Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
:Angry:Just went today to maplins to buy haly price 300w inverter the assistant asked what i was going to use it on,after i told him it was to power a sky box he said it would fry the inverter within hours,Road pro said 100w or 150w would be fine.Nothing like confusing a bloke. :Confused:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
:Angry:Just went today to maplins to buy haly price 300w inverter the assistant asked what i was going to use it on,after i told him it was to power a sky box he said it would fry the inverter within hours,Road pro said 100w or 150w would be fine.Nothing like confusing a bloke. :Confused:

Why should it 'fry' the inverter? At 300w's it's well on top of the job.
Maybe you misunderstood him - or he misunderstood you ....

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In my humble opinion the gentleman in Maplins was mistaken...

Just because an inverter is rated "300" watts it doesn't mean that is what it is putting out! It means that it would be able to supply up to 300 watts. If your appliance only needed 5 watts it will only draw 5 watts via the inverter...

Having said that I bought a Maplins 300 (maybe 500) watt inverter and it was noisy and ineffective...

Maybe I just got a bad one...

JJ :Cool:

PS. an real expert will be along soon for good advice...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
possibly he was just saying their product was crap
I run a TV and sat box via a 150W inverter, total draw under 5amp (and that includes the inverter power usage)i.e. 60W
I have also run it on the £18.50 (now cheaper) 350W inverter sold on ebay fan noisey but otherwise no problem.
Link Removed

He was having a laugh. go back and ask to speak to the manager and sort it, demand one half price even if offer is ended.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Squire;442282nd him said:
Why should it 'fry' the inverter? At 300w's it's well on top of the job.
Maybe you misunderstood him - or he misunderstood you ....
Hi squire i defo did not misunderstand him nor him i. I did plenty of reserch before going down that route.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The man from Road pro gave good advice , the sky box will use about 10watt (check the data tag) so a 100 -150 watt is more than enough ..

What you need to consider before buying is the efficiency of the inverter , if you only going to use it for the Sky box a 300watt is not running very efficient .,. it's over sized.

An inverter's efficiency indicates how much of the input DC power it converts into AC power. This will never be 100% because the inverter uses some of the input DC power itself, generally around 10-25 W.

The efficiency of an inverter depends on the power output level it is operating at. At different power levels, it will be operating at different efficiencies .

Inverters operate at maximum efficiency at a power level know as it's peak efficiency point. This is generally at around 20-30 percent of it's maximum power rating. So if you have a 300 W inverter, it's peak efficiency point will be between 60 and 100W.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
WHAT IS CONFUSING IS THE WAY SOME ARE ADVERTISED AND SOLD
SOME SOLD AS 300 WATT INVERTERS ARE ACTUALLY 150 WATT WITH A MAXIMUM OF 300 WATT PEAK
SO IF YOU WERE TOLD 150WATT BY ROAD PRO ONE OF THE ABOVE TYPES WOULD ACTUALL BE WORKING TO THE TOP OF ITS RANGE
THE HALF PRICE ONE ON OFFER
WERE THEY 150S WITH A PEAK OF 300
OR 300S WITH A PEAK OF 600:Doh:
Sorry about the caps typed too much to start again:RollEyes:
Geo

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A 300w inverter is plenty to run your sky box, even if it is really only 150w as Geo suggests. Some assistants in Maplins are very good but some others don't have a clue. Unfortunately their ignorance does not prevent them issuing advice, however innappropriate.:Angry:

The ordinary Sky box on our 'backup' TV is rated at a maximum of 30w. I can't check the Sky+ HD box as Shirley is watching the tennis and I won't be popular pulling it out to look, but I would expect that might be a bit but not a lot more.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
tenis ..pull the plug

A 300w inverter is plenty to run your sky box, even if it is really only 150w as Geo suggests. Some assistants in Maplins are very good but some others don't have a clue. Unfortunately their ignorance does not prevent them issuing advice, however innappropriate.:Angry:

The ordinary Sky box on our 'backup' TV is rated at a maximum of 30w. I can't check the Sky+ HD box as Shirley is watching the tennis and I won't be popular pulling it out to look, but I would expect that might be a bit but not a lot more.

very unreasonable of SWMBO .. ten is can wait... the inverter power v sky is far more important:Blush:
Bob:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back