Which are the 'quality' manufacturers of MH's (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What’s the opinion on having a large motorhome now as travel is so restricted? UK is not a country that welcomes or accommodates large vans.
Ours is 8.7m so could be considered large in some circles, I have no worries about using it in the UK as there are still plenty of places left that we will get into.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Considering the price of any new MH I would expect them all to be 'quality'. In any case there is quite a limited set of parts and chassis suppliers for MH so you see exactly the same components turning up everywhere... in the end layout is the only differentiator. As for 'must be new' I translate that as 'must spend more than I need'. MHs devalue (not anywhere nearly as fast as cars) and new they incur VAT... so both cheaper to buy old, but also old retain value for much longer than you'd expect. If I were buying my first MH again I'd still buy old. Then I can experiment more cheaply.

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Thank you all for your help. Perhaps some have not read the full thread and are under the impressiuon I want the biggest and best in preparation for life on the road. No, I want a 2, at most 3, berth, not large but warm and well built MH to use in my final years. I will not be buying a succession of vehicles until ' I get it right'. I am over 70 and am trying to ensure I get approximately the right quality MH before maybe 5 years of touring in Europe.

As I wrote before, let's draw a line under this and I will pop-up under the general forum questions when I have made some progress.

m

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Thank you all for your help. Perhaps some have not read the full thread and are under the impressiuon I want the biggest and best in preparation for life on the road. No, I want a 2, at most 3, berth, not large but warm and well built MH to use in my final years. I will not be buying a succession of vehicles until ' I get it right'. I am over 70 and am trying to ensure I get approximately the right quality MH before maybe 5 years of touring in Europe.

As I wrote before, let's draw a line under this and I will pop-up under the general forum questions when I have made some progress.

m
2 or 3 berth, easy to park >3500 (not having to worry about a C1 Licence) go for a Pannel Van a number of ‘Quality’ manufacturers are out there as I say Hymer , Adria etc, I was certain I wanted a Mercedes chassis yet I landed up with Fiat which is an excellent vehicle. Would I buy another HymerCar yup I would would I consider another brand, maybe but happy with the Hymer. 👍 This is a Finish couple who are living full time in their Adria hope it helps with your research.

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
Hello. Having owned and fitted-out canal boats for 32 years, often as my UK base as I worked overseas, then owned a 'place in the sun' by the Med; I have got to the age where I need to be based in the UK but can motor over Europe meeting all my old friends and colleagues at their homes far away. I am past fitting-out a vehicle and have no space to do so anyway, but am contemplating buying a new MH. It will be a wrench to pay overnight fees after stopping my boat wherever I want for free every day!

Living in north Lincs I have plenty of options with suppliers around Hull as well as a short trip down to Brownhills. But I do wonder about the quality of construction. From boats I am aware of good space saving design which is easily spotted. But I wonder if some of these vehicles are the proverbial Fur coat and no knickers!

I want a vehicle large enough to have an easily accessed loo (its my age you see) when on the road - parked! Two berths are ample but 4 belted seats would be a must. A permanent double bed would be nice without converting a dinette. And all the usual mod kitchen cons would be expected with electric hook-up and solar panel top-up for the electrics. An awning and storage for an outdoor table and chairs would also be needed. A couple of bike racks would be fitted at the rear. But all this will need a good security system to keep it safe too.

We would travel at times through all seasons of the year within the visa terms, so heating such as an eberspacher will be required, and obviously not a pop-up roof. An LPG converted engine would be preferred but most I see on sale are diesel. An auto transmission will also be an advantage.

Its a long list and I find that most suppliers can supply much of what I require in one model or another, though I am worried about true van conversions with bench seats and swinging rear doors, yet some of those I see appear to be made to a price with some corners cut (or not finished-off in some cases!).

Your collective advise will be very much appreciated, thanks.
m
Try CHAUSSON. Highbridge gets these. However, you can always make modifications to suit you.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Take a look at Frankia, probably the best non liner on the market, better in my opinion than Carthago, Hymer and N&B build quality wise. Very winterised so great in hot and cold climates.
....or look at the marque above it - Le Voyageur. They are rare on the used market but the quality is really first class......

OnlyJen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2021
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Hymer Ayers Rock
Exp
motorhoming, campervanning and caravanning since 1990. Wine drinking since eternity.
My thanks to you all for your care in taking time to respond.

