What do you expect from storage? (1 Viewer)

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What do you expect from storage?

I have a piece of land covered by 24/7 CCTV, Alarmed, floodlit, CCTV monitor in my house (across road), the alarm is deafening and you would not stand beside it if it went off. Also 24/7 taxi rank across the road as well that would be alerted immediately if the alarm went off.

I am considering opening this up for storage, but wondering do I need insurance, do you expect your storage place to be insured for theft etc, or does your own insurance cover you?

Do you sign a disclaimer?

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

I have a piece of land covered by 24/7 CCTV, Alarmed, floodlit, CCTV monitor in my house (across road), the alarm is deafening and you would not stand beside it if it went off. Also 24/7 taxi rank across the road as well that would be alerted immediately if the alarm went off.

I am considering opening this up for storage, but wondering do I need insurance, do you expect your storage place to be insured for theft etc, or does your own insurance cover you?

Do you sign a disclaimer?

A disclaimer is not worth the paper its written if ANY loss or damage is a result of yours or your staffs negligence or failure to perform your common duty of care.

Your disclaimer (to be lawful) should make this clear 'you will not be responsible for any loss or damage unless proven to be a result of your staffs negligence"

AND even if the owners insurance should cover any event the insurer in order to mitigate their loss will come after the storage facility (you) seeking to recover their losses

Set your storage facility as a limited company AND obtain comprehensive liability insurance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
ALSO DO NOT show anyone around unless they have provided details of their name, address etc. A photo driving licence should suffice.

You MUST be very security consceince

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Our storage has all the above , plus a high metal spiked fence and a vicious Rotty and Alsation roaming free at night.

Druggies often break into another storage place , where Ralph keeps a container as a lock up for work , without the above , and get clean away over the fields.
They force open caravan and motorhome windows to take anything worth taking and break into boxes for the batteries.
I dont think even if local people heard the alarm going off they would interfere. They may phone the police , but the crims would be long gone.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Our storage has all the above , plus a high metal spiked fence and a vicious Rotty and Alsation roaming free at night.

Druggies often break into another storage place , where Ralph keeps a container as a lock up for work , without the above , and get clean away over the fields.
They force open caravan and motorhome windows to take anything worth taking and break into boxes for the batteries.
I dont think even if local people heard the alarm going off they would interfere. They may phone the police , but the crims would be long gone.

I ran a 200 van storage site for 10 years. I was not able to get insurance that would cover theft of or from vans as they were not my property. I stipulated as a condition of storage that the van was covered by its owner for such events. I did had Public Liability insurance.

I lived on site in a caravan but still had problems with theft. CCTV is OK but you really need someone patrolling 24 hours a day for total security.

The most blatant was when they drove a waggon through the chain link fence to load a caravan onto. This van had hitch lock, corner steady locks, wheel clamps, and an alarm, so it had to be winched aboard. The van next to it was similar (same make and model) with no security but a year older. At this time I had a customer who was in the Police and drove his Incident van around the site whenever he passed to check on his van. This didn't put these organised thieves off.

The morning I closed the site, a group from a local garage was caught inside the compound just after dawn with 5 vans hitched to cars and another on a transporter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
security is the major issue, along with price. I have seen some non secure places trying to charge £40 a week! They are, needless to say pretty empty!

Others are very secure, and even indoor. Interestingly, the indoor, with hook-up, cctv, alarmed building etc is actually quite cheap at around £150-200 a year!

If you are going into storage, what you invest in security will ensure that you have a yard full. These may be security fences with anti ram devices inside the fence. I have seen double ring fences, both high with the internal one electrified and razor on the floor between - but you have to think about liability etc in this day and age, with the seeming 'right to rob' that crooks have!

I think people would pay a fair price for a secure yard!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am considering opening this up for storage, but wondering do I need insurance, do you expect your storage place to be insured for theft etc

Northern Ireland !

Isn't that the place that the British Army, the SAS, the police and goodness knows how many spooks could not secure ?

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It all sounds to much of a PITA to make it worthwhile, thanks for input though, appointment with Solicitor next week so I'll see what they say.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't forget you need planning permission too.

I think an 'invisible' one like mine is pretty secure, as it cannot be seen from anywhere with public access. It has a 10ft wall round it and access is by a private road with a lifting barrier (swipe card). The gate to the compound is solid, so you can't see any vans, and also requires a card to open (opens hydraulically). However at £420 pa it is not cheap, but is full.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back