Putting together a bit of a tutorial for folk (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sooooooooooo

The idea is this..

This will be in the form of an informal short 'class' at some meets and shows, and will cover the basics of using a multi meter and a few hints and tips on fault finding in your vans

All simple stuff ( unless specifics asked for and I will do my best to cover individual problems )

Probably no more than 30 minutes to an hour but longer if needs be

1) Would this be something peeps might be interested in

2) Anything specific that YOU would like to cover in such a chat ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Good idea, this is something a number of us could do around the country. Basic multimeter use, 12v wiring and testing.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Would it answer questions like " What is a multi meter"?

Sounds like a great idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Sooooooooooo

The idea is this..

This will be in the form of an informal short 'class' at some meets and shows, and will cover the basics of using a multi meter and a few hints and tips on fault finding in your vans

All simple stuff ( unless specifics asked for and I will do my best to cover individual problems )

Yes please to question No 2...

What is the answer to the question, what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything???

What is a quick screw? one that goes in easily?

How deep is your love??

What the hell is NORMAL?????

If a man is in the middle of the Amazon forest all alone and he speaks....is he still wrong??????

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Think things like this are a really good idea, my particular wish for some one to do (and I would willingly pay) is to update my Tom Tom, one mans expertise is another mans mystery and initiatives like this can only be good.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Carol, if you go on the TomTom web site you can download their interface program.
It self installs and is very easy to use
Once installed simply plug the unit in to the computer using a USB lead, and it will automatically offer you all the available updates :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Jaws, we have just been trying for a hour and it comes back error Ed is sure be have now bugg##d it up, can't find interface bit though...help......

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Its a Go 700 now after us connecting it up nothing seems to work properly the thing that comes up is they want £44 for new maps ouch...

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. not really too familiar with the Go 700, but as a starter I would open a paper clip up and pock it through the little hole on the bottom .. That will do a hard reset.

See if that helps.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ok.. not really too familiar with the Go 700, but as a starter I would open a paper clip up and pock it through the little hole on the bottom .. That will do a hard reset.

See if that helps.

Thanks Jaws, Ed has now fiddled and got it back to the old settings, we will see if there is any other way of updating it a bit cheaper.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No, I am afraid on that model there is no option..

I know it is proly not what you want to hear, but I would seriously think about selling it on and getting an XL.. That and a fair few other models are supported by the 'user update' scheme which is completely free..

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Sooooooooooo

The idea is this..

Video it, edit it down to usable chunks and put it on youtube linked back to Fun?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry no..
Used to do it for a living and the amount of errors folk make due to either a bit of poor explaining or poor understanding is always high

When dealing with eletrickery and the possible awful consequences of getting it wrong in a motor home I think one to one is safer ( and I do not mean injury as I will limit the info to 12v systems only.. I am talking about fires and damaged items caused by wrong diagnosis or installation...

If I do put something together I would be happy to send the script to others so they can do a talk too ( adding their own bits and leaving other bits out as they see necessary )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back