Hymer Front Light replacement (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi guys, broken front light. Stone thrown up by a lorry so unlucky. See photo. First day on the first real trip that was not a weekend having just retired but apparently things don’t stop going wrong just because you are retired!

MOT due so I need to get this sorted. Does any one know is these are easy to fit and where to buy one?

Thanks in anticipation. 9CD4E539-17E0-4501-AEA1-0740F0EF5B10.jpeg

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Lenny web along any minute now.👍🏼

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
A funsters has manage to make replacement lenses for some
Sorry can't remember of hand their name
A serch on Hymer lights should find it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Hi guys, broken front light. Stone thrown up by a lorry so unlucky. See photo. First day on the first real trip that was not a weekend having just retired but apparently things don’t stop going wrong just because you are retired!

MOT due so I need to get this sorted. Does any one know is these are easy to fit and where to buy one?

Thanks in anticipation.View attachment 492650
Unfortunately a few weeks wait and approx £900 inc of vat. Try Reliance in Chichester.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Or £1500 + if it’s got washers and Bixenon bulbs 🙁

but we also used Reliance for our second one, supply only

would not recommend letting the major midlands Hymer dealer anywhere near it 🤔

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Fitting is critical, I had my second one done by a car repairer friend who said the tensioning was critical

but not difficult to get out, I did that but myself 😁👍

you need to use slightly more force than you might like to getting it off a ball joint type fixing 👍 but as broken already it couldn’t break anymore 😁

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
GWAYGWAY may be able to help.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I know it’s a bit late for you but following the previous threads on shattered headlights and the cost I bought a pair of Perspex protectors and only remove them for cleaning.

7607BB0E-7AB1-4441-801C-897CF23B3D61.jpeg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I know it’s a bit late for you but following the previous threads on shattered headlights and the cost I bought a pair of Perspex protectors and only remove them for cleaning.

View attachment 492676

I did the same but lost one fairly early on 🙁

then bought a small sheet of LamX stuck that on some years ago following second breakage

not sure if now an early design fault has been fixed, now fitted properly or the film has saved them

not good for OP but slightly reassuring to see it was probably a stone and offside damage not the usual parked up nearside 🤔👍

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I did the same but lost one fairly early on 🙁

then bought a small sheet of LamX stuck that on some years ago following second breakage

not sure if now an early design fault has been fixed, now fitted properly or the film has saved them

not good for OP but slightly reassuring to see it was probably a stone and offside damage not the usual parked up nearside 🤔👍
It’s the use of tempered glass that is a bad design , just as with windscreens on old cars used to shatter.

OP
OP
Rodders1234
Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Larry, where did you get the perspex protectors, these look good?

A while ago I did see some protecters on ebay, they were expensive but from the comments about the cost of glass light replacement I can now see why you would buy them!

Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

A while ago I did see some protecters on ebay, they were expensive but from the comments about the cost of glass light replacement I can now see why you would buy them!

I got mine on EBay also £75 , damned expensive but I realised it was at the time the only quick option. They come as flat Perspex and I used a heat gun to bend them to follow the slight convex shape of the headlights and also found some chrome caps to enhance the plastic fittings.
It would I’m sure be easy to get a small sheet of perhaps 3mm Perspex online or possibly B&Q and cut them yourself .
I recently replaced the 52mm suction pads a pack of 4 for £6.49 (2 packs required) from Amazon.
So the job needn’t be too expensive if you are handy with your hands.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

My last van had the same headlamps, I made my own protectors from 2mm Polycarbonate.

OP
OP
Rodders1234
Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
£990 down and the light is over 2 weeks late coming form Germany. MOT due yesterday so had to cancel next week trip and loose deposit!
Protectors due to arrive Monday, just wish I realised how expensive the lights were to replace and I would have bought the protectors earlier. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Thank you for your advice.

Met a guy on a site in Norfolk who had the same problem, he sent the original damged light back to Hella and it was from a faulty batch they refunded him his money. As mine are 6 years old I don’t think I would be so lucky.
Interestingly he now had a later MH but with the same lights and although he also told me about the protectors he was not using them!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back