Bet this called for clean underwear - campervan spins around (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Van spins through 180deg on M40 (sorry don't know how to just show the video, so link to Daily Mail page)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Hmm! Hope they didn't have TyrePal and that that device saves me from the same incident type.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Scary

Unless a medical situation arose it must be one of three or all three

not paying attention

very badly loaded

TFF

Edit- just read blow out, so now down to TFF 🤔👍 he went past the lorry doing 56mph at quite a good few more MPH

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Scary

Unless a medical situation arose it must be one of three or all three

not paying attention

very badly loaded

TFF
TFF?

The article says tyre blow out, think under those conditions they did well/were lucky not to have ended up worse.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Back offside tyre blow out?

I'm glad no one appears to have been seriously injured.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Very scarey, hopefully everyone ok.. 🤞

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
quote from the mail

'I was doing 56mph so I would say he was going between 60 and 65mph. I was convinced I was going to go straight through the camper.

'If I'd hit him, my lorry would have torn his vehicle in half. If that had happened, I'd be surprised if he would have survived.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I had a rear blow out on my RV after the inner tyre went flat and put all the load on the outer tyre, apart from the big bang it didn't effect the steering much.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I had a rear blow out on my RV after the inner tyre went flat and put all the load on the outer tyre, apart from the big bang it didn't effect the steering much.
I suspect he panicked and hit the brakes, his tyres leave big black skidmarks as he goes left.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Warning! There are some really horrible videos after that one, the one with the coach....not quite sure what to say...

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
If he had been travelling 10mph slower it would have made zero difference.

When a tyre blows you cannot control it.

I was once blown of a road and into a ditch at no more than 30mph (I was waiting to overtake a lorry) when a rear Pirelli tyre blew. The tyre incidently was less than a quarter worn and I have avoided that brand ever since. I was in a full blown Audi Quattro four wheel drive with all the bells and bits but it might as well have been a Ford Anglia. No chance of keeping it straight and I was pushed across the road and off the other side.

It is nearly instantanious and there is almost no way that you can control it if it is a side wall that goes.

I saw a BL Metro many years ago go across three lanes and hit the centre reservation when his front tyre blew and he was probably only doing 60mph.

Now, if the guy was driving with worn out tyres that is a different matter and he deserves full blame.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Blowouts can be caused by under inflation which tyre monitoring would pick up. Its correct to say not all blowouts are detectable in advance, but also incorrect to say none of them are preventable with tyre pressure monitoring.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I saw a BL Metro many years ago go across three lanes and hit the centre reservation when his front tyre blew and he was probably only doing 60mph.
I had a blowout in a Metro ~25 years ago. I was in the outside lane of the M1 at nearly 70mph, overtaking a load of trucks and the left rear let go. I got about 2 seconds of vibration as I passed the truck at the head of the queue, there was enough time for me to think, "uhhhh", then I was suddenly taking a hard left.

Somehow I managed to steer into it and didn't brake, so I was only broadside at 45 degrees sideways by the time I drifted across the hard shoulder. Slid along the grass verge for a bit. Then the front wheels dropped into a ditch and it very nearly rolled. I was very lucky to not hit anything. Several lorry drivers stopped to check on me, humped the car out of the ditch and changed my wheel for me. Meanwhile I just sat white as a sheet on the verge... Top blokes, lorry drivers.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Mmm, I have Tyrepal but I'm not sure how it would help in that situation, if it was a blowout you would probably here the bang and the Tyrepal alarm at the same time.
A blow out may be pretty quick. Too quick for TPMS

I know I've span a Subaru Impreza with tyre issues. In that incident my rear left tyre had punctured but stayed up at motorway speeds but when I got on the A4 @ J12 & slowed down, the tyre gave up & deflated when I asked it to flick left / right at the 1st Theale roundabout. That had me facing the way I came from.

There's temperature checks in the TyrePal that may've alerted me earlier in that scenario. 🤔

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Had a rear n/s blow out on the M6 in our mini. Would have been going quite fast knowing me, was a Sunday evening and not much other traffic. Didnt affect the car at all, just vibration and noise.

I think the vehicles that go out of control because of a blow out can't be very stable.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Had a rear n/s blow out on the M6 in our mini. Would have been going quite fast knowing me, was a Sunday evening and not much other traffic. Didnt affect the car at all, just vibration and noise.

I think the vehicles that go out of control because of a blow out can't be very stable.
Had a front n/s blow out on the A12-M25 junction in a 7.5t work motor many moons back, it was a 'moment' but I got it up the slip road best I could. On another occasion I was following a coach up the A303 when it had a o/s rear blowout, the driver kept hold of it and made it safe.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Had a rear Denovo deflate and throw itself of the rim at 120 made a mess of wheel arch ,Luckily able to not hit anything.
Never driven over 80 ever since. This was not in the Camper.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
On a recent check noticed this tyre CP just over two years old.
Do not be to quick to judge have a good look at your own even if quite new!
IMG_20210404_140415_069.jpg
IMG_20210404_140415_069.jpg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Knowing any contributory factors for the blow out would be interesting. Pressure? Overloaded? Age? Wrong tyre type? We will probably never know.

I once flagged down a coach on the M4 when one of the inner tyres blew out but the driver kept going. He said he hadn’t noticed. He took a look at the remaining tyre, it was very hot. After a few expletives he said that his passengers were going to be very unhappy and likely to miss their flights. I think it was the Heathrow shuttle from Reading station. I left him to the potential riot but I would never have slept again if I had ignored it and there had been a serious incident.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back