Tell me the best region of France (2 Viewers)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ok....we was/are going to Croatia in June but a lot of stars have to line up to enable hassle free travel there, so I was thinking “If We can get to France, which is the best region?”
I don’t mind the miles so if it’s on the south coast that’s great, we like mountains, great weather and fabulous scenery, so where should we head for? We’ve done a bit of France on the Harley, St tropez, Amiens, Normandy etc all of which were great, but where’s that must see/go to area of France? Also I’d like to start my FLT training so I guess like anywhere the tourist hotspots won’t be free🤷‍♂️

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
For us, The Loire valley, chateaux, scenery and wine. The Dordogne and Bordeaux are good as well.

And if you use France Passion yes a lot of the places are free. Just buy a bottle of wine, some produce or cheese what ever they sell.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've only done bits of France but I don't think you'll go far wrong wherever you go in France with the possible exception of Cote de Azure riviera which I'm led to believe is overcrowded, expensive, too hot and very motorhome unfriendly.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Take a look at motorhomingfrance.co.uk They send a monthly email with Info and to help support it they sell related books. One such book is beautiful villages of France with nearby aires listed, some of them free. Worth a look I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We love Burgundy. Great scenery, wine, food and few people.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Tracking the Eastern side south is all beautiful and it’s heading towards northern Italy where you could carry on to Croatia. You won’t be disappointed and stopping on aires and France passion sites is exciting. Get the search for sites and/or camper contact app for all the stopovers you will need. You could easily spend a month in the Provence region alone, beaches, mountains, village perches, vineyards, St Topez, Nice, Cannes, etc etc.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
For mountains and scenery we would head to the Eastern side of France,starting in the Alsace and heading south ending up in Provence,Gorge du Verdon,Ventoux and one of our favourite views in France from the top of the Montagne de Lure 🙂

122FF4C9-6457-4BAD-B67C-FC8FD0482585.jpeg

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Brilliant keep them coming, as an aside, which are the best travel books to buy, I’m guessing France passion for starters👍

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
For mountains and scenery we would head to the Eastern side of France,starting in the Alsace and heading south ending up in Provence,Gorge du Verdon,Ventoux and one of our favourite views in France from the top of the Montagne de Lure 😀

View attachment 489211
Yes as a former road cyclist in my youth I’d like to go Mt Ventoux to pay my respects to Tommy Simpson as he was from the next village to us.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Brilliant keep them coming, as an aside, which are the best travel books to buy, I’m guessing France passion for starters👍
France passion is the best thing out for first timers in France that don't want to use campsites.
After the first couple of years you will find you don't need it.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
France passion is the best thing out for first timers in France that don't want to use campsites.
After the first couple of years you will find you don't need it.
Campsites......in France..... wash your mouth out :rofl: Lenny HB tells me France is FLT heaven:france:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
For mountains and scenery we would head to the Eastern side of France,starting in the Alsace and heading south ending up in Provence,Gorge du Verdon,Ventoux and one of our favourite views in France from the top of the Montagne de Lure 🙂

View attachment 489211
I’ve been to all these places more than once, makes me excited just reading about it. Phil

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Lots of lovely places, We ve been going to France regularly for over 30 years and still discovering new places. One of our favourites is the Landes, Endless beaches, lots of decent aires, miles of cyclepaths, usually pretty decent weather. If you get bored pop next door to Perigord or South to Northern Spain.

You shouldnt take too much notice of the FLT thing, if there is a nice one where you want to be then fine but life is too short to stint yourself for the want of 10 euros on a fabulous Aire, don't even stop to wonder why - you re only here once (y)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just the hassle of whether covid comes into play, I’m not arsing about doing tests just to get in other countries if that’s what they require. If they don’t require them that’s fine, we’ll go👍
Ah you mean currently, aye it could be a hassle. I was thinking more in normal times. We’re hopefully going to Chamonix in September to visit our son. He seems to think we’ll be ok by then 🤞🤞🤞.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
To be fair France is such a big place, apart from going in to Paris it’s hard to go wrong looking for somewhere nice.
Riviera east of St Tropez can be a bit of a pain, hard to find anything other than over fussy campsites frequently full of families with little or no view. I'm very happy to learn of exceptions btw.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Yes as a former road cyclist in my youth I’d like to go Mt Ventoux to pay my respects to Tommy Simpson as he was from the next village to us.

A few years since we went up Ventoux,1983!,but we did go up Montagne de Lure last September👍 Somewhere I've got 'Death on the Mountain' that I watch now and again,so sad,literally rode himself to death😥 It is all on You tube but split into six parts 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Fly over it or sail around it is best advice.

It’s full of disease and weirdo’s. (French and French based Funsters excepted)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back