LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Must have one,,,, on ebay now,,, must get one,,, I have a iphone on orange unlimited data, please help,,,,

Addict needs help,,,, must have one??/

hows it all work?

can I use it abroad?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just got my 3 mi fi dongle and using it at moment at Thirsk. Its the bees knees or the dogs thingys. :thumb:
Bought it direct from 3 online, posted next day royal mail service, £71 includes 3gb/3 months use then payg £10 per gb. :Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Using mine at the moment as I write.

I have it in the window of my cabin on the ship. I currently have a German Fonic sim card in it, PAYG 2.50€ per day, unlimited data.

I bought mine 2nd hand for £30, just make sure it's unlocked so you can swop sim cards.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Bought one from the local "3" shop in May and used it whilst we were away at Misterton, Peterborough and Stratford - though not at Thetford as, unusually, there was no "3" signal (never thought of sticking it on a pole in a doggy doo bag :Smile:).

Didn't bother with an unlocked one as we only intend using it in this country but Callum's advice is obviously correct if using it elsewhere.

Reception is very good and it is more convenient than a conventional dongle. However, if you already have a dongle or a phone which can be used as a modem and only ever want to connect one device at a time then the value has to be questioned. The real value of MiFi is to be able to use up to 5 devices simultaneously.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Bought one from the local "3" shop in May and used it whilst we were away at Misterton, Peterborough and Stratford - though not at Thetford as, unusually, there was no "3" signal (never thought of sticking it on a pole in a doggy doo bag :Smile:).

Didn't bother with an unlocked one as we only intend using it in this country but Callum's advice is obviously correct if using it elsewhere.

Reception is very good and it is more convenient than a conventional dongle. However, if you already have a dongle or a phone which can be used as a modem and only ever want to connect one device at a time then the value has to be questioned. The real value of MiFi is to be able to use up to 5 devices simultaneously.

This highlights another good reason for getting an unlocked one. Then you can also swop Sim cards in the UK.

We have experienced areas when the 3 signal has been weak or non-existent, so we put in a Vodafone sim as they had a good signal where 3 did not, and vice versa.

Just using PAYG data sims bought off e-bay. It just gives you even more flexibility without always having to stick your Mifi up a Pole! And sod's law states you can never find a Pole for the job when you need one....:Eeek:

Callum

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This highlights another good reason for getting an unlocked one. Then you can also swop Sim cards in the UK.

We have experienced areas when the 3 signal has been weak or non-existent, so we put in a Vodafone sim as they had a good signal where 3 did not, and vice versa.

Just using PAYG data sims bought off e-bay. It just gives you even more flexibility without always having to stick your Mifi up a Pole! And sod's law states you can never find a Pole for the job when you need one....:Eeek:

Callum

I agree regarding the flexibility of having an unlocked device but "3" normally has very good coverage in the areas we go to. It was a surprise when we couldn't get a signal at Thetford but that was because of the particular location (the rugby club), the area in general was still good. There was a Vodafone GPRS signal but not 3G.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
When we went to Jaw's bash in Thetford we had to put our 3 on the roof of the van to get signal:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back