parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well, as someone who had a funny experience the other week when two total strangers who looked very dodgy knocked on my door and asked me if they could buy my motorhome, this is a great post and looks a fantastic idea. I was so alarmed by them I took the number of their vehicle and then went to Discover leisure in Coppel and bought one of those heavy duty yellow wheel clamps cos I was parnoid that they were going to come back and try to steel the van. I now carry both sets of keys for the van in my coat pocket and dont leave them in the house when I go out in the car. The kit you posted a link to looks fantastic and though not as good as the well known tracker that the police use, still a good idea.

thanks for posting it!

Bessy regs

Kenny

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Dont know if its the exact same model but i have one that works exactly the same all you need to do is remember to text or call it once evry 3 months to keep the sim active and also top it up in accordance with the sim company T & C as some have to be topped up every 3 months to be on safe side i stick £5 on mine every 3 months.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Impressive bit of kit, thanks for the link (second attempt...did the first link get lost, should have fitted a tracker to it):roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just in case any of you are interested here is the company that fitted it in my mh cant say much about their fitting as i bought the mh when it was a year old. I did have a problem though when the sim ran out and the guys where a great help over the phone once i proved to them i owned the mh they told me how to find the tracker and replace the sim.

http://www.plantsecurity.co.uk/?gclid=CJ_fpKixgKoCFQIt3wodJm2xyg

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not a good system! I run a hire company, and an auto electrics comapny - I know all about tracking systems!

Let me tell you why - these 'mobile phone' trackers (that is all they are in essence) are cheap to buy and run, as they are just a basic, unrecognised system that is easily blocked for a £20 piece of ready available jammer and is as accurate as a foam arrow.

Ask yourself how many times you have sent/recieved a text message that has arrived 2 or 3 hours after you sent it?? Most arrive on time, but there are the ones when the network is busy, or out of range - or even when the network goes down when you won't recieve it for a while.

How far can I get with your motorhome in 2-3 hours? Can I find and disconnect the tracker in 2-3 hours? Can I get to a ferry port and disappear away from the mobile network in 2-3 hours?

You may receive a message saying I am in Cornwall....but I could be on a ferry to france by the time you get it!

The reason 'proper' trackers cost more, is the dual band capabilities...which is where the expense comes into it. Not only do they have a phone network tracker, but a gps back-up as well. So if you are out of range on the phone network, the gps takes over. It also updates every 30 seconds (like you sending a text every 30 seconds) as well as checking the gps every 30 seconds....so you know accurately where your vehicle is!

With a real tracker, the police can track and return the vehicle, a monitoring centre tracks and monitors the vehicle 24/7.....you are not relying on yourself to check! The police WILL NOT respond to a cheap 'phone' tracker as it is not proven, not accurate and they cannot legally rely on it. so even if it says that your motorhome is sitting in a barn 300 yards away....the policeman will shrug his shoulders, as he legally has no RELIABLE reason to suspect the vehicle is there - heard of that happening to a customer who used to have one of these systems! The also (depending on brand) cover uk and europe...so no escape from the network!

It goes down to getting what you pay for! £150 for a cheap unit - or £299 for a real one? 50p or so for a text (generally) that is unreliable, and would say cost £100 a year if you checked a couple of times a week ...or £130 a year(or £350 'for life' subscription, all over europe) checked every 30 seconds, monitored 24/7, trackable by police and yourself with your own account?

The prices are not all that different....and the level of protection is VASTLY better. Only the owner can decide how much their motorhome is worth, and if the cheaper option is really better value or just a cheaper higher risk effort.

My personal opinion? If you are considering putting one of these cheap units on - don't bother fitting one - it has no real use, other than making you think it is tracked, it isn't accurate on where it is, and no-one accepts it as a tracker - so buy yourself a nice satellitte dish instead!

