76 too old? (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Reading one of the posts were someone was questioning if they were too old for motorhoming at 76 got me thinking! I am at 76 not as fit as I used to be and when we bought our present motorhome we thought that we would be finished with it by the time we got to our early 70’s! But now we are raring to get out again and have already booked three campsites and are still hoping we may get to France in September for 3 weeks!I remember we stopped off at a service area on the way back from France a couple of years ago and an “ old boy” in a camper was asking where we had been.I told him and he told me he was on his way back from Spain where he had been for 3 months.He was 93 and it gave me hope that I may keep going for a few more years!! I think there will come a day when I just think I have had enough☹️

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Age is only a number. You will know when it’s time to hang up your keys. As long as you are safe to drive then carry on ! I see plenty of older people driving cars who don’t have a bed on board should they wish to pull over and have a sleep or rest from driving 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
I am a firm believer of just getting on with it, dont think about age, just ability to do the task that is what keeps you young.

I am only in my mid thirties although my birth certificate started in 1963, must have been a computor error !

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If youre able to drive the vehicle safely , good reactions, good eyesight , careful and aware then thats all that matters and not age.

But if you're like one of those on the tv shows with the old drivers mounting kerbs and driving at 10 miles an hour in a 30 etc then its time to give up at any age lol

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Well I am 76 and luckily I am as fit as a “ butchers dog”, due to the lockdown I have taken to jogging around our three acre orchard and been walking an old historic trail “ Monarchs Way “ circa King Charles 2nd 1650 ‘ish, but I am waiting to start radio therapy as I have T2+ prostate cancer.
However I/we are not letting a hitch like that interfere with our future motorhome, opps, camper van holidays and providing nothing too serious crops up for the pair of us I hope to be still vanning for at least another10 years.
BUT, could that be curtailed by, diesel propulsion, prohibitive fuel and road fund licence, I suppose five years maybe more practical to aim for.

BernieT

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I’m fast approaching 72, I’ve gone back to caravanning, but, I can see us going for a PVC at some stage in the near future, it’s the setting up malarkey that’s now doin my head in because I am not as strong as I was, so pulling nearly two ton of van about is not an option

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
We’ve been motorhoming and caravanning for many years and can’t wait to get out again,Julia is 67 and I’m 79 and we certainly have no plans on giving up travelling yet. Everything shrinks with age and instead of 2 german shepherd dogs we now have a small poodle cross and drive a tiny autosleeper symbol😎

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If youre able to drive the vehicle safely , good reactions, good eyesight , careful and aware then thats all that matters and not age.

But if you're like one of those on the tv shows with the old drivers mounting kerbs and driving at 10 miles an hour in a 30 etc then its time to give up at any age lol
I'm with you on this one however, I would have a conversation with someone who loves dearly (friend or family) so that they will tell you if they feel you have got to the giving up stage as often we cannot see it in ourselves or want to admit it.

I knew my fathers MHing days were over when he came to my house and left before dark as he was not happy any more driving in the dark (he was in his car)

After that he stopped driving and passed away not long after. I am glad that the give up conversation did not have to take place but he knew I would have it

But then again the dirty work was always left to me. :rolleyes:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are both 73 and still fit and active, straining at the leash to get away again.

On 1st April I bought a new motorbike as I intend to enjoy whatever time I have left on this Earth.

You are only as old as you feel. The time to give up an activity is when you feel too old to continue any activity.

For instance I decided not to run any Marathon’s .......

.......when I was 14. :cool:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm with you on this one however, I would have a conversation with someone who loves dearly (friend or family) so that they will tell you if they feel you have got to the giving up stage as often we cannot see it in ourselves or want to admit it.

I knew my fathers MHing days were over when he came to my house and left before dark as he was not happy any more driving in the dark (he was in his car)

After that he stopped driving and passed away not long after. I am glad that the give up conversation did not have to take place but he knew I would have it

But then again the dirty work was always left to me. :rolleyes:
Yes we've had that conversation with my mum last year .....she hasnt driven now in about 2.5 years but started talking about it again last year...

Still has her car though she just doesn't get to drive it ...if we take her anywhere we use her car

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I am a firm believer of just getting on with it, dont think about age, just ability to do the task that is what keeps you young.

I am only in my mid thirties although my birth certificate started in 1963, must have been a computor error !
Crikey you are a young then being born in 1963.😃

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I'm 72 this year, and just renewed my Full Race and Stage Rally licenses.:
IMG_20160501_124913.jpg
30-LJ18_54772-(ZF-9026-99040-1-005).jpg

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've always said we'd carry on whilst we were able and both feel that motorhoming has given us a renewed interest in life.

But I have to say that being cooped up, with only the occasional foray, over the last year has got me thinking. But come mid-April I'm hoping that first trip, albeit only a couple of days, will change my attitude.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It's more about health than age, I've known as people who were old at 65 and some who were not old at 80. The hardest part is knowing when you have reached the stage where you are too old to drive, it's not an easy decision.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
More important to me than being too old to drive, is being too old to defend my wife and the van from being targeted by Scrotes ! ! !
I still feel more than able to do that in the far flung places we visit, for a few years longer, even when 2 of them come at once, but those days are dwindling.
THAT will be the limiting factor for us.
Then it will have to be car and Hotels or Plane and hotels.
Still not too shabby 😜
In the meantime.
Onward and upwards folks....
👍
Mitch

Feb 10, 2021
Kent
Funster No
MH
autosleeper neuvo
Exp
Year dot!!!
Reading one of the posts were someone was questioning if they were too old for motorhoming at 76 got me thinking! I am at 76 not as fit as I used to be and when we bought our present motorhome we thought that we would be finished with it by the time we got to our early 70’s! But now we are raring to get out again and have already booked three campsites and are still hoping we may get to France in September for 3 weeks!I remember we stopped off at a service area on the way back from France a couple of years ago and an “ old boy” in a camper was asking where we had been.I told him and he told me he was on his way back from Spain where he had been for 3 months.He was 93 and it gave me hope that I may keep going for a few more years!! I think there will come a day when I just think I have had enough☹️

Feb 10, 2021
Kent
Funster No
MH
autosleeper neuvo
Exp
Year dot!!!
As an 82 year old that has just bought a NEW Neuvo, I can honestly say that there is No Age Limit . We have been to Morocco, Croatia and Spain in the last few years and am just waiting for the restrictions to end before we are Off Again. Enjoy yourself and remember ... You are as old as you feel ( and I don't feel old ) and There's life in the old dog yet so just enjoy life while you can . Good luck .

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Makes you wonder who insured him.
Many insurers seem to have a cut off age far below that.

Here in Poland, like some other countries, the insurance attaches to the vehicle not the driver. I have heard of policies which stipulate a minimum age of 25 for the driver of the vehicle, but not yet heard of a max age - must enquire.

I am 79(just) and intend to go on for a few years. I have also just got my Polish licence, with C1 medical which lasts for 5 years till next medical, so till I am near 84, so now I can look for a newer MH with confidence.

Then I have a fall-back of having a lady 16 years younger who could take over the driving - if I can boot her into taking her C1 test, as I refuse to spend my money on paying for a smaller payload and lower quality build to get under 3500kg, for full tanks and wildcamping reasons, which is our preference.

A slight aside, but I did once enquire about 'Loss of Licence'' insurance for losing C1, just as we pilots could get for our licences, but there seems to be no market. Maybe because pilots retire earlier than the 70 years when C1 medicals kick in.

Any HGV drivers got that insurance for when they need medicals at 45?

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back