Jul 9, 2011
around the world
Funster No
MH
mini bus
Exp
still a newbie
Hello there!
So it all began with a vegetarian dinner I had cooked for my boyfriend. We started talking, and he revealed me that the dream of his life was having a motorhome and travel the world. It happened that it had been my dream for many years too, and therefore we decided right there, in that dinning table, that together we would make our dream come true.
2 years after, we bought our little house in wheels. Dream coming true? Not really... We were fooled by the guy who sold it to us, and it basically broke down 10 miles after we purchased it. After many problems and troubles, we decided we would not give up, so we worked a few more months and got the money to fix the van.
We did the MOT just this week, and all would be ready to finally hit the roads, if it wasn't for the insurance bit. It seems that no insurance company will accept our portuguese driving license... So I just registered to this forum, and let's see if I find some useful information that will allow us to start living our dream of motorhoming!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hello and welcome to the fun.

sorry to hear about your insurance problem but i doubt very much you will find any insurer will give you cover on a foreign driving licence.

why not try to get a british licence on the merits of your portugese one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hello there!
So it all began with a vegetarian dinner I had cooked for my boyfriend. We started talking, and he revealed me that the dream of his life was having a motorhome and travel the world. It happened that it had been my dream for many years too, and therefore we decided right there, in that dinning table, that together we would make our dream come true.

I've good news for you. I've sold this book script to Mills and Boon for £110K, 10% for me of course. I'm working on the film version. Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise are dead keen. I reckon £10M for the film rights. I think that warrants 12.5%.

The contracts will be in the post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Lady Liberty, if its possible to sort out I am sure one of the guys or gals here will know how.

Meanwhile, welcome to the fun, :thumb:

OP
OP
L

lady_liberty

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
around the world
Funster No
MH
mini bus
Exp
still a newbie
We had already thought about taking a provisional UK driving license, but the problem is that the insurance companies require that you have a UK license held for at least 2 years!
My boyfriend has held his portuguese driving license for 6 years, do you think it is possible to convert it to a UK driving license keeping the 6 years?
We also thought about upgrading his driving license to International, but I'm not sure if insurance companies accept that either...

hahaha brilliant, when I become famous due to that book and movie I'll be able to buy a reaaallly nice and new motorhome and pay for all the driving license types and insurances I want. Sounds nice. Go ahead with it hilldweller, I'll be waiting for that contract!

Thanks Jim!

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
just a question is it not possible to get your insurance from a company in portugal, most use the internet these days and payments can be made via direct bank transfer. I believe its quite easy to exchange your licences for uk ones at any time, and legally should be done if you are resident in the uk for approximately 3 years.

Sorry i havent been much help

Have just found this site it might be worth a look
http://www.superquote.com/foreign-licence-international-insurance/

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lady_liberty

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
around the world
Funster No
MH
mini bus
Exp
still a newbie
Our motorhome is UK registered, so it has to have a UK insurance, we cannot make a portuguese one :Sad:

He could change his license to a UK one, but then they wouldn't insurance him 'cause he would have to have held his UK driving license for at least 2 years...

It's so ridiculous, Portugal is part of the European Union, the only thing that changes on the UK is the side of the driving and even that is not that difficult, plus we would be using out motorhome outside the UK... I just start thinking that insurance workers just don't want to bother and don't need new clients...

I'll have a look at that website, thank you!

edit: just made a quote on that website you gave me, 7538£ per year??? they got to be kidding me!
But thanks anyway, all the help is appreciated!

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I just start thinking that insurance workers just don't want to bother and don't need new clients...

There's the problem, you can think, they can't. They have a set of rules, now usually a computer program, if you don't fit the rules they don't know what to do with you.

So forget online quotes, you don't fit. Try the telephone to brokers. You might eventually find someone who can think. We've found caravan guard actually have people who attempt think.

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/about/index.php

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
There's the problem, you can think, they can't. They have a set of rules, now usually a computer program, if you don't fit the rules they don't know what to do with you.

So forget online quotes, you don't fit. Try the telephone to brokers. You might eventually find someone who can think. We've found caravan guard actually have people who attempt think.

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/about/index.php

I agree, if they are unable to help then?

Try them first and if no joy then post again as another solution may help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back