Importing new PVC from Germany post Brexit (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Thinking way ahead here …

Looking at a buying a PVC maybe next year, possibly a Malibu. I’d want a LHD which I know I can order in the UK and, surprisingly you get a bit of a discount over a RHD.

I want a LHD as we spend quite a bit of time at our place in France ( in normal times ) and a PVC would be more practical to use as general transport when we are there as opposed to our current A-class. Also I want a LHD because I just do!

However, they are still cheaper in Germany by about 10 -1 5% depending on exchange rates. There also seems to be more unregistered dealer stock available. I’ve imported second-hand vehicles in the past from Europe but that’s a no-go now as I’d be hit with a VAT charge on the invoice value.

So … if I can get a German dealer to sell me a new vehicle VAT free for export I understand that I’d pay the VAT on arrival at a UK port. No problem with that - German VAT is 19%, UK is 20% so only a minor uplift there. I see German dealers offering export services to Norway and Switzerland so I guess to the UK should be much the same process.

What I can’t figure is whether there would be a 10% import duty. I would think not as it’s a German made vehicle so should fall under the EU/UK trade deal’ but it may depend on the origin of the individual components making up the vehicle.

I’m trying to see if there a self-import route rather than paying an customs agent. The logistics can’t be much harder than in the EU days, it’s still: buy vehicle, get it to UK, pay VAT, change lights, speedo foglight etc, get inspection and register it. It is just the extra import duty stage… I think.

The UK Gov website is out of date on this matter. I’m assuming there must be some sort of import code for ‘motor caravans’ which would given me the import duty rate. Does any-one have any ideas where i might find such info online?

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Suggest you try contacting your nearest customs and excise office, I found them helpful in the past on duties questions. Might have to be by phone only due to the virus. At least they should be able to point you to an information source related to you request.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When I looked at the gov site I didn't think there were any changes for new vehicles only second hand ones where you get clobbered for the VAT.

With Malibu's you will only get 10% discount & you can get that from Go European & they will order a LHD for you, so may not be worth the bother of importing.
Not trying to put you off, we have imported every van we have had.

There is a help page where you can send HMRC a message.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
When I looked at the gov site I didn't think there were any changes for new vehicles only second hand ones where you get clobbered for the VAT.

With Malibu's you will only get 10% discount & you can get that from Go European & they will order a LHD for you, so may not be worth the bother of importing.
Not trying to put you off, we have imported every van we have had.

There is a help page where you can send HMRC a message.

Thanks, useful info - I'll try Go European first and see what they can offer.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I see German dealers offering export services to Norway and Switzerland so I guess to the UK should be much the same process.
Conditions may be different for Norway and Switzerland. Norway is a member of the EEA and Switzerland of the Single Market.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Duty of 10% only applies to used vehicles.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Still as clear as mud but it looks like there could be a 10% duty if that is the case you would have to pay vat on that it would make importing not worthwhile.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
:( It was with an eye to this, that we imported a new Hymer in late 2017. This one will have to last!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Back in the day (early 80's) I used to spend hours looking through the tariff book for the codes for stuff that people were sending abroad, invariably ending up with the code for "other" because the item being sent didn't quite match up with the available definitions in the book. So much faster now with it all online. :giggle:

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I think the following code covers it, but have a play around with the website and see if a closer description applies.

That looks like the one ....
Still as clear as mud but it looks like there could be a 10% duty if that is the case you would have to pay vat on that it would make importing not worthwhile.
I " think " it reads

European Union (1013)Tariff preference0.00 %

but 10% if not from the EU. I'll call them when I get a moment to clarify ...

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Personally I think it's fairly clear, just the 20% vat to pay, but always best to call them if you're not sure.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I think I know what you mean, your looking at the all countries 10% duty, but my understanding is that is superseded by the tariff preference of the individual country, so in the case of the EU that is 0% as opposed to say 6.5% for India, 6.3% for Japan etc. A phone call will clear it up. it's been a long time since I was involved in imports and exports and rules and methods change.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I'm importing LHD new from Germany, should arrive tomorrow. No import tax, just pay UK vat and prove to Germany and they then refund the already paid German vat.
Very useful info - thanks. Can I ask, how did you deal with the transportation of the van to the UK?

Feb 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Exp
Import has been arranged by German dealer via a Dutch company. Complicated by Covid but we seem to be managing. Companies like MyCarImports in Derbyshire can manage the whole process.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Import has been arranged by German dealer via a Dutch company. Complicated by Covid but we seem to be managing. Companies like MyCarImports in Derbyshire can manage the whole process.
Which dealer are you using ?

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Not yet
I hope you'll have more luck than me. I'm trying to import a new campervan but the first dealer I contacted has not replied to a single email. The second, after replying quickly to my first email, has also gone incommunicado.

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
I know some dealers have large new stock waiting to be delivered to the uk but its all on hold due to Brexit slapping another 10% on, it’s something to do with the chassi.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
I imported a La Strada Avanti EB, new, last year during the transition period when the previous rules applied, from a dealer outside Munich. Freizeit- und Caravanprofi Steiner GmbH
Broken Link Removed

I mentioned to the dealer the idea of them not charging the VAT but that was not going to fly, mainly I think because of the reporting issues that gave him. So I paid the German VAT, and then the UK VAT when the vehicle arrived in the UK. Then sent the proof of this UK payment to the German dealer who promptly refunded the German VAT. Whether that same process applies now I do not know. HMRC may be able to clarify. As for getting the vehicle back I had intended to drive it, with all the insurance hassles that involves, but in the end because of COVID the dealer identified a transport company who handled it very efficiently.
BLG AutoTransport GmbH & Co. KG

www.blg-logistics.com

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Late to this one ...

But if the Motorhome is converted in Germany from the components and base vehicle this would mean EU origin and no Customs Tariff Duty .

UK Vat to pay as per all the above , and the supplier in EU should eithe be able to zero rate the Vat on the sale or put in place a post EU export refund ,

I would talk to supplying dealer about the EU process ...the UK import process seems easy via NOVA System. But I don’t know of any individuals who have done themselves list Brexit - but there seems no reason why you cannot .
Daniel

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
With the extra hassle involved importing and getting a UK dealer to do warranty work I would buy here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back