Would like to go full time but need your advice. (1 Viewer)

Densesky50

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Hi All

With the recent ending of a long term relationship now is the perfect time to open a new door and do something I've always wanted to do. Travel the UK and live full time in a motorhome. However I (like I'm sure many new people) am struggling to actually find places that will do pitches/servicing at a reasonable cost. I'm still working so for 5 days of the week most of the time I will be in the same place. Is anyone else in a similar situation? i'd like to be based somewhere near my most of the time but spend my holidays roaming.

What are your costs for semi permanent pitches? where and how do you find them? I can obviously see campsites but most are pretty expensive so I would think people find alternatives.

Thanks
Ed (Milton Keynes)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are a plenty of those pitches, but they are not advertised as such. These will almost always be CL's, which are small 5 pitch sites on farms and the like. For a permanent pitch plus leccy you should budget for at least £300 a month, but depending where you stay it could be a little less or a lot more. If you give us an idea of your location, I'm sure someone can help.

Meanwhile, welcome to the fun (y)

OP
OP
D

Densesky50

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Thanks
Ed (Milton Keynes)
Thankyou, it probably wasn't that clear (because I put it at the bottom) but Milton Keynes area is where I would like to be. Where would one typically find CL's?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Densesky50

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
I found some listed on the Caravan and motorhome club website, any other sources?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You really need to use the local CL’s and see what suits. We often find people doing as you would like at CL’s and normally they are regulars that become semi permanent.

If I had a CL, this is how I would do things as it gives you both an opportunity to try before you buy so to speak.

In fact, the CL we are on this weekend has a new semi permanent resident.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
As said use CL's and CS's, you can stay legitimately for 28 days then move on to the next one. Don't mention you want somewhere semi permanent to start with, leave that until you've known the owners for a while. Where I am in Suffolk there are 4 CL's or CS's within 10 miles so easy enough to move between.

If you are thinking of fulltiming soon it gives you time to move around a few sites which will get your foot in the door for when winter approaches, then ask the site owners if you can over winter there, one of them will say yes.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Some privately-run campsites will give a discount for long-term users. The one that my son is on (Oxfordshire) charges £10 a night less and there are quite a few full-timers on there.

Worth finding a site you like and asking the owner?

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I had the van a year before I moved into it and tootled around the area, exploring CL's, CS's and campsites. You get to know people. I'm glad I did my homework and tried to find solutions to all those kind of things before taking the step. I'd also advise to think about the reality of spending winter in a van in the UK. I've done it 4 winters now, but if your experience/idea about living in a van is about sitting outside in the sun ... Personally, damp is the biggest problem, cold I can cope with. BTW, I work on a campsite, solves the issue of a pitch!
Good luck, I wish I had done it much earlier.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Find a friendly CL. We stayed over a year on one. It’s great in good weather, winter is different. I worked full time from there.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
To use the C & MC CLs you need to be a member. I know some people say the owners never ask, but a lot do.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Also look up property guardians, farms, marinas on the grand Union canal where you might be able to stay and provide them a bit of security.

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back