Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Sold our Campervan and bought a cheap caravan for Glastonbury this year, we toured Wye Valley and The Lake District on the way home. The caravan was really handy, set up base and use the car for getting about, but towing it all that way( we covered 1511 miles) was a pain in the preverbial! I still prefer going for a MH but wifey is swaying towards a caravan!

Considered buying an Iveco and building my own MH - undecided but more or less ready to make a purchase, help me convince the wife?:)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey

Do not ask me for help as I have just swapped the motorhome for a caravan

I think I agree getting there is easier with a motorhome , but towing just does not bother me.

Once there a caravan, within a reasonable price range, affords more comfort and of course you have the benifit af a car for trips out.

The downside is that you miss out on some brilliant free French aires

I am sure many more will be along with suggestions and to be honest there is no black and white answer.

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Sold our Campervan and bought a cheap caravan for Glastonbury this year, we toured Wye Valley and The Lake District on the way home. The caravan was really handy, set up base and use the car for getting about, but towing it all that way( we covered 1511 miles) was a pain in the preverbial! I still prefer going for a MH but wifey is swaying towards a caravan!

Considered buying an Iveco and building my own MH - undecided but more or less ready to make a purchase, help me convince the wife?:)

did you say them gastly words :Eeek: c+++++n:cry: cant bring my self to repeat them words ? you will hit by a bolt of lightening from the motorhome god ??? goodluck and go for a motorhome or jim may bar you :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
help me convince the wife?:)

It seems to me that if you tour day in day out the MH wins but if you stop for days then caravan wins handsomely.

We "did" Morocco. That is loads of driving. Motorhome fits perfectly except that when we returned we needed a holiday to recover. And just to spice up the argument, we bumped into a Dutch group who take their caravans to Morocco every year.

Bottom line is, I believe, a caravan is for a good holiday a MH is for a good adventure.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I agree with Hilldweller.

We should really have a caravan but I am too lazy for all that setting up.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Its horses for courses, if you drive to a site and have your holiday on that site, then you may as well have a caravan.
However if you wildcamp, use aires, tour, moving on every couple of days then a motorhome is king. It is self contained and with solar power totally independant of a site. You pays your money and makes your choice.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Build your own :thumb:::bigsmile:Take a look at mine in the MHF garage (Iveco ambulance)
terry
Link Removed

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Here is my pennies worth..

I have talked about this with many MHF peeps at shows and meets so far, We were caravaners years ago and always wanted a motorhome, Now we have a motorhome we have thought alot about is this the right choice, In one answer we don't know.. When on site with a caravan you can go off to places and leave the holiday home there, With a motorhome your stuffed to go anywhere without moving off or towing a car and that is more costs.

I think you have to look at the other down sides of both, Here is my view on pro and con's

Pro's:

Motorhome is alot quicker at set up.

Motorhome is better on long journeys with kids (I know this table,toys,drawing)

Motorhome is quicker i would say on a journey 70mph not 60mph.

All our beds are made up in motorhome no making beds at night.

If you need to stop and set up for the night you can with ease.

You dont have to climb over all your awning in a motorhome or waste containers etc.

MPG is better than towing on most cars. (not all though)

Motorhomes hold there value better than a car or caravan in the long term.

You can park at Euro Disney Crar Park in Motorhome ::bigsmile:

Con's

Stuck on site unless you tow or drive off or take bikes like us but if raining not good.

Car and caravan loose value fast.

You have to run a large car everyday or have two cars.

Making beds up everyday for us would drive me mad.

Toilets and showers are mostly small in caravans.

Cost wise i would say its the same as runing a large car and caravan, still have two insurances one for car and one for caravan & caravans can be more expensive, Still have storage cost if you need it, the only thing you dont have is road tax on caravan, all in all the major thing in all this is if you want to go out and about daily get a caravan. If you don't mind walking and keeping fit Motorhome will do fine. And when its raining cats and dogs in a motorhome just pull up and make tea and sleep.

Would i change to a caravan if i could go back 12mths proberbly. But i love the motorhome and kids love it we have fun and thats all that matters...

Craig

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Build your own :thumb:::bigsmile:Take a look at mine in the MHF garage (Iveco ambulance)
terry
Link Removed

That looks great! I looked at Ambulances, the only thing that put me of them was the fact that there are usually four of us (adults) and would need two double beds at best and fours seats all with seat belts.

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks peeps!

Some great points there, I think "no black and white answer" sums it up! most of our holidays are Music festivals, where we don't need a car but we do need a good shower/toilet on board. But since our trip home from Glasto we realised how much we were missing out on.

'er indoors has talked me into looking at Caravans tomorrow, so I shall see, but I am still on the side of the Motorhome!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Buy a RV put a car on the back, 12' living room, walk in bathroom, black tank lasts a week before thinking about emptying it, grey the same, after the first time away, she won't let you buy a caravan, my wife it's RV or hotel, she hates caravans, so thats me sorted.

Good luck with the decision.

All the best Rick

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
did you say them gastly words :Eeek: c+++++n:cry: cant bring my self to repeat them words ? you will hit by a bolt of lightening from the motorhome god ??? goodluck and go for a motorhome or jim may bar you :ROFLMAO:

CARA WHAT! :Eeek: :Doh:???? as the saying goes...been there done that many years ago..... I may still have the teeeeee shirt if I look...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ..did about 15-20 years tugging..not for me....A MOTORHOME.......every time........ it is what ever floats your boat and suits your pocket and lifestyle...times are hard at the moment...a caravan is certainly a cheaper option...no tax or sorn....old Motorhome = New Caravan....so think hard before you buy..as Laneside (Alan) said in a previous thread, he would never recoup the the difference..:Doh:.:thumb::thumb:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I would defo go for a 5th wheeler over a caravan (or an RV over anything) and get something cool to pull it with (Dodge Ram etc) or Navara or something similiar if you were wanting to be more 'practical'

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That looks great! I looked at Ambulances, the only thing that put me of them was the fact that there are usually four of us (adults) and would need two double beds at best and fours seats all with seat belts.
iIf you use the LWB Iveco you can put in what you want
terry

That has no bearing on MH vs caravan, except no-one builds a caravan.

Did Douzrper not mention building his own out of Iveco van -OPENING POST AT THE BOTTOM:RollEyes::winky:

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Went and looked at Caravans..........

A Motorhome it is!!!!!!!!!

Now to get looking, only after a cheap one and there seems to be plenty of choice!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Bottom line is, I believe, a caravan is for a good holiday a MH is for a good adventure.

Done more research.....

Was riding past Discovery Durham, I stopped and poked my head into caravans. Quite an eye opener. The accommodation is closer to RV than motorhome. For under £10K I could have walked away with an as new caraven with the interior of a £60K motorhome.

Certainly food for thought as ever rising costs make big mileages in a MH less and less viable.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Been there done most types of camping. For the past 6 years I have owned a Pennine cross between a caravan and a tent and I also have a camper-van that is below 2m in height with the roof down. :welcome:I only take the Pennine on rare occasions and use the camper for all other trips. The Pennine could be replaced with a small or large caravan if you preferred. The absolute best of both words. ::bigsmile:riving2:
The camper can even be used as an everyday run around if you like get rid of the car. :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back