odsox

Free Member
Jul 7, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have a dometic fridge model rm 7291 fitted to my knaus camper and last w/end the beer got warm! have realised this week that all is ok and it gets nicely cold whilst running on mains supply but when on gas or 12v after cooling it on mains it gets warm again, so not working on gas or 12v.
gas sparks and ignites and the flame looks good to me, the light comes on on the panel - 12v light also comes on on the panel when switched this way so i,m assuming its getting supplied with 12v.
did adjust the thermostat knob before leaving last friday -- could this be relevant? might it be a thermostat prob?

any ideas please

odsox

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Odsox & welcome to the fun.

The 12v supply does not run the fridge except when running the engine for when you are travelling so it sounds like it is just a gas problem which i'm sure someone will come allong with a solution

Brian

OP
OP
O

odsox

Free Member
Jul 7, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
thanks for that but the trip home was 6 hours whilst on 12v and i'm sure it didn't work

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If the flame is alight it should work on gas, however if you have a fault with the thermostat it may cut out as soon as you turn your back. The 12v does not work with a thermostat, it is on all the time the engine is running so 12v element may be burnt out, in which case it is not a major job to replace.

Does your leisure battery charge OK with the engine running? as often this uses the same relay and fuse as the fridge.

Obviously you must get this fixed ASAP as warm beer is a major disaster :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as far as i'm aware, an absorbsion fridge will cool to approx 20deg below ambient temperature.

last weekend was particularly warm, 32deg here in scarborough, so the fridge temp would be around 12deg.

could be the reason your beer was warm/undrinkable (delete as appropriate :roflmto:)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
as far as i'm aware, an absorbsion fridge will cool to approx 20deg below ambient temperature.

last weekend was particularly warm, 32deg here in scarborough, so the fridge temp would be around 12deg.

could be the reason your beer was warm/undrinkable (delete as appropriate :roflmto:)

I don't think you're right Pappajohn. A Peltier effect fridge (like a 12v coolbox) will only cool to a max of around 20deg below ambient. I'm sure an absorption one does much better, after all our frozen food stays rock hard in ambient temperatures of 30deg+.

Some fridges don't work as well on gas/12v/mains as on gas/12v/mains (delete as applicable) but I have not noticed much difference. Our old van fridge was not so good running on mains but that was one with separate thermostats for each energy source so hard to judge.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think you're right Pappajohn. A Peltier effect fridge (like a 12v coolbox) will only cool to a max of around 20deg below ambient. I'm sure an absorption one does much better, after all our frozen food stays rock hard in ambient temperatures of 30deg+.

Some fridges don't work as well on gas/12v/mains as on gas/12v/mains (delete as applicable) but I have not noticed much difference. Our old van fridge was not so good running on mains but that was one with separate thermostats for each energy source so hard to judge.
i'll bow to your superior knowledge :Blush::roflmto:

could have been thinking of the data sheet for our cool box :Doh:

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
expert on dometic fridges required

the fridge has been having a mind of it own,it started not getting as cold as it should
after i changed a bottle,i checked the supply pipe and found something like a mini cigarette
filter after the elbow just before the pipe went into the back of the fridge,i took this out
and the fridge seems to work ok now

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
the fridge has been having a mind of it own,it started not getting as cold as it should
after i changed a bottle,i checked the supply pipe and found something like a mini cigarette
filter after the elbow just before the pipe went into the back of the fridge,i took this out
and the fridge seems to work ok now

Probably the engineers rollup then.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back