I am not looking for too many 'luxury' features, and having lived in the USA I admire the quality and engineering excellence at a good price attainable over there. I appreciate that weight is limited but I would prefer a short wheelbase vehicle after having seen so many long wheelbase vans grounding on not very uneven ground. Especially important when even pulling off the road in the Alps or Balkans (I lived in Bosnia for 7 years too). But its not the quality of materials that worries me but rather the fit and finish on some of them.

With boats, using 10/15mm faced ply is no heavier than the common 15mm particle board used in vehicles, so I am happy with what is used but I expect some craft in fitting-out. (Plenty of raw edges at the back of some spaces in some vehicles). Wiring is also a worry - I have seen loose cabling which should be supported and not tucked loosely out of the way. Again, with boats this is subject to a regular safety certificate inspection. (A ban on soldered joints in gas pipes too). Vibration can turn loose cabling into a fire risk. Accessories, appliances and fittings I have seen, have at times been of low quality or 'value' brands that I have seen used in boats, and chosen to avoid previously. But I am sure some vehicle manufacturers have a policy of fitting those from the better end of the spectrum; so can those builders be easily identified?

On usable space, always a problem for someone who is 6ft 2 tall and not exactly stick-like. But again, years of boat discipline means we are used to confined spaces. So we never share the bathroom!, but I need to stretch out my arms when showering and drying. But easy to judge that when viewing. The bed length is more important, and this is maybe where I will have to compromise - to have a bed in which I can stretch out.

The VW Grand California 600 fits the qulity bill there, but I would have to compromise on a fold down bed and swinging rear doors. (Westfalia built?)

So I take the point that German vans are perhaps better quality and the £70k cost is within range, but are there others with similar quality but with better features?

m

The GC is getting mixed reviews. On the California club forum there is a separate section discussing them and they appear to be marmite. If they carry the same quality as the Cali then I doubt that you will be disappointed on that front. I regularly take my Cali off road and even though it has been over some incredibly rough terrain the only rattle is from the cassette awning.

They are also heavy.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
As someone has already said, its a compromise. We hired a MH initially, actually a make/model we were contemplating buying but after a week in it decided it was not for us. Moral - you need to spend time in it to decide its functionality for your purpose.

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Msg 68. That's why I have hired already!

m

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have spent much time trying to answer your original question for myself.
There are good French, German, Italian, Slovenian and few British vans that fall into the category of quality but this will not guarantee satisfaction. There are also many budget vans that owners swear by and never have problems with. The van that will be 'best'; is the compromise between layout, price and simple likeability. If buying new from a dealer, search out the dealer who has the ability and reputation to back up any warranty claims you may make and almost all vans need some follow-up work after purchase.
My dealer is still carrying out warranty work 18 months after the warranty ran out, due to Covid, to me having a van I like, this means they would be the first place I would look if I changed my van

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Only with the 4th van was the right one found. Even then a compromise. Mine is a very uncommon marque which actually makes it more attractive to me

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are on our fourth and smallest motorhome. We have a Carthago Compact 138. It’s really excellent quality, easy to drive and very comfortable.

We fall under 3500kg so don’t have to worry about all the rules for over that weight. Even though we’ve downsized, we’ve realised that a well designed interior is the most important thing, plus you just don’t need stacks of room.

Our previous Motorhome was a big Laika. They are lovely, well built motorhomes, so I recommend that range as well.
Thank goodness ... I was beginning to feel 'we' were being left out! :giggle:

Unfortunately though they are out of the OP's preferred price range bought new, even in Europe with a good discount, but for quality and fit & finish, they are very, very good.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Westfalia was mentioned in passing. Meets all your requirements with an "arctic" package of underfloor heating, diesel heating, compressor fridge, 2 single beds with insert for huge double bed (one side limited to 5'10", other side >6' (or unlimited with feet going on to kitchen extension). Quality fittings (although some German owners on the FB site disagree). Real seats 3 & 4 (not flat bench) and flip-over proper 3rd bed up to 5'8". Ours is the Columbus 641E.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My thanks to you both for your enthusiastic help. On a 'garage', its not a major point for me but I am happy to have a bike rack bolted outside on the rear. Space for a barbecue would be useful, but most of the outside accessed cubby holes I have seen I think would meet our needs. I see some cross beds are separated from the galley by say, a wardrobe, but yes, agree its a compromise on the shorter chassis.
If you are going to have bikes you might as well have them in a garage and make use of the space above them (eg for a bed) rather than on the rear out in all weathers and more easily nickable.

