our PVC when it comes but it does have a small oven with grill & 2 gas rings 😊

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Three hob gas burner, microwave and toaster when on hook up.

I have a deep pan with a lid;

For oven cooked ready meals I put a trivet in the pan and fill with a suitable amount of water, pierce the ready meal pack a few times, place on the trivet in the boiling water, cover the pan and heat for 20 minutes or so, topping up the water as required.

Pies and such, wrap in foil, place on the trivet and heat in a dry pan on a medium heat for 20+ minutes.

Raw meats, pan dry fry for a longtime on a low heat.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
uzsnowdrop

my mate gave me one tbh, it was still sealed and i'm pretty sure it was in a Cadac packet as it was for the 47cm Cadac which mine is, i'll ask him later on. Honestly its bloody brilliant

Mine covers right up to the edge of the Cadac itself so any splashes of anything either burns my legs (ouch :ROFLMAO: ) or just drops onto the grass. i just used a spray on light oil, sparingly as watching the calories lol and away you go, when finished cooking the membrane simply goes into the washing up bowl, a quick wipe and ready to go again. Or just wipe clean with a paper towel, its awesome.

Edit: here it is

<Broken link removed>

cheaper on amazon but it won't let me post an Amazon link for some strange reason

View attachment 498961
🤔 Cadac Non Stick Skottel Liner
What was the ‘it’?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back