Motorhome insurance ... can it be this cheap? Really???? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mine is due this month with Comfort only £8 more than last year. Not sure what to do about the mileage I dropped it to 6000 last year, if we get abroad in September & again in Feb just two trips will be 6000 to 7000 miles.
I went over this with Lifesure as we can't determine what mileage we'll do this year. After discussion the options we're going for 5,000 miles and if we want to up it will cost £27.50 admin fee plus the extra premium for the increased mileage which will just be pro-rata for the rest of the policy, by not going for a higher mileage now we save the extra premium for 12 months and if we do increase it the cost to do this for the few months we'd need it, even including the admin fee, will be less than doing it from the start of the policy. Breakdown will be needed from October so if we change the mileage we may also take out their breakdown policy then so that it runs pro-rata with the insurance period that way it will be just a single admin fee to cover both, or we can do the breakdown as a stand alone policy for £99 so it lasts a year with no admin fee.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I went over this with Lifesure as we can't determine what mileage we'll do this year. After discussion the options we're going for 5,000 miles and if we want to up it will cost £27.50 admin fee plus the extra premium for the increased mileage which will just be pro-rata for the rest of the policy, by not going for a higher mileage now we save the extra premium for 12 months and if we do increase it the cost to do this for the few months we'd need it, even including the admin fee, will be less than doing it from the start of the policy. Breakdown will be needed from October so if we change the mileage we may also take out their breakdown policy then so that it runs pro-rata with the insurance period that way it will be just a single admin fee to cover both, or we can do the breakdown as a stand alone policy for £99 so it lasts a year with no admin fee.
For us I think it's £30 to go up to 8000 but if I do it part way through its still £30 plus £25 admin.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
i insure everything through Quidco or Topcashback. They use various different companies and comparison sites and you get cash back. Last year my motorhome renewal cost £240 and I got £72 cash back after 3 months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I believe that insurance companies go in 2000 mile increment so 5 is same price as 6 ,next is 8 😉

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I believe that insurance companies go in 2000 mile increment so 5 is same price as 6 ,next is 8 😉
Not all, below is Lifesure's premium for each mileage figure and shown underneath is the difference between that and the previous limit, ie 5k miles to 6k miles costs £40 for a full year (less when pro-rata).

1618505414564.png

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I received a quote from them a few days ago, it was the cheapest by £20. The reviews on trustpilot were not good, so l ended up haggling with my current insurer Advance and got it for the same as last year £210. This includes protected NCD and legal expenses.

Forgot to add my Lifesure quote was with Gocompare.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Before you go with any insurance check what they actually cover , I sold a Mustang to buy the motorhome, they all recommended a particular broker for insurance on the Mustang forums , it wasn't until I poked my oar in they changed their underwriter

I noticed glass cover was limited to £500 , then the only screen available was from ford so I got a price ,£1500 + fitting so that £100 saved could get very expensive if you needed a screen

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Yeah mines about that with nfu.
NFU wanted another 20quid even though there were no claims or very much use last year, I said that I needed to drop my wife off the policy as she hasn't got C1E , anymore at 70. They then immediately put the quote up over a £100+ because she was taken off and would not budge on that even though she had never driven it at all. I then shopped around and quotes of about the same as the previous amount at £486 from another well known agent but with breakdown on it. Then I went further afielad and third wanted more by a few Pounds, went on lone and got a quote of less by about £100, so now I need to speak to a PERSON about it and confirmation of that amount. There seem something very peculiar about insurance quotes.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In the Uk they have really scammed the public in to insuring the person, usage, etc when in fact it is the vehicle alone that wants insuring. Allowing them to remove"any vehicle you own" & having to state registration number to make everyone insure individually ," unlimited mileage" ,so they can charge you more for what the vehicle is meant to be used for. Bit like charging more for house insurance because you do/don't go on holiday?
here the vehicle is insured. You state who main driver usually is but anyone can drive the vehicle if over the minimum age , which is usually 25, & without notifying anyone. You can sell the vehicle on & include the insurance as long as the person has a licence & is over the minimum age, as many companies do not offer refunds.
Mileage, or kms, is generally asked what amount is proposed but whenever I have done any online quotes, clearing cookies every time, it has never altered the premium whether 10,000 or 50,000kms.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Similar in the UAE. The car is insured that includes personal cover. Insurance is between 3/6% of the value of the car irrelevant of how old you are or what driving experience you may have as long as you have passed your test and have a driving license. No separate NCD, no extra for screen cover, lost keys, legal blah blah, it is ALL included.
And anyone can drive any car as long as you have D/L and the car is insured by whomever.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Wouldn't quote for me based on £120k. Perhaps they top out at £100k?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In the Uk they have really scammed the public in to insuring the person, usage, etc when in fact it is the vehicle alone that wants insuring. Allowing them to remove"any vehicle you own" & having to state registration number to make everyone insure individually ," unlimited mileage" ,so they can charge you more for what the vehicle is meant to be used for. Bit like charging more for house insurance because you do/don't go on holiday?
here the vehicle is insured. You state who main driver usually is but anyone can drive the vehicle if over the minimum age , which is usually 25, & without notifying anyone. You can sell the vehicle on & include the insurance as long as the person has a licence & is over the minimum age, as many companies do not offer refunds.
Mileage, or kms, is generally asked what amount is proposed but whenever I have done any online quotes, clearing cookies every time, it has never altered the premium whether 10,000 or 50,000kms.