If you are going to fit a real one, then do so - check the subscription rates as they vary, and ensure Europe is covered as well (some charge extra)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
looks good value and no ongoing fee's:thumb:

One gotcha could be battery drain. Might be a problem to stored vans. No current figures given.

You must remember it does not stop theft, you still need to take all possible precautions.

So you phone rings and you find your van is on the move, what do you do ?

Fiats with their chipped keys are not easy to just drive off.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hate to pee on folks parades but before making any fiscal commitment I would suggest you take a look at the following !

It looks like there is a good chance this would fail if the device and remote GPS aerial were fitted at the read of the MH.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Back in the last century when I was a pressboy and cars were being invented the local police invited us to attend a press conference and the guest speaker was a reformed car thief. He knew all the tricks, a bit like our mate Jaws ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: (but thats where the similarity ends). Anyway no matter how you want to alarm your vehicle the professional thief will have a way around it.

i like the look of these trackers, well I like the price anyway ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hate to pee on folks parades but before making any fiscal commitment I would suggest you take a look at the following !

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from...nkw=tracker+blocker&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This is where the cheap systems fall down. Real trackers have dual band, and you cannot block both signals on a such short frequency. They are also monitored, so if someone attempted to block it the call centre would alert the owner and send police to the vehicles last location/projected location to find it.

The cheap systems leave the owner without any recourse or back-up. I know what I would rather pay for!

One other thing to remember; There are two classifications - Vehicle Trackers, and Vehicle Location Devices. VLD's are often sold as trackers - they ARE NOT - they just tell you where the vehicle was when you last 'asked'

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Rainbow chaser

Intresting to read your post and wondered if you could help me as im not a techie person at all. If you click on the link to my tracker it says it uses GPS and GPRS and you mention this in your post so does that mean this one is ok or is a useless one also.

I dont mind as it was fitted when i bought the van but might be worth changing if its useless it also has a thachman cat 1 alarm and is stored outside the house with steering lock and nosey neighbours.

Thanks
Gerry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi Rainbow chaser

Intresting to read your post and wondered if you could help me as im not a techie person at all. If you click on the link to my tracker it says it uses GPS and GPRS and you mention this in your post so does that mean this one is ok or is a useless one also.

I dont mind as it was fitted when i bought the van but might be worth changing if its useless it also has a thachman cat 1 alarm and is stored outside the house with steering lock and nosey neighbours.

Thanks
Gerry

Just checked on the database - they are not recognised, even as a basic VLD there is no trace. What this means for you as the owner is that it is not a Thatcham guaranteed or tested system, you have no idea of what of how it is tracked and will have no Police back-up if stolen. as they do not recognise nor have access to the 'tracker'

This is probably the reason it has an immobiliser fitted as well, as the insurers would not recognise the tracker as being a stolen vehicle tracker as they would have no access or control over it. A real tracker will notify the call centre if someone so much as tries to get in, can immobilise the vehicle - sometimes remotely - and a call centre/police will monitor it. That is what you pay the extra for.

It appears to be a location device rather than a security tracker. Fine for checking your delivery vans have dropped on time, and are not speeding.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The phone signal is very easily blocked, probably any 'professional' thief would put a blocker on as a routine even if he didn't know you had a tracker. They are cheap enough and easily bought off the internet.
Probably better to spend your money on locks and wheelclamps.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The phone signal is very easily blocked, probably any 'professional' thief would put a blocker on as a routine even if he didn't know you had a tracker. They are cheap enough and easily bought off the internet.
Probably better to spend your money on locks and wheelclamps.

This is why you do not rely on a GPRS system alone. These can be blocked - depending on fitment etc. Real tracking devices are far superior and rely on multiple systems to track - they also are monitored and alert of any attempt to block.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyway no matter how you want to alarm your vehicle the professional thief will have a way around it.

Times move on, the age of the bent coat hanger are gone. With transponder keys tied to ECU it's in a different league now. Anyone who can crack such a system would be better employed on Rollers or Banks.

Towing away is always an option but what a risk to the thieves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back