Steep Hill Lincoln
Steep Hill Lincoln

Don't Miss This Steep Hill Lincoln (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were really surprised how nice Lincoln is. But it does live up to it's name! There is a nice square near the top a good place for a coffee or something to eat and when we were there a really good busker playing classical guitar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Last time we went a few years back we were quite fit so not a problem but I think we would huff and puff a bit now.
Love it for the character of the buildings and to get to the top with the historic buildings the old wall and the Cathedral, truly a beautiful Place.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I’m sure the local caravan and motorhome dealer allowed us to park up In there yard whilst we did a day visit into Lincoln, and yes very steep. The magna Cartner or one of the 3 remaining is available to view in the castle. (Pre covid) plus I got a tea towel at one of the gift shops, yes do the walk it’s fab.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
They also now have the footbridge on the high street so you’re not stuck if the level crossing is closed , stopping people crossing the line

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Plus one of the best campsites, easy bus to town & Lidl.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oh yes,definitely worth a visit. Lincoln is much underrated in my view. Heart attack hill,the castle the cathedral and lots more......including a decent selection of pubs...if they survive the pandemic.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not that much of a steep and there is a wonky gaslamp to lean on if you get weary.

Used to be lovely restaurant on the left near the top that many Funsters enjoyed.... Hope it's still there.. Think it began with Z. Was it Zoot? :whistle:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
came across a leaflet from Browns Pie shop on Steep Hill the other day, great pies.

Like this new Local Guide section Jim.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Done the steep hill quite a few times when i lived in north east lincs. It always reminded me of the hill in Madeira that you come down on the wooden sledge. I walked down that once and my knees ached for days😅

Cheers Cris.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Having grown up in the Chilterns I’d call it a slight slope, but lovely place all the same

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Used to be a good night out in lincoln

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Rode it in the Lincoln Gp (push bikes) didn't finish the race and never went back except on holiday yrs later and struggled to walk it.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I bought a van from a guy in Lincoln christmas 2019 so we stayed over to make a day of it , had a look round Lincoln in the morning then spent the rest of the afternoon and evening in the pub taking advantage of their gin offers
gin.jpg

There was a disco where I witnessed the male christmas hat (45) trying to pull the tight christmas dress(25) and failing miserably
disco.jpg

Looking back it probably wasn't the best time to tackle steep hill which is steeper that it looks and more so when you're full of gin

steep.jpg
Had to stop for a breather , Mrs Wack's knees gave up so she just watched me struggle
top.jpg
Finally made it to the top, probably should've checked Lincolnshire had an air ambulance before I started
church.jpg

There's an interesting shop about 1/2 way up that sells all kinds of aeronautical parts, gauges out of old aircraft, that sort of thing

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Best avoided when the Christmas market/fayre is on when it's that busy they have to operate a system of going up one side of the road and down the other and there is security on many of the shop doors limiting how many are in the shop to prevent the floors from collapsing.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Meany years ago we took mother in law to the Christmas Market in Lincoln. Going up was bad enough with two kids and the old bat stagering up the hill. Coming back after a few gluewines it took me all my time trying to stop her running down the hill. I don’t think she would have stopped at the station.
She fell asleep on the train. Our son said leave here there.
Next day she said her legs ached and she had a fat head.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My first experience of Lincoln was as a 17 year old back in 1974, when I was doing my square bashing at RAF Swinderby for 9 x weeks. I ended up on Jankers as a result of getting back late from a night out in Lincoln. :xeek:
A few years later (1979) I found myself back in the area when stationed at RAF Scampton, where Rita and I lived for a couple of years. From our back garden, you could see the Cathedral illuminated at night. Before getting married, I used to like having a pint in a pub on Steep Hill, called The Wig & Mitre. After getting married, I couldn't afford to do that anymore. :Eeek: I remember when there were two railway crossings in the High St, serving Central and St Marks Stations.
I too enjoy a pint down by Brayford Wharf when I can, watching the world go by. ;)

Lincoln itself, and the surrounding area, are steeped in history from throughout the centuries. It's definitely worth a visit, if you've not been before, however, parking can be a blooming nightmare, especially close to Christmas time. 👎

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Lincoln is a special place. It's where Elaine and I met in person 22 years ago,
When i read this i thought i don't remember writing this, it was 45 years ago when we meet at the YMCA. I was living there at the time. I used to frequent steep hill to go to Johnney Birkets electronics shop. SWMBO "Elaine" used to use it as an alternative to greenstone stairs to get to college. Could we get up there today?
Well worth a visit and check out the lamp posts.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lincoln is a special place. It's where Elaine and I met in person 22 years ago, having made acquaintance electronically in a newsgroup ... :h: About 1 1/2 hours was all it took to think it was worth giving it a go ...

Steve
1½ hours in the newsgroup or 1½ hours on the hill

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I seem to remember having to go to the top to find the tourist information.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Did a 10k run in Lincoln many years ago and ran up Steep Hill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back