I have also mentioned shorter rather than longer wheelbase .... Those who have experienced this will know just what I mean.
Yup, I totally understand that, a shorter wheelbase is much more manoeuvrable too, we notice the difference quite a bit when we went from a 6m coachbuilt to a 6m PVC as the wheels are further back on the latter.

Another aspect of drop-down beds meaning greater overall height
Not necessarily, it depends what you mean by a drop-down bed, those newfangled ones that sit over the lounge etc and are lowered do raise the height but an A-class with a drop down bed, which is what we have, is less than them at under 3m.

But having lived and worked in the Balkans for many years I soon became aware of the huge hailstones that can occur in mountains in the summer storms. It is the usual practice to find shelter for the front screen if the clouds are suspicious.
Been there done that, albeit in Paris! managed to hide under a large tree just as we entered a campsite so avoided the 'belting' but it was certainly an experience, not had anything like that since in all the years we've had MHs.

In these places screens can be obtained for road vehicles common to the area, but I would not like to be in anything which may originate on a chassis which is not imported to that country. Its an inconvenience I would prefer to avoid. So low profile gives one a sporting chance.
I understand that and one of the things we considered when changing from a LP front/PVC to an A-class but the likelihood is so small we weren't prepared to worry about the 'what if' and spoil the rest of our MH enjoyment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I will draw a line under this now , and might pop-up again in other forums when my curiosity is triggered by my MH viewing! Sincere thanks again.
LIne drawn again?
You can say it as much as you like but as you've found out there's no stopping us once we start! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just one thing to think about mish - if you go for a new one which you have to order you could be in for a very, very long wait due to a dearth of base vehicles to convert therefore looking for a new 'stock' MH or a nearly new used or a dealer's demo might ensure you get one now rather than have to twiddle your thumbs whiling the time away.

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
MG thanks. I was beginning to think others may have been wary of my experiences and thought I was pulling the wool - so have you been on aid convoys too?! The hailstones in the mountains are not just golf ball size but also the shape of a lemon or plum and quite fearful. I am not worried about supply this year as next year will be when we set off. Meantime there might be a surplus of ex-hire bargains next winter, we never know. As for drawing the line, I know what you mean but people are picking this up halfway through the thread and not reading all the content , then repeating previous points. I have asked admin how I can close the thread but they must be away for the holiday.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
MG thanks. I was beginning to think others may have been wary of my experiences and thought I was pulling the wool - so have you been on aid convoys too?! The hailstones in the mountains are not just golf ball size but also the shape of a lemon or plum and quite fearful.
No not done any 'aid' convoys but certainly given help to quite a few MHs when away! :giggle:

I am not worried about supply this year as next year will be when we set off. Meantime there might be a surplus of ex-hire bargains next winter, we never know.
The only thing about ex-hire ones is that they aren't usually of a 'quality' that I think you'd want, they won't come with lots of the niceties that you seem to want or the layout, they also could have had damage that's been repaired which you might not see now but could later on, also they don't tend to keep their value as much IMV, some insurers may also not be happy with them and/or ask a higher premium because of their history, which is also a consideration.

As for drawing the line, I know what you mean but people are picking this up halfway through the thread and not reading all the content , then repeating previous points. I have asked admin how I can close the thread but they must be away for the holiday.
Only Jim can close the thread but he'd normally have to have a very good reason to do so, normally the OP asking isn't sufficient as threads, once created, are open to subscribers (and free members for a while) to comment as much as they wish as often a thread started by one member is then 'hijacked' by another to ask questions too of a similar nature rather than start a new one, or to build on what has already been commented on for their own benefit. The only way it's likely to be closed is if someone has a right ding-dong with another funster or gets very offensive so the thread is locked and responses are no longer allowed ... I would suggest you don't think of doing that do otherwise you could end up with a permanent 'holiday' in Coventry! :giggle:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Only Jim can close the thread but he'd normally have to have a very good reason to do so, normally the OP asking isn't sufficient as threads, once created, are open to subscribers (and free members for a while) to comment as much as they wish as often a thread started by one member is then 'hijacked' by another to ask questions too of a similar nature rather than start a new one, or to build on what has already been commented on for their own benefit. The only way it's likely to be closed is if someone has a right ding-dong with another funster or gets very offensive so the thread is locked and responses are no longer allowed ... I would suggest you don't think of doing that do otherwise you could end up with a permanent 'holiday' in Coventry! :giggle:
He's a hard guy to please! How can you have to much info when you re looking to make a major purchase :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
He's a hard guy to please! How can you have to much info when you re looking to make a major purchase :giggle:
Now, now, we all have to 'learn' that even if we believe we know what we want and are content that our knowledge is sufficient, other people's comments subtly implant other thoughts and queries into our brains so eventually we realise that there are things we don't know or aren't sure about so we come back for more advice ... it won't be long I'm sure before more questions etc are forthcoming. :giggle:

Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
As previously stated the German vans have the best reputation for high quality build and Hymer supply the the greatest number but Hymer also own the brands of Deffleths and Burstner and also Carado my own Carado is built in the Capron factory in saxony on the German /Swiss border have a look at Utube capron factory my van meets most of what you are looking for

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Perhaps the ex hire vans, when sold off at the end of the season may look to be good bargains but you were looking, I thought, for a quality van. Hire vans tend to be used as the often replaced parts are less expensive. Sad to say some of the quality vans parts can be quite expensive but the ex hire vans can offer great savings. One company ("Just Go") used to pay for you to fly out and collect new vans for them. Not sure if they still do since Corvid but this could be a great way to find if you like the van you collect.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi we live in France & I'm 73. For our 'till I die vehicle bought a Westfalia Jules Verne. It is a pop-top though there are others of course. It is on a Mercedes Vito 5.4m Vito Auto Chassis. Park anywhere up to 2m high. Get 40+mpg & best motor I have ever owned.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
We enjoyed a used Concorde Charisma on a Merc for several years but the threat of a 3500kg limit meant it had to go. We went for the max we could squeeze in within that weight catagory a Hymer MLI 540 on a 3 litre Merc base. Most of the toys but compact. A Lithium battery saved 62 kg alone replacing three big Varta lumps. Then the spare wheel, do you need carry this? But we do now tow an aluminium box trailer for other essentials, like a motorbike and sidecar.
Enjoy it all while you can

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi we live in France & I'm 73. For our 'till I die vehicle bought a Westfalia Jules Verne. It is a pop-top though there are others of course. It is on a Mercedes Vito 5.4m Vito Auto Chassis. Park anywhere up to 2m high. Get 40+mpg & best motor I have ever owned.
Agree with you the Westfalia's are really well built (y)

Gritto

Free Member
Jun 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
IH J1000
Exp
1 month
We have a Ih J1000 on a Fiat chassis. This is a superbly built motorhome and all built in Yorkshire. I would highly recommend them.

Laughing Gravy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
WildAx Motorhomes probably seem to take more pride and invest more in the quality of fit and materials than I would say any manufacturer I know.

I haven’t got a wildax and I don’t work for them but just have come to this opinion through looking carefully at a range of vans available in the UK

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
MG thanks. I was beginning to think others may have been wary of my experiences and thought I was pulling the wool - so have you been on aid convoys too?! The hailstones in the mountains are not just golf ball size but also the shape of a lemon or plum and quite fearful. I am not worried about supply this year as next year will be when we set off. Meantime there might be a surplus of ex-hire bargains next winter, we never know. As for drawing the line, I know what you mean but people are picking this up halfway through the thread and not reading all the content , then repeating previous points. I have asked admin how I can close the thread but they must be away for the holiday.
You’re probably new to Internet forums, as you don’t seem to realise how threads take on a life of their own. 😂Just because you’ve started a thread, don’t expect it to go the way you want it to go, or that peeps RTFT.😂

To be honest, this thread is pretty good at staying on topic. Many threads quickly morph into something else. 🤣

It’s an interesting discussion, so why would it be closed?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We enjoyed a used Concorde Charisma on a Merc for several years but the threat of a 3500kg limit meant it had to go. We went for the max we could squeeze in within that weight catagory a Hymer MLI 540 on a 3 litre Merc base. Most of the toys but compact. A Lithium battery saved 62 kg alone replacing three big Varta lumps. Then the spare wheel, do you need carry this? But we do now tow an aluminium box trailer for other essentials, like a motorbike and sidecar.
Enjoy it all while you can
Are you more like the Two fat ladies or Wallace and Grommet? :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back