Similar in the UAE. The car is insured that includes personal cover. Insurance is between 3/6% of the value of the car irrelevant of how old you are or what driving experience you may have as long as you have passed your test and have a driving license. No separate NCD, no extra for screen cover, lost keys, legal blah blah, it is ALL included.
And anyone can drive any car as long as you have D/L and the car is insured by whomever.

So what sort of cost would the insurance be for say a £10k, a £50k MH and a £100k MH just so we have some idea of the 'real figures' we're talking about.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I suppose it helps the poorest the most. I’m that way I agree on that. But as said above. What are the actual costs per value and are the costs reduced when the value of the vehicle decreases

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
MHs and caravans are relatively new in the mid east. I am not sure but feel the percentage rate for them will be the same as cars.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just received our renewal today from LV= @ £434 based on value £85000 8000 miles £400 excess, UK & Eu breakdown with Britannia, unlimited windscreen with £200 excess if you use non nominated repairer 180 days 😊

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
MHs and caravans are relatively new in the mid east. I am not sure but feel the percentage rate for them will be the same as cars.
So in that case insurance for a £10k camper would be £300-£600, a £50k one would be £1,500-£3,000 and a £100k one would be £3,000-£6,000 for insurance. :Eeek:

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
So in that case insurance for a £10k camper would be £300-£600, a £50k one would be £1,500-£3,000 and a £100k one would be £3,000-£6,000 for insurance. :Eeek:
Yes correct. However to be sure i will check it out for MHs. Cars for sure as just before i left i insured a VW Golf GTi @ 4% of declared value.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just thinking about this some more, why should I, as a careful driver who has never had any convictions for anything, not tickets at all have to 'subsidise' those who have, in effect if you insure the vehicle as you have stated for everyone to drive there is no reason to be a 'careful' driver as it won't affect the insurance, yes they may get caught and fined but if the insurance was affected it may make people think more.

