Caravan and Motorhome Club Cl 5 units? (1 Viewer)

dolly the dog

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
Maybe this has been covered before on previous threads but recently I have stayed on CL sites where the 5 unit requirement seems to be overlooked, on the CaMC website it does say that these sites are Small with 5 units, does it bother others that when you arrive this 5 units can be, in my personal experience anything up to 9, this can start to invade both your space, views and enjoyment of the site.
I understand times have been quite hard for the industry but I wonder if this 5 unit requirement is overlooked by the site owners that some people may vote with their feet and look at other ways to have stays to enjoy the space and seclusion the 5 unit Cl's offer.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Landowners sometimes have other permissions in addition to their cl/cs membership.

Of course, they could just ignoring the rules, knowing there's unlikely to be any sanction.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
If it is a real issue firstly speak to owner, then the Club. We have only come across this a couple of times, although we have come across strange CL boundaries with workers vans just outside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dolly the dog

dolly the dog

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
it does not bother me, and some places have a CL for the CAMC and a CS for the C&CC on the same field
Thanks for the comment, this is something I was not aware of, I assumed the sites were affiliated to the one club, I think maybe this could be pointed out when bookings are made so you know there could be more on site than you expect.

Last edited:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Last year when sites were allowed to open my mates CS regularly had 8-10 units on, no one complained. I guess that's because a lot of sites were full. If all owners had stuck to the 'rules' there would have been a lot of disappointed motorhomers.

OP
OP
dolly the dog

dolly the dog

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
Last year when sites were allowed to open my mates CS regularly had 8-10 units on, no one complained. I guess that's because a lot of sites were full. If all owners had stuck to the 'rules' there would have been a lot of disappointed motorhomers.
I fully understand what you say and maybe the problem lies with the CaMC who state that the CL's are for up to 5 units, they make no mention that other clubs may use the same site, maybe the fault is mine in not asking and only expecting the site to be affiliated to the one club, now I know this information I will in future call before I book and ask the relevant questions.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the comment, this is something I was not aware of, I assumed the sites were affiliated to the one club, I think maybe this could be pointed out when bookings are made so you know there could be more on site than you expect.
Whilst I can see most funsters are not bothered by the possibility of additional units on site I can see the point you are making as well .
It’s a bit unfair to advertise a site as being peaceful and “ only allowing up to 5 units “ but then arriving to find double that on site, . I can however see both points of view 👍🏻

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
One of the best CL’s we’ve stayed at (each hardstanding pitch had its own water and EHU and great position), was on a farm in Derbyshire. They had 2 x CL’s, an “A” and a “B”, but they were located in different fields and separated by a fence/hedge. If you were booking on the assumption that you were going to be one of a max five units, then you may have been disappointed, but as it was such a great site then I think the +’s would have quickly outweighed the -‘s. 😊

OP
OP
dolly the dog

dolly the dog

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
Whilst I can see most funsters are not bothered by the possibility of additional units on site I can see the point you are making as well .
It’s a bit unfair to advertise a site as being peaceful and “ only allowing up to 5 units “ but then arriving to find double that on site, . I can however see both points of view 👍🏻
As I said to Egg above maybe the CaMC could make people aware that other clubs use the same sites, (if they do I stand corrected, as I can't find any reference to this), and again maybe the problem is me assuming to much.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We've just got back from such a site and had this discussion. The site had hardstanding pitches for about 10/12 units but plenty of grass separating, ample EHU, water and an excellent facility block (which of course was not open until tomorrow ;) ). Rural, peaceful, we were happy to be there. In fact I don't think we've yet been to a CL/CS which only had 5 units on :LOL:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of the best CL’s we’ve stayed at (each hardstanding pitch had its own water and EHU and great position), was on a farm in Derbyshire. They had 2 x CL’s, an “A” and a “B”, but they were located in different fields and separated by a fence/hedge. If you were booking on the assumption that you were going to be one of a max five units, then you may have been disappointed, but as it was such a great site then I think the +’s would have quickly outweighed the -‘s. 😊

One of the CL sites we use has 5 vans on hard standing and a field that is rented out to another family member which the family member has as a CS and grass pitches. We'll be on the CS this time as the CL is full.

