Renewing Expired UK Driving Licence - Help (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
As mentioned on another thread. My driving licence photo card has expired, apparently its not possible (and I have tried) to renew an expired licence online.

The problem I have is, the DVLA web site say's I need to complete form D2. When looking at form D2 there is no box to tick for "Expired" . Whilst I have past my LGV 1 test in the past I let this lapse a couple of years ago and do not want to renew this entitlement at the moment (never say never) all I want is to renew my car together with C1 and C1E, my entitlements expire in 2022.

Is there anyone who has been in the same predicament, that could tell me what they done to renew an expired licence, please.

Thanks

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Other half's licence expired whilst we were in Spain, only noticed it had expired on checking for return journey. It was about a month overdue.
Just logged on to DVLA and renewed. This was January.

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news and please don’t shoot the messenger but I think you might find DVLA are going on strike next week so don’t be relying on phoning them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
When did your licence expire? As it would appear all licences due to expire last year were automatically extended for a year.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Other half's licence expired whilst we were in Spain, only noticed it had expired on checking for return journey. It was about a month overdue.
Just logged on to DVLA and renewed. This was January.
Thanks Bolti. I wonder if its because I have LGV entitlements on my licence even though they expired a couple of years ago. My photo card expired on in March 2020 however DVLA extended this by 11 months due to Covid meaning my expiry was Feb 2021.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
When did your licence expire? As it would appear all licences due to expire last year were automatically extended for a year.

Bolti including the DVLA 11 month extension my photocard licence expired on 19/02/2021

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I though it was only the photo that expired but the licence itself didn't, ie you still have the licence just not an up to date licence card with a more recent photo?

So is it just the card that's expired and not the licence itself?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As mentioned on another thread. My driving licence photo card has expired, apparently its not possible (and I have tried) to renew an expired licence online.

The problem I have is, the DVLA web site say's I need to complete form D2. When looking at form D2 there is no box to tick for "Expired" . Whilst I have past my LGV 1 test in the past I let this lapse a couple of years ago and do not want to renew this entitlement at the moment (never say never) all I want is to renew my car together with C1 and C1E, my entitlements expire in 2022.

Is there anyone who has been in the same predicament, that could tell me what they done to renew an expired licence, please.

Thanks

One cannot renew C1 and C1E online.

Geoff

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
One cannot renew C1 and C1E online.

Geoff
Hi Nicholsong. Thanks for your reply. As you can probably gather this is drying me mad.
When I try and renew on line it tells me I'm "not eligible to use this service" and to use form D2. But when I look at form D2 its for changing an existing Bus, Lorry or minibus licence or replacing a lost or damaged licence. All I need to do is replace my expired photocard with the same entitlements. Are you able to suggest which DVLA form I need to use.
Thanking you again.
Derry

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I though it was only the photo that expired but the licence itself didn't, ie you still have the licence just not an up to date licence card with a more recent photo?

So is it just the card that's expired and not the licence itself?
Minxy Girl Many Thanks for responding. You're absolutely correct, I still have the entitlements on the back of the photocard all of which expire in 2022. Do you happen to know which DVLA form I need to do this.
Thank You once again.
Derry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy Girl Many Thanks for responding. You're absolutely correct, I still have the entitlements on the back of the photocard all of which expire in 2022. Do you happen to know which DVLA form I need to do this.
Thank You once again.
Derry
I think you need the D2 form and have to do it by post, although an authorised Post Office may be able to process it for you for a small additional charge:

I've attached a D2 form that I've found on the internet which may be the current one which states you should use it just to renew your photo which is what you need to do.

1617548069272.png

Attachments

• d2-licence-form.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I think you need the D2 form and have to do it by post, although an authorised Post Office may be able to process it for you for a small additional charge:

I've attached a D2 form that I've found on the internet which may be the current one which states you should use it just to renew your photo which is what you need to do.

View attachment 481099
@ Minxy Girl. Brilliant, Thank you so so much. I hardly slept a wink last night trying to flavum out our I was going to do it. Demonstrates the value of this wonderful forum. Once again many thanks for your assistance. Derry

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Thanks to all responders, especially Minxy Girl (Mel). All now sorted, formed from PO first thing this morning, completed along with postal order all off to DVLA before lunch time.

Thanks once again to all.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks to all responders, especially Minxy Girl (Mel). All now sorted, formed from PO first thing this morning, completed along with postal order all off to DVLA before lunch time.

Thanks once again to all.
Don't forget to let us know how long it takes to be sorted.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Glad you are sorted , good job i read the whole thread, was about to say authorised Post Office.
Thats how i did mine last year .

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I
Don't forget to let us know how long it takes to be sorted.
It will not be quick. Sent my wife's to Swansea three weeks ago(along with her Maltese Passport). Enq to DVLA today seeking clarification as to when will it be sent out, Informed now looking at 6 - 8 weeks turnaround.
So good job not looking to jump on ferry before September

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I bought a new car , to me, last monday 29th march recieved new log cert today , not too bad .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your entitlement expires in 2022 I would have left it until then
Effectively you're renewing now with associated cost then renewing again next year with more cost involved.

Mine was 2 years out of date the last time I renewed it and the new one started the day it was processed, not the expiry date on the licence

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Renewed mine online after the 11 month extension including C1 & C1E and received it within 10 days without a new photo

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
pappajohn. Thanks. The main reason for renewing now (as you say at £20 + 3.20 PO fee) was I was getting mixed messages about continuing to drive with an out of date photo card.

It's my own fault for missing the expiry date in the first place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Renewed mine online after the 11 month extension including C1 & C1E and received it within 10 days without a new photo
How did you manage that? Did you definitely get to keep your C1 &C1E on the new licences?

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
stevewagner
I was under the impression you couldn't renew online if the application required a D4 medical form which I thought was the case for C1 & C1E, or am I thinking of something different.

I tried about 10 times over the weekend to renew online and kept getting the message "you're ineligible to use this service please use form D2"

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Are we talking about young people under 70 here rather the the more usual septuagenarians? If that's the case a D4 is presumably not required?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
stevewagner
I was under the impression you couldn't renew online if the application required a D4 medical form which I thought was the case for C1 & C1E, or am I thinking of something different.

I tried about 10 times over the weekend to renew online and kept getting the message "you're ineligible to use this service please use form D2"
I only realised mine had expired when I had to provide ID to a solicitor for a legal transaction and she pointed it out. I went online to apply and it said I needed to complete form D2 and provide a new photo. I ordered and received the form in a few days and thought it a bit long winded and put it aside to have another look at the weekend when I had more time. Just for a laugh I tried online again and it accepted the application. I did my wifes at the same time (again with C1 & C1E) took about 5 minutes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Rather as start a new thread on renewals my photocard licence expires in August do I need to update the photo or can they just the existing one .
I know they can confirm my identity from my passport but that expires in May 2022 and has the same photograph

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Bolti. I wonder if its because I have LGV entitlements on my licence even though they expired a couple of years ago. My photo card expired on in March 2020 however DVLA extended this by 11 months due to Covid meaning my expiry was Feb 2021.
Reading back through this thread, I wonder if it is your expired LGV that has muddied the waters for you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Rather as start a new thread on renewals my photocard licence expires in August do I need to update the photo or can they just the existing one .
I know they can confirm my identity from my passport but that expires in May 2022 and has the same photograph
The photo can't be older than 10 years so although you may be able to use the existing one/passport one, you could end up with them demanding a new one in a year's time so it might be easier to renew your passport with a new photo before your licence expires then you can use the new PP photo for your licence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back