Microphone in Reversing Camera (1 Viewer)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We have recently bought a new Rapido fitted with a reversing camera.

After a while I became distracted when driving, by increased noise whenever a vehicle overtook or passed the other way. At first I though we'd left a rear window open.

Eventually I tracked down the source of the noise.

Our reversing camera is fitted with a microphone (in theory so someone can stand behind and give instructions) - this is wired into the speaker at the rear of the van.

The camera - and the microphone consequently - is permanently live when the ignition is on. So if someone passes you the noise is amplified into our rear speaker!

There is some logic in having the camera permanently live as it means you can have the reverse view on the screen if you wish when driving forwards as well as in reverse.

But I'd like to turn the microphone off!!! I cannot find a way of doing this.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks and rgds

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Depending what source the camera is, I think (and I stand to be corrected) there is 3 inputs to the camera. One will be sound/audio. Could you not simply pull that out? unless it is the other one on the jack type plug, if that is the case is there not a button on the monitor? or even a sound control to turn all the way down? what momitor is it?

I had to laugh when I read it though!!!

OP
OP
motorhomer

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks

The sound does not appear to be routed through the monitor, but direct to the speaker. It is only the rear speaker and not any of the others. The monitor is integral with a pioneer audio system.

If there is an off switch or volume control it is not part of the monitor(which can be switched off and you still get the noise!) and I don't know where it is!

I have not managed to look at the actual wiring, its not easy to get at, but according to the book there is a single multipin connection into the camera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks

The sound does not appear to be routed through the monitor, but direct to the speaker. It is only the rear speaker and not any of the others. The monitor is integral with a pioneer audio system.

If there is an off switch or volume control it is not part of the monitor(which can be switched off and you still get the noise!) and I don't know where it is!

I have not managed to look at the actual wiring, its not easy to get at, but according to the book there is a single multipin connection into the camera.

then that would blow my theory if it is a multipin connection, try pm ing Dave Newall he installs them and is likely to know.

Or I can lend you some wire cutters :winky:

johnson

Free Member
Aug 7, 2009
Hungerford
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
on mine (can't remember make) the volume control is in one on the menus called up on the monitor?

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I find the noise of an overtaking vehicle useful, if I have not noticed in the mirrors then the audio gives me a warning.

Doug...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My Pioneer does not have the sound

Thanks

My Pioneer does not have sound at all.. there is no facility in the camera head to turn sound off... I have mine on an override switch fitted by VanBitz (They fitted the whole thing) but there is no sound on mine? strange.

Bob:Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
my pioneer hasn't got a sound input on the camera.
i looked for this as i feel it could be useful to have sound on when reversing.
if you find out how they have done it i would be interested in knowing how.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Is this speaker part of the van's Pioneer radio cd system or a separate speaker just for the reversing system?

If you cannot disconnect the wiring for the sound at the camera end, or locate the sound wiring, could you not just open up the rear speaker, (take the cover off and unscrew it if it is wall or roof mounted).
Then cut one of that speaker's wires and reconnect it with a small inline switch beside the speaker.

Then you will still have the option to turn the sound on and off, so when driving you can eliminate that speaker but switch it back on if you are listening to radio / cd when you are parked up if it is part of your sound system.

OP
OP
motorhomer

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks to all who replied. Spurred on by some of the suggestions I have a solution (or at least a 90% solution!)

In answer to one of the posts, my speakers - along with the pioneer sound system and the reversing camera - were all Rapido standard fitting and are part of the audio system.

I have discovered a menu item in the radio that says "rear" and toggles through off, aux, front and disc. If this is set to aux, then even if the radio appears to be off, the rear speaker is connected to the mike in the camera and produces the noise. So if I set the "rear" menu item to off then the speaker is also off. Its not clear to me why the other options are there, though, as it does not mean the disc or aux in the main amp as the rear speaker - like all the others - plays whatever the audio unit is playing anyway.

The reason its not quite a 100% solution is that when the radio is on, whatever the setting of the "rear" menu, the rear speaker becomes live and - in addition to reproducing the radio sound also produces sound from the microphone. But in practise when the radio is on through the front speakers you will never hear this as well.

Of course when the ignition is off, the camera and the mike are off anyway.

They never make things simple, do they!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks to all who replied. Spurred on by some of the suggestions I have a solution (or at least a 90% solution!)

In answer to one of the posts, my speakers - along with the pioneer sound system and the reversing camera - were all Rapido standard fitting and are part of the audio system.

I have discovered a menu item in the radio that says "rear" and toggles through off, aux, front and disc. If this is set to aux, then even if the radio appears to be off, the rear speaker is connected to the mike in the camera and produces the noise. So if I set the "rear" menu item to off then the speaker is also off. Its not clear to me why the other options are there, though, as it does not mean the disc or aux in the main amp as the rear speaker - like all the others - plays whatever the audio unit is playing anyway.

The reason its not quite a 100% solution is that when the radio is on, whatever the setting of the "rear" menu, the rear speaker becomes live and - in addition to reproducing the radio sound also produces sound from the microphone. But in practise when the radio is on through the front speakers you will never hear this as well.

Of course when the ignition is off, the camera and the mike are off anyway.

They never make things simple, do they
!

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

still want those wire cutters :thumb:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
My volume control/on off switch is concealed in a recess on the side of the monitor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back