Removing a dome sat tv system. (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Hi all, cleaned the roof on the pvc metal roof pug boxer yesterday and now thinking of removing the sat tv dome system off the roof , would like the van to have cleaner look and tbh we never use it, if we ever do watch the tv ( rare) we have cracking tiny arial that works well. Is it a simple job to remove it? Any worries over electrics? How do I blank off the connectors for the in/ out feed?
any helpful hints gratefully received. šŸ™

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi all, cleaned the roof on the pvc metal roof pug boxer yesterday and now thinking of removing the sat tv dome system off the roof , would like the van to have cleaner look and tbh we never use it, if we ever do watch the tv ( rare) we have cracking tiny arial that works well. Is it a simple job to remove it? Any worries over electrics? How do I blank off the connectors for the in/ out feed?
any helpful hints gratefully received. šŸ™
If it is properly installed (stuck to the roof) unless it is essential that you remove I'd leave well alone. Removing the feet \ mounts, adhesive residue, etc is difficult. Covering the cable entry hole should be easy enough but it would just be another potential source of water ingress.

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
If it is properly installed (stuck to the roof) unless it is essential that you remove I'd leave well alone. Removing the feet \ mounts, adhesive residue, etc is difficult. Covering the cable entry hole should be easy enough but it would just be another potential source of water ingress.
Gellyneck that sounds like good advice, its a ā€˜vanity projectā€™ really just for looks, so you are right, Iā€™ll take a step back, it seems properly fixed and sealed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Gellyneck that sounds like good advice, its a ā€˜vanity projectā€™ really just for looks, so you are right, Iā€™ll take a step back, it seems properly fixed and sealed
Had a last snoop inside the dome, lo and behold there were some screws fitting the dome to four baseplates, unscrewed them and hey presto, the domes off and up for sale . On Gellynecks advice Iā€™m not even thinking of touching them, they can sit looking pretty on top of the van no worries....
Thanks all

Attachments

• 8FBA0511-5BBD-4B2A-B082-AABCE9ABF079.jpeg
    8FBA0511-5BBD-4B2A-B082-AABCE9ABF079.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 750E6F5B-6976-4168-9401-D90765B08238.jpeg
    750E6F5B-6976-4168-9401-D90765B08238.jpeg
    572.9 KB · Views: 62

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Had a last snoop inside the dome, lo and behold there were some screws fitting the dome to four baseplates, unscrewed them and hey presto, the domes off and up for sale . On Gellynecks advice Iā€™m not even thinking of touching them, they can sit looking pretty on top of the van no worries....
Thanks all
If you get fed-up with the brackets projecting from the roof (and if you're sure you won't need them again) rather than trying to get them off completely you could probably put an angle grinder (or similar) through them to remove the upright leg and just leave the bit stuck to the roof. Wonder if you'll get wind noise from the exposed brackets?:unsure:

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Hi Gellyneck
Tried a trial run this morn and no noise at all, they are low profile and flat , look fine as well, they have been fitted professionally. Thanks for the advice, really appreciated, one day Iā€™ll maybe get someone to grind off the front bit of the bracket, Iā€™ve just not got the confidence or tools to do it myself....šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
Its a good system but we just never watch tv when we travel so it leaves more payload for beer....
if the dome was integral to the van I could have used it to stand up in as Iā€™m that tall! Cheers again, appreciated

Attachments

• 5A7BD8DD-A6F0-48BB-8CA0-D9F3408873E2.jpeg
    5A7BD8DD-A6F0-48BB-8CA0-D9F3408873E2.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 36
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
When I took a similar dome off and was about to unscrew the feet from the base ,a couple of feet just pulled off the roof complete with remains of the glue.the remaining feet just pulled off. :eek:
The dome must have just been held on with sheer luck (y)

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thats a great idea, Iā€™ll have to get a techie on it I think, my current solar is ā€˜crazedā€™ but works well, it could use a renew / update... might even try it myself šŸ¤” mmmmmm

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
When I took a similar dome off and was about to unscrew the feet from the base ,a couple of feet just pulled off the roof complete with remains of the glue.the remaining feet just pulled off. :eek:
The dome must have just been held on with sheer luck (y)
Eeek, this one was nicely fitted by the converters

