Argggh! Help please (fuse blown???) (1 Viewer)

Roller Teamer

Free Member
Jun 30, 2011
Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all,

We have recently traded up to a newer and bigger motorhome (Roller Team, Autoroller 700). Our first trip away in it is tomorrow but as my husband is somewhere up a mountain in France I am in charge.

Tonight the kids decided to sleep in it as a practice for tomorrow but just as they were getting ready for bed all the lights went out and now there is no electricity at all in the habitation area. Yikes! Has a fuse blown? I have located the fuse box but have no idea how I would know which one has gone (if any). I am hopelessly un-mechanically minded and have no idea what to do. The manuals are of no use to me.

I am totally fed up :((

Please help.

OP
OP
R

Roller Teamer

Free Member
Jun 30, 2011
Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So... Having searched the Internet I think that the circuit board must have died - does this sound feasible? What rotten timing! Leaving for our holiday in the morning - children so excited. I feel wretched.

Any ideas at all??

Upvote 0

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Are you on hook up and mains or on 12volt? If mains check the fuse in the plug. I'm surprised if both mains and 12 volt supply pack up at the same time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi, maybe the trip switch has tripped and all that is needed is to switch it back on

Lesley

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Roller Teamer

Free Member
Jun 30, 2011
Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thank you to all for your help. We were on electric hook up when everything went off. The power button on the board thingy above the door and the awning light did not work. No 12v and no mains elec at all. Yet the battery power and water level indicators did work.

Notice I use the past tense! This morning I tried again. Nothing. Checked all the fuses, none seem to have blown. Started the engine. Hey presto! Normal service resumed.

Huge sigh of relief from me, big smiles from children and packing recommenced.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I have no idea what was wrong but hopefully it won't happen again.

x

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have no idea what was wrong but hopefully it won't happen again.

x

Of course it will happen again. You've not identified the fault. You've not fixed anything so in all probability it will happen again.

I don't know you vehicle but for a start I'd be checking the battery charger.

You really should try and identify the fault where you can get help rather than half way up a mountain in France.

At least make sure you have some good torches.

Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi all,

We have recently traded up to a newer and bigger motorhome (Roller Team, Autoroller 700). Our first trip away in it is tomorrow but as my husband is somewhere up a mountain in France I am in charge.

Tonight the kids decided to sleep in it as a practice for tomorrow but just as they were getting ready for bed all the lights went out and now there is no electricity at all in the habitation area. Yikes! Has a fuse blown? I have located the fuse box but have no idea how I would know which one has gone (if any). I am hopelessly un-mechanically minded and have no idea what to do. The manuals are of no use to me.

I am totally fed up :((

Please help.

Could you not get in touch with the prev owner / seller as they may be able to guide you to find the fault

Kath

Upvote 0

rickscott

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Ellon, Aberdeenland
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
2, previous 12 caravanning
I suspect, that the battery charger is either switched off, or not working, and you simply run out of 12v.

Prior to the fault, was anything working on 240v?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Roller Teamer

Free Member
Jun 30, 2011
Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You are so right Brian! It has happened again. Must be something wrong with the leisure battery (?) as the 240v electricity is working - so at least we have a fridge, air con and satellite dish (however no tv!!!)

The 12v seems to works after I've switched on the engine. This is a new problem as the children have spent many hours in the beast since we've had it, mainly watching tv & videos. The tv runs off the 12v.

We're not going to France this weekend but South Wales - I will pack several torches & spare batteries and hope for the best. Husband can try to fix it when he's back down the mountain.

Thanks guys :thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi RT,I think you have identified your own fault--- everything works with the engine running--- your Leisure batt in capput :cry: The engine is running and supplying the juice therefore lights etc,Turn engine off and everything dies.You need a new battery :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're not going to France this weekend but South Wales -

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. That's worse than France. Strange foreign language there.

Husband can try to fix it when he's back down the mountain.

You either have a faulty battery charger or you've not got it turned on to charge the leisure battery. This may have damaged your leisure battery or you may be lucky.

It will take a 5 hour run to charge your leisure battery off your engine.

Get looking at that charger.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
go simple. get out the van, leave it on charge overnight. Try again in the morning. No power on 12v still? Take a trip to the shop and change your leisure battery.

Me suspects those pesky kids have drained the leisure battery,,,

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
You are so right Brian! It has happened again. Must be something wrong with the leisure battery (?) as the 240v electricity is working - so at least we have a fridge, air con and satellite dish (however no tv!!!)

The 12v seems to works after I've switched on the engine. This is a new problem as the children have spent many hours in the beast since we've had it, mainly watching tv & videos. The tv runs off the 12v.

Sounds like you have a fault with your charger/ and or the battery condition.

When you start the engine the battery will then be running / charging off the engine.

Did you have the 240 V hooked up when the kids were watching the tv?
The kids have been watching hours of TV (12V) as you mentioned, that would soon drain the battery if it is not charging from the 240V.

The battery may also be in a poor condition. Try to put a test meter on the battery, then again when the engine is running and also when on 240V, see if it is charging ok.

Also then check how long it is holding the charge, after you have given it a good run on the engine.

Good luck,

Callum

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Before doing anything expensive, check the mains circuit breakers. If one has tripped or got knocked it will be in the down position. Should be in the up position. The charger usually has its own circuit breaker and this may be what has tripped.
I am not familiar with your particular van so cannot help as to where the circuit breakers are located.

Best of luck. :thumb:

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As a quick fix take a plug in (mains powered) battery charger (about £20.00 from argos or similar) with you and plug in the charger and connect to the leisure battery when on hook up.

It wont solve your actual problem but will charge the battery if the one in the van is creamed.

A new leisure battery as suggested will also be a good investment, get the biggest capacity you are able to fit in the space provided for it. Any decent motor spares shop will be able to help you and fit it if you ask nicely. They will also be able to properly test the existing leisure battery for you free of charge.

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and for the tv if it is only 12v take along a 3 in 1 battery power pack they have a cig lighter type plug if the same as your tv, like the one on the link below below

Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Roller Teamer

Free Member
Jun 30, 2011
Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks again everyone. I have learnt sooo much on this trip :)

I seem to have discovered the problem - it was embarrassingly simple! Seems that the connection between the charger and the leisure battery had worked loose. Have pushed it back in and all seems to work now.

Happy motorhoming :)

RT
x

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well done RT ..
Glad to hear you got it sorted out :)

It is amazing how many times faults are easy fix's if you take a bit of time ..... :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back