Anyway, what is the likely cost to insure the vehicles as I queried before?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Did it on Chic c line value £80,000 9 years NCB 60 years old no convictions £420 Same price as quote from SAGA (which we want for Morocco as it includes free Green card
That’s a reasonably good price if as you say it includes a Free green card for Morocco, last time I asked Comfort for a green card for Morocco they wanted £265 besides the premium for ins cover, a lot of ins. Co. won’t even cover Morocco now I don’t think Comfort do now though I could be mistaken.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Back to original post, initial quote from Asda £149, you have to then ring the company to finalise(Adrian Flux in this case) quote is then adjusted to £357 and that’s without breakdown.
Current policy with AIB renewal quote £416 I rang them and they reduced it to £331 including no weight/length limit breakdown and home start and no limit windscreen cover.
Renewed again with AIB.
it appears Asda insurance offer cheap initial quotes just to get you on the system? Or is that cynical?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Your thread Mel was well timed as my van insurance is due in the next 30 days. I’ve just used 3 search engines for a quote including Asda inputting identical details on all of them. Asda came out the dearest! BG Insurance is looking like the cheapest but the quote is different depending on the search engine! Compare the Market is the lowest and I’ll wait to see what figure my existing company come up with.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Back to original post, initial quote from Asda £149, you have to then ring the company to finalise(Adrian Flux in this case) quote is then adjusted to £357 and that’s without breakdown.
Current policy with AIB renewal quote £416 I rang them and they reduced it to £331 including no weight/length limit breakdown and home start and no limit windscreen cover.
Renewed again with AIB.
it appears Asda insurance offer cheap initial quotes just to get you on the system? Or is that cynical?
Not in our case, as I said by the cheapest via Asda Money was £90 less than other quotes when I completed it on the phone (only because I had a question) the price was the same.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not as cheap as UK then.BUSBY.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Further to my post above I decided to go with BG (or so I thought!) phoned them to finalise and pay. The comparison site I used came up with £316 which I was happy with, however when I phoned it became apparent there was an issue - the price was only available for a van with a value up to £20k and I had input £35k replacement value. Needless to say I purchased elsewhere !!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
2019 Burstner with extras valued at £85000 fully comp and breakdown green card Europe 90/180 £314 Insurance factory.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Further to my post above I decided to go with BG (or so I thought!) phoned them to finalise and pay. The comparison site I used came up with £316 which I was happy with, however when I phoned it became apparent there was an issue - the price was only available for a van with a value up to £20k and I had input £35k replacement value. Needless to say I purchased elsewhere !!
Yes same as I said earlier on here, they just appear to want you to ring up and the price goes up accordingly.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Minxy Girl
following this thread but not read it all but did you go with one of the Asda quotes in the end and did you get unlimited windscreen cover.
My renewal is up soon and my present insurance on cover £600 for windscreen which I didn’t realise, luck I did need to use it.
Cheers

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So what sort of cost would the insurance be for say a £10k, a £50k MH and a £100k MH just so we have some idea of the 'real figures' we're talking about.
No idea?
I paid 500€ third party only 1st year on my coachbuilt. Eventually was paying 418€ T;P;F & T. van was 25 years old. Insurance here is expensive for any type of vehicle. Once a vehicle is over 3 years old they ask why you want full comp? If you stay with same company no problem retaining it for ever but at around 10 years old if you try to go to aother company you will probably only get T:p Or T:p:F&T

They aren't really interested in paying for people who damage there own vehicles as that is not what insurance is for. If you create your own damage you should be paying for it your self. There is no 'knock for knock' here which only benefits the UK insurance companies by allowing them to wrap a "claim" easily whilst robbing all those involvedwith increased premiums, along with any other vehicle you own. A ridiculous situation. They might well end up earning more in increased premims than the claims cost if they get enough involved.
But then again if it isn't your fault here there is no increase in premiums.

Other thing here is that it is the vehicle that is insured ,not the person, although the owner is named & is uually the driver but as long as the requirement for age to drive the vehicle is met anyone can drive it . They just have to be carrying the authorisation from the owner that they have been allowed, though most don't bother especially if family. Mine has 30,000km yearly kms down although it doesnt appear to increas much until you are in to far greater kms

My current Transit pvc originally cost 480€ full comp as a van,but here that would always include commercial cover for anything in it as all commercial veicles do . Now legally converted & changed to 'van with living accommodation' the premium is 459€ full comp.
Just thinking about this some more, why should I, as a careful driver who has never had any convictions for anything, not tickets at all have to 'subsidise' those who have, in effect if you insure the vehicle as you have stated for everyone to drive there is no reason to be a 'careful' driver as it won't affect the insurance, yes they may get caught and fined but if the insurance was affected it may make people think more.

Anyway, what is the likely cost to insure the vehicles as I queried before?
As above , there used to be no 'knock for knock' in the UK,so you didn't get an increase in premiums as it was all loaded on to the person who was insured along with the person who was actually driving.

Years ago when I was first driving & bought my second vehicle, I paid 20% of the vehicle cost for full comp & for only 3 months , just to pick it up.
My left hand drive fiat convertible some years later cost 30% of the vehicle cost for the year.
UK insurance is now based on a "quantity" of people insured figure rather than a vehicle valuation based premium & why there are so many clauses like mileage restrictions, post code, storage v home, to restrict there liability to claims. It is far, far too cheap.

**& I also have never had any type of claim etc; but have no problem paying the premiums here as I know

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They aren't really interested in paying for people who damage there own vehicles as that is not what insurance is for. If you create your own damage you should be paying for it your self.
What about if you have an accident with no other vehicle involved and write your car off?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back