LV insurance - strange response! (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Hunting for new MH insurance and have heard good things about LV so thought I would give them a go. Eventually found a contact number and got through to a human...... Answered the initial questions then they asked for the make and when I said HYMER they said no that is not recognised as a vehicle they insure. So I asked what about SWIFT and got the same response. I asked does this mean you don't insure MHs and was told that yes they do but not Hymer or Swift???? I challenged this as I said it was like saying you don't insure BMWs or Fords and even asked if she could check with her supervisor. When she came back it was confirmed all she had said was correct. I did not bother to check any other makes!

Am I going mad?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Issue I had with LV was lack of contents cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I contacted LV recently for insurance but they said because it was a self build then they could not insure it. I then went through AIB and they arranged insurance without any problem and the company they used - LV.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lv insure it as a motorcaran on the base vehicle ie a Fiat motorcaravan or Ford motorcaravan but they only cover the vehicle that leaves the factory so any additions eg gas bottles are not covered

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
I have taken out insurance with LV this time and it was so competitive that I rang them to confirm and it was ok

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I tried LV a year or two back and was told they did not insure Fiat. I asked for confirmation from a supervisor and it was confirmed. My Fiat is the 150 Engine.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If toy are insured with Safeguard, you are in effect insured with LV as I discovered when I claimed this year. Safeguard use a company which is owned by LV. So the payout was made by LV at the end.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The insurance companies here insure vehicles, so Ford, Fiat, Renault etc should be recognised by LV. I have used them on and off for several years without problem.
If you have ever tried to buy things for a Motorhome using the registration, like tyres, it is unlikely to recognise your vehicle.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I think if ones postcode throws up some anomalies with insurance in your area, such as car thefts etc, some companies are reluctant to insure and just find any excuse not to do, so as a high risk area. Some will price a quote so high, as they don’t want your business.
Comfort insurance I find very good. LV were just not interested.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Just insured mine again via Moneysupermarket.com with some company but the underlying insurance company is LV

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Insured with AiB.......covered by LV. (y)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Interesting. I phoned LV this week and I got the exact same response as the original poster. They don't insure Burster! Weird stuff going on there. I get the feeling they don't really understand Motor Homes.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
TeamBandS Ours is insured with LV=😊 as a Fiat Motorcaravan.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have used LV for many years for my car insurance and have been impressed with them. Changed my home insurance to them last year and saved £150 on the RIAS price and with much better coverage.

I got a quote from them that was very cheap for the motorhome, but was really worried about it. The vehicle was named as a Fiat Ducato car. I came to the conclusion that in the case of a serious accident I would have real problems as it did not recognise that the value was in the conversion not the base. Decided it was safer to stick with a proper dedicated motorhome policy from Comfort. More expensive, but well worth it for peace of mind.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I tried to get an online quote from LV for motorhome insurance about 3 weeks ago. You can select 'motorhome', but then things go haywire. Had to ring the Contact Centre and spoke to Laura who said the online system doesn't cope very well with M/Homes. She went into her system, and I could hear huffs and puffs whilst she was accessing the LV system. Finally got an additional premium of £76.83 for 25th March to mid August expiry and an A/P of £216.83; both quotes gave discounts for multi vehicle insurance [car, touring caravan and possible m/home].

Steve

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
3 of our vehicles are insured with LV. Every year they send a renewal quote much higher than the previous year. Every year i decline the renewal. Every year for each i go onto the compare sites and every year i get the same insurance for 30/40/50 quid cheaper from........yes you guessed LV. Why do they put you through this bollocks.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019

Motorhome Insurance​

This thread also covers LV insurance. I must admit it all sounded a bit odd but, we added our MH to our multicar policy and saved a large amount against CAMC for the MH alone. No complaints but, no claims made with them either. They do seem to be behind a lot of the other policies as underwriters under the Hargreaves name. There appears to be a lot of good noises about Comfort too. I think we will give them a shout next year when we renew to compare..
Take care all. 👍

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
I insured a Fiat PVC with LV through AIB last year no problems quote was quite reasonable considering we were new to it and had no NCB. This year we changed to Comfort the Aviva policy was a bit better cover and a bit cheaper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back