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi Gellyneck
Tried a trial run this morn and no noise at all, they are low profile and flat , look fine as well, they have been fitted professionally. Thanks for the advice, really appreciated, one day Iā€™ll maybe get someone to grind off the front bit of the bracket, Iā€™ve just not got the confidence or tools to do it myself....šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
Its a good system but we just never watch tv when we travel so it leaves more payload for beer....
if the dome was integral to the van I could have used it to stand up in as Iā€™m that tall! Cheers again, appreciated
Apologies. Didn't realise they were almost flat. I thought they were right-angled with a considerable upstand.:doh::doh::doh:

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Yep they are flat profile, tbh after you tubing ā€˜angle grinder accidents and safetyā€™ its not on my to do list...šŸ˜²šŸ˜²
All round good advice guys!
Thanks again

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Ditchas idea about solar has got me thinking, thought Iā€™d ask a dummy question while on this thread.
So, during the satdome saga,( thanks again all Iā€™m ridiculously chuffed that it is off) I had a chance to look at the currently fitted solar panel on the pvc boxer private conversion. It works ok but I have no idea on its technical stats or the electric side. The panel is ā€˜crazedā€™ ( looks like a smashed windscreen) but feels smooth , and has 5 years of wear and tear.
Thinking of replacing it, not necessarily bigger, but would it be a case of just wiring in the new solar panel onto the existing electrics? Theres a couple of wires up there going into a gland thing . What type of sikaflex should I be getting?
I have read the solar panel threads but the leccy bits are pretty confusing... Iā€™ll grab a couple of photos of the roof tomorrow for reference...
any advice gratefully accepted, please feel free to talk in baby language... I havenā€™t a clue!!!
Attached a couple of photos of electrical set up....

Attachments

• 1B16E37F-1DB7-45F9-B875-45C030CACBB9.jpeg
    1B16E37F-1DB7-45F9-B875-45C030CACBB9.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 31DBC3AA-F830-4FED-ABFB-B83E3CB8B9A6.jpeg
    31DBC3AA-F830-4FED-ABFB-B83E3CB8B9A6.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 29

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I remember reading about how someone made their unused motorised sat dish into a solar panel sun tracker ....

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thanks a lot, solar regulator.... šŸ¤”
Will look today and post a couple more phots if you donā€™t mind looking

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
uzsnowdrop thanks to your post and someone elses (can't remember who now) I've also decided to ditch our never used satelitte dish that came with our MH for solar panels. Dangerouse and expensive reading about peoples projects!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I wonder if satellite TV on vans has had itā€™s day what with firesticks, wi fi, VPNS, and dongles ?
Depends on how much data allowance you have and how much roaming data you get if/when weā€™re allowed over the water.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Depends on how much data allowance you have and how much roaming data you get if/when weā€™re allowed over the water.
True indeed. We have had satellite dishes on other vans and found they were only effective down to about the Loire, then they didnā€™t work. In the U.K. our TV works perfectly on a cheapo amplified mini aerial. Even abroad (remember those days) it picks up English speaking TV.
I havenā€™t had a dish on our last two vans.

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
uzsnowdrop thanks to your post and someone elses (can't remember who now) I've also decided to ditch our never used satelitte dish that came with our MH for solar panels. Dangerouse and expensive reading about peoples projects!
Go for it, was really glad for the advice from others, the van looks great now!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In the U.K. our TV works perfectly on a cheapo amplified mini aerial.
Have you tried that in Northern Scotland?:unsure:

You can buy a lot of data on several SIM cards for the price of a sat dish:giggle: We've gone "full wifi" using a MiFi unit and smart Avtex TV. Works perfectly, no regrets at all.
Got a 2nd user Snipe 2 from another Funster when they changed their van.(y) Paid for itself in just over 12 months vs the cost of sim cards which frequently don't get a signal in various places throughout Scotland and elsewhere.(n) Yet to have a "dark" spot with the dish (says he who's dish won't work when taking it back out of hibernation!:eek:).

We are frequent tourers up there and have to carry 4 different sims (3, O2, EE and Vodaphone) for our mobiles to maximise the possibility of a signal.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
True indeed. We have had satellite dishes on other vans and found they were only effective down to about the Loire, then they didnā€™t work. In the U.K. our TV works perfectly on a cheapo amplified mini aerial. Even abroad (remember those days) it picks up English speaking TV.
I havenā€™t had a dish on our last two vans.
Indeed. We've got the Avtex "boosted antenna" for UK use if needed, works well with the TV. https://www.avtex.co.uk/antenna/sth3000

OP
OP
uzsnowdrop
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We bought the one in the attached photo. Attached to metal van it is crazily good, and so cheap.

our sat dome that came with the van was good but we only used it once!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back