It doesn't worry me too much as there is so much space but we have been on a CL where there was also a larger site adjacent with only a wire fence and people from the site came across to use the CL facilities as they were closer than the site facilities for some of the units. I spoke to the CL owner (who did not own the larger site) but apart from installing locks and issuing keys there was little they could do as people just climbed over or through the fence. A hedge had been planted but was being trampled on a regular basis.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If someone is not happy with something why not just not use it ?
That's an option but why not tell the business owner if you're dissatisfied?
They may take onboard your comments & make changes...

...or they may not, in which case exercise your right to never darken their door again.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
CLs and CSs have exemption certificates from the relevant clubs/organisations which limit them to 5 vans, without the need to obtain a licence or planning permission. The site owners may have their exemption certificate removed if they take more than 5 vans. On CMC CLs, tents are not allowed and the exemption certificate applies to a specific location(eg field) and facilities that are for the exclusive use of club members, so two organisations using the same location is not allowed.
We have arrived (unbooked) at CLs to find 5 vans already there and would not stay or even ask the site owner to allow us to as we would not want to put them in the situation of having their certificate revoked and losing income.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That's an option but why not tell the business owner if you're dissatisfied?
They may take onboard your comments & make changes...

...or they may not, in which case exercise your right to never darken their door again.
I take the easy option, but to be fair I would not complain if there was more than 5 units. It’s hardly the crime of the century .

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
That’s the point really. Owners of CL sites that are allowing more than 5 are taking the **** out of the planning rules.
So what? I hear you cry........well if you lived in the area nearby and had 10 vans in the field next to your house,with the resultant noise and traffic,you may be mightily dis chuffed,particularly if the local planners had just turned down your application for an extension in your house or for a campsite in your nearby field.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
That’s the point really. Owners of CL sites that are allowing more than 5 are taking the **** out of the planning rules.
So what? I hear you cry........well if you lived in the area nearby and had 10 vans in the field next to your house,with the resultant noise and traffic,you may be mightily dis chuffed,particularly if the local planners had just turned down your application for an extension in your house or for a campsite in your nearby field.
I suspect if that was the case - said dischuffed home owner would have been onto the local authority and/or the appropriate club to complain.
Is a CL owner/operator allowed to hold Rallys if they have the space?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I suspect if that was the case - said dischuffed home owner would have been onto the local authority and/or the appropriate club to complain.
Yes,and yes!
I think they “get away” with it by also having a rally field...... May never be used for rallies of course.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The rules used to be that a rally field and CL had to have separate water, Elsan points and entrance. May have changed- it’s a long time since I was on a Centre Committee or run a rally.

OP
OP
dolly the dog

dolly the dog

Free Member
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
Thank you for all the information regarding my post, I must admit i was not aware some sites have differing permissions and maybe I should have spoken to the owners at the time, I will in future call and clarify that I am looking for a small quite site that suits my needs.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I can see your point dolly. If a site advertises or the club stipulates that a CL is 5 units then it creates an expectation in the mind of the customer that when they turn up there will be no more than 4 others on that site. I for one wouldn't like it if I booked somewhere on the understanding that there would be no more than 4 others on the site and then found 10 or more or two fields set aside with double that. That would be false advertising and I may have driven many miles to find out what the reality is. It may be that some here are ok with that but I like relative solitude and choose CL's for that reason. Fair enough if its made clear in the advertising that there may be more than 5 but if its not then it is not right. There are two sides to a contract and in this type of case if one side isn't delivering there may not be much that you can do about it except not stay but it isn't fair if you've paid your money on a false prospectus and are forced to move on and find somewhere that isn't conducting false advertising in the hope that people will just suck it up and stay.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Some CLs split the land up and apply for another CL exemption from an alternative organisation, that way they can have another 5 vans. Although you might find the additional one is registered under a different name.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
These small sites cost a fortune to set up, running electric, drainage, toilet and shower, elsan and fresh water. That money has to be got back before a profit is shown, allowing a few extra units on in busy periods helps achieve that. My mate invested in those things and for a CS it does ok, if he stuck strictly to the rules it would still be a meadow with a standpipe and a manhole, or possibly not even worth his time and not be there. I know what I'd prefer.

I'm sure the rules is rules brigade will be along soon to say differently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back