Best cleaner and polish/wax for Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Decided to give the MH a bit of love and wash and polish her. Since new I have been using Fenwicks MH cleaner and Callinite 476S wax and been happy with the results. However, MH approaching her 6th birthday and I am noticing a few things that I would like to rectify and would appreciate solutions/ideas/recommendations from members....

1. The rubber(?) joint seals have discoloured and in some places have black/grey blotches that are proving resistant to being removed. Tried nylon brush and stronger cleaning solution with no effect. Is there a sealing strip blotch remover?
2. The front of the MH is fibreglass and has gone dull and and less "white" than the sides of the MH. Can this be "cut" back gently to restore original finish?
3. There are some light "scuffs" from trees/ roadside hedges etc on the sides of the MH that do not go through the paint finish but leave light scratch marks that I would like to remove. Any ideas on good products for this?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I'm a big fan of Traffic Film Remover, get it from your car accessory shop, not expensive and very effective on vehicles that been washed conventionally for a few years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes you can and it sounds like you need to cut the fibreglass back to remove some oxidisation, you can do it by hand but a decent rotary polisher would be easier, but take care as you can do damage with too much heat or too heavy cutting.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Decided to give the MH a bit of love and wash and polish her. Since new I have been using Fenwicks MH cleaner and Callinite 476S wax and been happy with the results. However, MH approaching her 6th birthday and I am noticing a few things that I would like to rectify and would appreciate solutions/ideas/recommendations from members....

1. The rubber(?) joint seals have discoloured and in some places have black/grey blotches that are proving resistant to being removed. Tried nylon brush and stronger cleaning solution with no effect. Is there a sealing strip blotch remover?
2. The front of the MH is fibreglass and has gone dull and and less "white" than the sides of the MH. Can this be "cut" back gently to restore original finish?
3. There are some light "scuffs" from trees/ roadside hedges etc on the sides of the MH that do not go through the paint finish but leave light scratch marks that I would like to remove. Any ideas on good products for this?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I posted something similar last year;

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I use Carapak maintenance products, mainly the wash and wax for regualr cleaning and once or twice a year I will polish using Autoglym, especially the roof.
ezee

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have just cleaned my dirty joint seals using T Cut and then will polish over . They are now nice and white.
Once finished cleaning and washing I will be using Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray polish, spray on wash off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Thanks for all the responses. The Collinite 476S used to be the experts recommended wax for a longer lasting finish. Has the new breed of finishes such as Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray polish now taken the crown? Not looking for a show finish, just a good one that will last a while - Collinite once a year has been realy good for me so far but I guess I should consider the new products (or should I?)

Anyone recommend an inexpensive but capable polisher for the fiberglass?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all the responses. The Collinite 476S used to be the experts recommended wax for a longer lasting finish. Has the new breed of finishes such as Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray polish now taken the crown? Not looking for a show finish, just a good one that will last a while - Collinite once a year has been realy good for me so far but I guess I should consider the new products (or should I?)

I used Collinite before but don’t have the energy for all that rubbing and buffing anymore so the spray Meguiars is a better option for me, if it’s once a year no problem.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I bought one of these a couple of years back, https://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product/dodo-juice-buff-daddy-dual-action-polisher-free-pads-2/

Medium and fine compound I think but jongood will confirm as he has my machine at the moment.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
.Larrynwin, Can I ask, does the Meguiars product last as well as the Collinite?

(Agree with your "All lives matter" footnote (y))

