We're off at last ... watch out wild haggis here we come! (2 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Little did I know when planning our Scottish holiday:

... that our plans would be blown out of the water by this:

Broken Link Removed

... however ... tomorrow barring a disaster we are off! Due to go on Sunday 2nd but put it off to today, however that didn't happen so it's tomorrow FOR DEFINITE! :Grin:

The MH's packed so just the last bit of food to go in tomorrow morning along with our wallets etc ... oh and the dogs of course šŸ˜ and we'll be heading up to Scotland ... first night is just round the corner into SW Scotland at a ruined abbey, we've been before albeit a long time ago, so hopefully we'll remember it when we get near.

Unfortunately we will only have just over 2 weeks before we have to back home but we don't care ...

Oh, I've packed my nice purple wellies, not because of the weather, but so that if I am able to go kayaking I won't have to step into cold water as I think that would finish me off ... might be a bit of a funny site seeing a kayaker with wellies on but I don't care ... if anyone spots me give me a wave! šŸ˜€

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
You will definitely need your wellies here for the rain this week, and bring a warm coat too, today it was only 6 degrees and dreich, as we say in Scotland! Youā€™ll still have a great time though.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Your coming up at the wrong time for haggis spotting. That are all in hibernation. And are happily buried in da grun. But plenty more to see and Iā€™m sure you will have ample time to get your wellies out. Some people in my village wear wellies all year even with shorts or swimming costumes. Enjoy your visit and please donā€™t give the locals whisky šŸ„ƒ after midnight šŸ•›. You have been warned šŸ‘šŸ„ƒšŸ˜·šŸ‘

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hope the rain eases off, it's been torrential today.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You will love Scotland incredible scenery and the folk ainā€™t bad either :wink:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Not looking good at all.
84A76FB2-308E-48C6-9A8A-12F54E41A5DC.png
A76F465A-4BFC-47A9-8711-F05459D85B3E.png

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Safe travels enjoy...and don't forget the toilet roll holderšŸ˜

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Enjoy ... itā€™s dry just now do just make the most of the bits between the showers šŸ‘. Anyway thereā€™s no such thing as bad weather they say, just inappropriate clothing ... so pack those waterproofs and enjoy!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your coming up at the wrong time for haggis spotting. That are all in hibernation. And are happily buried in da grun.
At least they won't be out biting my ankles as even my wellies wouldn't protect me from their gnashers! >:)
But plenty more to see and Iā€™m sure you will have ample time to get your wellies out. Some people in my village wear wellies all year even with shorts or swimming costumes.
I should fit in nicely then! :D

Enjoy your visit and please donā€™t give the locals whisky šŸ„ƒ after midnight šŸ•›. You have been warned šŸ‘šŸ„ƒšŸ˜·šŸ‘
No risk of that ... do you really think that hubby would let the whisky out of his sight! šŸ˜„

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sweetheart Abbey ? No overnighting signs up there according to a thread running over the weekend :(

Enjoy your trip
Bummer ... I didn't see the thread but have searched it out ... hubby will be peed off as it means he'll need to find another night stop, its a shame as we were looking forward to having a nice day there.

Anyone got any suggestions for other places round there? Don't really want to travel any further than we were.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glencaple or Castle corner near Dumfries, or if your just past Carlisle stop at The Metal Bridge Inn.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Not going as far as Glasgow, turning left just after Carlisle so whilst we may have some rain it won't be so bad ... or cold ... I hope!
Not any better unfortunately.
0E512249-079A-438C-8BCE-7338A6BC6D88.png
7CB287E5-15E7-4EBA-86AD-AE9AC235E2C3.png

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We got our van out of storage today and took it to the garage for an MOT , service and new tyres. Itā€™s going straight back to storage. šŸ˜¢

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Bummer ... I didn't see the thread but have searched it out ... hubby will be peed off as it means he'll need to find another night stop, its a shame as we were looking forward to having a nice day there.

Anyone got any suggestions for other places round there? Don't really want to travel any further than we were.
You could try Glencaple Pier, it's on the River Nith, east side so before you get to Sweetheart Abbey. No set charge but contributions very welcome, only four or five specific MH places and it might be busy. A lovely spot.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I prefer to look at BBC weather as you can see the range of weather for the day rather than just a single 'average' covering the whole of it ... Wednesday is supposed to be nice and sunny, and Thursday's not bad either, after that we'll have moved on.

1620071770674.png

1620071805185.png

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Or head down to Whithorn and stay in the field behind the SteamPacket Inn ...
Quite a lot more driving to Isle of Whithorn, perhaps save that glorious spot for later. Scottish Forestry has a 'Stay the Night' site south of Dalbeattie about half an hour east of Sweetheart Abbey. There's quite a lot of places there.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Quite a lot more driving to Isle of Whithorn, perhaps save that glorious spot for later. Scottish Forestry has a 'Stay the Night' site south of Dalbeattie about half an hour east of Sweetheart Abbey. There's quite a lot of places there.
Do you mean West? I've found this:

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Do you mean West? I've found this:

Yes, sorry,west. I was still thinking of Glencaple! If you put Scottish Forestry 'stay the night' into your search engine you'll get a description of the scheme and a list of sites where overnights are allowed. You'll see Dalbeattie 7 Stanes in the list. There is also overnighting at Ae Forest, not in the main carpark but the furthest one. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, sorry,west. I was still thinking of Glencaple! If you put Scottish Forestry 'stay the night' into your search engine you'll get a description of the scheme and a list of sites where overnights are allowed. You'll see Dalbeattie 7 Stanes in the list. There is also overnighting at Ae Forest, not in the main carpark but the furthest one. Enjoy.
Thanks, hubby has already got all the forestry stuff downloaded on his phone/tablet but he's gone to bed so I thought I'd try to find a stop to save him having to in the morning - he won't be a happy bunny when he wakes up and realise we can't stop at the abbey as he was looking forward to stopping there again. :(

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Canā€™t you still overnight at Caerlaverock castle ?

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Thanks, hubby has already got all the forestry stuff downloaded on his phone/tablet but he's gone to bed so I thought I'd try to find a stop to save him having to in the morning - he won't be a happy bunny when he wakes up and realise we can't stop at the abbey as he was looking forward to stopping there again. :(
Well I would head for Glencaple, it's a lovely spot on the Nith with great sunsets, weather permitting of course. Dumfries and Galloway used to be so quiet and tourist free, but seems to be getting busier and busier so get there reasonably early. Have a great holiday, especially after the worries of the Bells palsy.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!