Jul 4, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coach-built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi folks!

I'm new here, and new to motorhoming. I haven't actually bought one yet, but the money's there - ready and waiting. And I've seen a couple that I'm interested in. I'm going more for the van conversion type because it's more practical for me in many senses, but mainly size and convenience. I don't need a lounge on wheels. Just as long as it's comfortably fitted out and has got cooking and showering facilities.

Okay, though... here's the issue. The two I've seen are more or less identical (same year, same price, same overall condition) - except one is petrol and the other diesel.

The petrol one is an Autosleeper Symphony, 2.0 litre, 1997, 35,000 miles (I think the condition bears out that it isn't second time around!).

The diesel one is a Swift Mondial, 1.9 TD, 1997, 63,000 miles.

I'm on a budget, so want to keep running costs as low as possible. The salesman for the petrol one told me I'll get 'a bit under 30 mpg', whereas the diesel will probably give more and have a tougher engine. But then diesel's dearer than petrol (though the differential isn't as much as it was).

Any thoughts and suggestions to help me decide would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Stan :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Firstly I don't know of any 2 litre petrol engined van that will do 30 MPG.
Secondly the service cost are generally lower on a diesel as you don't have spark plugs etc to change.
Thirdly the resale price of the diesel will be better than the petrol engined one.
If you intend doing a large millage the diesel will be more reliable and because its a heavier duty engine than its petrol counterpart it is capable of a higher mileage.
Having said all of the above am sure someone will say differently,especially if they own a petrol engined camper.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Just to say :welcome: Stan :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I (sorry we) own a 1997 Symphony with the 2litre petrol engine. We get around 24 mpg regardless of motorway/rural roads and whether in a rush or not. Lacks oomph on hills but generally easy to maintain.
My cousin has a 2004 Wildax with the diesel engine (not sure if 2.0 or 2.2 ) and when we are out in theirs it is obviously much more powerful and I know he gets around 33mpg. I'm pretty sure if I were to change it would be a diesel unless the price difference becomes much bigger.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Also bear in mind that we are the only country in Europe and possibly the world that charges more for diesel than petrol. Everywhere else diesel is cheaper.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Also bear in mind that we are the only country in Europe and possibly the world that charges more for diesel than petrol. Everywhere else diesel is cheaper.

Why is that????
Wyn

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The only benefit I think you may get from a petrol is that you could convert it to run on gas, but even the gas prices are escalating now!!:Doh:

OP
OP
S

Stan Seagrave

Free Member
Jul 4, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coach-built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for your advice and welcome.

I think a diesel is what it's going to be.

Having done a little more research, though, I might go for something a bit larger. I've seen a Fiat CI Sirio 1.9 TD coach-built which is only 16' long, so would fit the space I have. Also, there's Fiat Ducato Autotrail 2.0 litre diesel (don't think it's Turbo) which would also fit the bill. And I've seen an Eldiss Autoquest, which is a tad on the big side, but still would go in. (I have an allocated parking space where I live, which is 17.5 feet by 10) I've been put off of the coach-built ones generally because of the size and weight - but either of these three might be worth considering. They don't seem, from what I can gather, to be that much heavier on fuel than the vans.

There's only me, and as I've said - I don't really want a lounge on wheels. These three I've mentioned, though, seem pretty compact and with a little more in the way of comfort. I'm 6' 5" and accept that I'd have to sleep diagonally in a van conversion bed. I tried it out and it seemed comfortable enough. But... hmm....

Stuff to dwell on... :RollEyes:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Secondly the service cost are generally lower on a diesel as you don't have spark plugs etc to change.
Thirdly the resale price of the diesel will be better than the petrol engined one.
If you intend doing a large millage the diesel will be more reliable and because its a heavier duty engine than its petrol counterpart it is capable of a higher mileage.
Having said all of the above am sure someone will say differently,especially if they own a petrol engined camper.

Spot on I will second that 100% Oh welcome to fun Stan, I am sure whatever you buy you will enjoy it :flyingwelcome: see you at ameeting one day I am sure.

All the best Rick.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Hi,
As the owner of a petrol MH I agree with the above quote and when I change I will seriously consider a diesel, but I notice you live in Kent and very close to the London Emissions zone area.
If you are buying a newer MH then the new Diesel emissions will not apply but if you are buying and older model then they will and the diesel will not be a serious option. Then and only then will the petrol engine come into its own.
In another link on this thread there was mention of lpg. If it is not fitted then it is not an economical option to have it fitted and the saving in fuel costs is minimal and sometimes has proved to be dearer, especially when you compare dearest lpg costs with cheapest petrol costs.

Norman

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My Fathers petrol Subaru Forester does 28mpg, towing a caravan it still does 28mpg!

My brothers Diesel Hyundai Tragedy (Trajet) does 35mpg, towing a caravan it does 24mpg.

It's all confusing :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Stan and welcome :thumb:May I start by saying that whichever you go for you are going to get aprox 5 mpg more out of the diesel all things being equal :Smile:The D engined van will be more desirable come sell time :thumb: and as such should be worth a bit more.
Your main priority is layout :thumb:pick the most comfortable van which suits your needs :thumb:Try making up beds etc, feet up lounging even room in the loo/shower :thumb:LAYOUT,LAYOUT, LAYOUT :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back