Thanks 👍
I have googled and read reports and it seems to be a good alternative to cloth applied wax and with the ease of application if it was needed every six months it would not be a problem for me.
I am taking the easy option which may or may not be the best for yourself but until I have tried it I cannot say more.
It’s going on in the next few days when cleaning is finished.
Best wishes.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Thanks 👍
I have googled and read reports and it seems to be a good alternative to cloth applied wax and with the ease of application if it was needed every six months it would not be a problem for me.
I am taking the easy option which may or may not be the best for yourself but until I have tried it I cannot say more.
It’s going on in the next few days when cleaning is finished.
Best wishes.
Is that applied to grp as well as the ordinary bodywork? Please let us know how it turns out.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Is that applied to grp as well as the ordinary bodywork? Please let us know how it turns out.
Yes I will , have checked all instructions and no warnings but will try a small area on end cap before doing it all.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Starbrite from Mailspeed marine etc is VERY good at restoring old/dulled fibreglass. Used to use it on the front roof caps of my A Class RV's where no one could reach and it had dulled off.
After that, regular polishing with Autoglym has always sufficed.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Starbrite’s Black Streak Remover was probably the single most useful cleaning product when we had our sailing yacht. Amazing stuff.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Meguiars ceramic went ok, the very first application should be polished off as you would a normal wax which I have done but have yet to do the second application and spray off.
Here’s a photo of the bonnet following the one coat which looks fine and with future applications spray off should be easier.
1E61601E-11F7-4BCF-AA46-1DE4E4A2DFF5.jpeg
166E529B-38B0-4148-B7AB-29964D06DCAD.jpeg

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Can I ask if you did a cut back to remove oxidation and if so was it by hand or with a polisher? I have just hand polished a 6 year old Hymer bonnet with Meguiars 49 which is for boats and RVs by hand. The result was good and after 2 coats of Collinite 476S it is looking very good and certainly is super smooth to the touch. I suspect that it would have been even better is I had bought and used a polisher....

I know some on the forum do not rate Collinite wax but my van was last waxed over 18 months ago and a quick wash with just a cleaner and it is super shiny again on the sides again - just saying.....

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can I ask if you did a cut back to remove oxidation and if so was it by hand or with a polisher? I have just hand polished a 6 year old Hymer bonnet with Meguiars 49 which is for boats and RVs by hand. The result was good and after 2 coats of Collinite 476S it is looking very good and certainly is super smooth to the touch. I suspect that it would have been even better is I had bought and used a polisher....

I know some on the forum do not rate Collinite wax but my van was last waxed over 18 months ago and a quick wash with just a cleaner and it is super shiny again on the sides again - just saying.....
There was no oxidisation, I washed with Meguiars gold and then applied the polish. The grp sections on this mhome are holding shine very well and since new which is five years I have only polished it once and used Collinite in its second year.
When I wash it I usually use Mother’s wash wax which brings it up well.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Starbrite from Mailspeed marine etc is VERY good at restoring old/dulled fibreglass. Used to use it on the front roof caps of my A Class RV's where no one could reach and it had dulled off.
After that, regular polishing with Autoglym has always sufficed.
I’ve been on their website.....lots of different products claiming to do roughly the same job!

My Moho has very dull bodywork (fibreglass/gel coat). Do you think that their Fibreglass Colour Restorer is the one to go for? Advice appreciated.:giggle:

TeamBandS not trying to hijack your thread!(y)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I’ve been on their website.....lots of different products claiming to do roughly the same job!

My Moho has very dull bodywork (fibreglass/gel coat). Do you think that their Fibreglass Colour Restorer is the one to go for? Advice appreciated.:giggle:
This is the one I use....................

Sometimes, it took 2 coats because the first coat swirled badly. That's because the fibreglass was soooooooo dry. It has to be "fed" to keep a good gloss. Once you bring it back to life, Autoglym will suffice if used fairly regularly. I tend to polish my rigs at least 5 or 6 times a year.
Sad I know.........................but it beats mugging old ladies................alledgedly.:LOL:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

TeamBandS not trying to hijack your thread!(y)
I use these from starbrite very good stuff. Use the cleaner wax first then the polish you don’t need wax after that although I have some.
Then just wash it with the boat wash.

D43FE143-E5C1-4FDD-A88C-632AFAED720A.jpeg
52CF03ED-DEE2-40F6-B23B-20DD6CE8970E.jpeg
0C99D84A-1345-4218-9CFB-BE70C0336C46.jpeg
BDE76E68-FB3E-4A6E-AAD8-AB1C9FBEA6B3.jpeg

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks folks,looks like I’m going to be busy!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Meguiars ceramic went ok, the very first application should be polished off as you would a normal wax which I have done but have yet to do the second application and spray off.
Here’s a photo of the bonnet following the one coat which looks fine and with future applications spray off should be easier.View attachment 480114View attachment 480115
You must have bought that Hymer from Becks just after I bought mine. (y) That number was on the list they sent me to choose my registration number from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back