Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
:Smile: Good afternoon funsters.Has any one had any dealings with brownhills recently good or bad ?:roflmto:interested in finding out iff they have inproved.
JohnM.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Been good with me apart from leaving dirty boot prints in the shower after having a bike rack fitted :Sad:

pixorr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2011
Northants
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Before I purchased my Motorhome I was looking at Brownhills in Newark.
I had parked my car in their carpark and spent several hours looking around.
Very nearly put a deposit on a Autotrail apache.
When I got back to the car I thought I was seeing things but the side of my car had been completely trashed.
It had been hit by a motorhome and needed a new wing and door with the final repair bill being nearly 2k.
I remained calm as the area is heavily covered by CCTV. Guess what, it wasn't working!
Brownhills pointed at their car park disclaimer notice.
Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near them!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Brownhills - no thanks

I visited a couple of their dealerships and found them very pushy and very sleazy, and trying to sell me something I didn't want because they didn't have what I did want!

I finally bought from lovely Robsons of Wolsingham, Bishop Auckland, although they are 300 miles from me, and I didn't regret it!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I got back to the car I thought I was seeing things but the side of my car had been completely trashed.
It had been hit by a motorhome and needed a new wing and door with the final repair bill being nearly 2k.
I remained calm as the area is heavily covered by CCTV. Guess what, it wasn't working!

An unpleasant occurrence, but could have happened in any car park, probably with a similar response from the owners. I doubt Brownhills deliberately drove into your car, it was probably another customer.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I was in there on monday morning. Accessory shop good service and polite helpful staff as usual :thumb:

Had a look around the showroom as well and despite not being in my usual tee shirt and jeans and relatively smartly dressed was completely ignored by the sales staff, one of whom walked past me and didn't even say hello. I put it down to my own grumpy body language, but a potential customer is a potential customer. They do have a good selection of vans, though and I checked out a few that were interesting.

If the deal was right I would buy from them, but decided earlier in the year that buying locally was a better option.

The way I see it, the poor salesmen are damned if they do and damned if they don't.... I was ignored this time but would not have appreciated being descended upon either. However, a polite hello would have been nice; that is just basic good manners.

pixorr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2011
Northants
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
An unpleasant occurrence, but could have happened in any car park
Very true.
I found the whole experience unpleasant, the pushy salesman was like a hound after a fox when he could sniff a possible sale. :Eeek:
As soon as the damage to the car came to light he disappeared quicker than a Bugatti Veyron :winky:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

I have no axe to grind about Brownhills - far from it - but I have to say that I think it's grossly unfair to expect Brownhills to accept responsibility for damage in these circumstances. Why should they? THEY didn't cause the damage. Just because they provide their visitors a place to park doesn't make them responsible if someone damages a visitor's car or it gets broken into any more than it would make the local authority responsible if it happened in a municipal car park.

If you had a visitor to your house and their car was broken into whilst parked in your drive, as the householder would you feel you were legally responsible to pay for the damage and loss on that account?

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Very true.
I found the whole experience unpleasant, the pushy salesman was like a hound after a fox when he could sniff a possible sale. :Eeek:
As soon as the damage to the car came to light he disappeared quicker than a Bugatti Veyron :winky:

Of course he did ! HIS job is to sell motorhomes, not sort out disputes with the management. He doesn't get paid for that.

As for being 'pushy' - well, you to quote from your previous post, you 'Very nearly put a deposit on a Autotrail apache '. That's what salemen are for - to sell ! They have to make a wage, just like most of us they have family to feed and mortgages to pay. They aren't there just for for a fun weekend out ! Or because they've nothing better to do.

Usual disclaimer - I have nothing to do with Brownhills, not even as a customer, although they've tried to make me one several times.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Newark..
Excellent accessory range and staff very nice and helpful ..

Motorhome sales staff come across as a mixture of Delboy / Arther Dailey and one of the Krays

Tried to convince me that a creased front on the over head and a damaged tv aerial were actually normal and if I would sign today I could have a free bottle of champers ..

Would not trust the outfit further than I could throw one of their free bottles of asti spumante when it comes to motorhome sales ! ( sorry.. I know this is negative but I gotta speak as I find )

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Another branch of Brownhills gone

Swindon Dealership Closure

It is with deep regret that due to the economic downturn and reduction in motorhome sales Brownhills announce the immediate closure of its Swindon branch. Our remaining and sustainable dealerships at Newark, Preston and Durham continue to trade as normal. Any customers with queries relating to ongoing dealings with Brownhills Swindon dealership should Link Removed and a Head Office staff member will respond as soon as possible.

pixorr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2011
Northants
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Squire
Bad experience equals no custom, irrespective of sale/circumstances.
End of.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Squire
Bad experience equals no custom, irrespective of sale/circumstances.
End of.

Yes pixorr - but you miss my point. Your 'bad experience' was nothing to do with Brownhills. And don't you think that to conclude that this (your bad experience) was 'irrespective of circumstances' is somewhat unreasonable and grossly unfair to Brownhills? It wasn't as if they were negligent in any way .....
'End of' .... whatever that may mean :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back