HGV Entitlement - Reinstatement (1 Viewer)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I thought the motorway speed limit for HGV s in UK had been 60 mph since the 80 s but hgvs were governed to 56mph under EU regs..Think trucks registered before 88 were excempt from legislation regarding speed limiters...Could have been wrong for years reading this.BUSBY.
That’s 2 of us, haha

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I don’t mind attending training , it’s the day given up unpaid and having to pay to attend.

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
At present we are still in 'the grace period' but as the CPC is not going away so that our drivers can continue to drive in the EU and vice versa as it is required in the EU (whether we are part of it or not) if we do not have similar I am sure that they would put some sort or additional acquisition to ensure knowledge is up to date.

2018 a driver that had been driving for 30 years+ was reluctantly attending a CPC course and as, in the drivers job description, was moaning that he had been driving all these years and did not need to be attending this kind of course. When discussing speed limits he loudly protested that the speed on a motorway for a LGV was 56

It was not until when he stopped for breath that he realised everyone in the room was looking at him when it was explained that the speed limit had gone up. He said it must have been recently then the trainer then explained if you call 2015 recent then yes........much to the amusement of his colleagues.

At the end of the course he stood up and in front of everyone thanked the trainer and said see you on the next one, I am sure you will have another trick to prove I don't know everything and left laughing :giggler:
I also believe that the speed limit on UK Motorways for a vehicle over 7.5 tonne is and has been for a very long time 60 mph, may I ask why you quoted my post?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Yes it is right
Ivory55.
I would advise you to check again. I’ve gone into the legislation from several sources, and the dcpc must be renewed every five years. There is no mechanism to extend it to 10 yrs.
If you’re still an active LGV/PSV driver I’d hate for you to cop a £1000 fine..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
fat haggis No you do not need do undertake Ccpc training to retain a Vocational Driving Licence, not initial nor periodic, this will also cover many motorhomers on a Category C1 driving licence as well FYI.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Ivory55.
I would advise you to check again. I’ve gone into the legislation from several sources, and the dcpc must be renewed every five years. There is no mechanism to extend it to 10 yrs.
If you’re still an active LGV/PSV driver I’d hate for you to cop a £1000 fine..
You can do the lot in 1 week or 1 day a year. If you do a 1 week course you are then covered for 5 years. Then the next 5 years kicks in you have till the end of that 5 years to complete the training. Hence it’s possible to go 10 years.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
All mine gained in the army. Didn’t do any civvy driving when I got out. A bit hard I was in a. Chair for a few years afterwards. Still I’m a what's a strap Kinda lad 😮🤪
And pulling light loads. 2 chieftains on together. Had great fun 🤩😷👍🥃

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
You can do the lot in 1 week or 1 day a year. If you do a 1 week course you are then covered for 5 years. Then the next 5 years kicks in you have till the end of that 5 years to complete the training. Hence it’s possible to go 10 years.
I don’t know how to post the info on here but the DVLA site is where I found it. There are several other reference points. Mine expires shortly and we’re I to renew I would need all five ‘days’ to be completed. I’m not renewing that or the LGV/PSV entitlement again at 72.
I occasionally drive vintage buses which I don’t need a full licence for.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi.
Tesco Warminster ?......... You could be sat there for two Birthdays with the same load......... DODGE going there !! Ask any of Eddie Stobarts old drivers, their problem there.
Tea Bag
Oh how I miss that particular use of time, not. Just get near the front of the queue, and one of their own trunkers arrives and barges straight in. Quite funny one day at Abbindon, I got turfed of the unloading dock to allow one of their lorry's to jump the queue again, he got held up for quite a while they prioritised the cages, forgetting he had plugged in a cup heater for a brew, I expect the fire this created when it boiled dry did brew his tea a bit quicker than he expected!! Expensive brew, Merc truck, knackered, trailer, knackered, job, also knackered.
Mike

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I don’t know how to post the info on here but the DVLA site is where I found it. There are several other reference points. Mine expires shortly and we’re I to renew I would need all five ‘days’ to be completed. I’m not renewing that or the LGV/PSV entitlement again at 72.
I occasionally drive vintage buses which I don’t need a full licence for.
I am not trying to argue with you or offend, but I and an awful lot of drivers are doing exactly that and it’s ok.
Ps, a lot of drivers about to retire don’t bother doing the next 5 if retirement comes before the next 5 is due.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi.
Tesco Warminster ?......... You could be sat there for two Birthdays with the same load......... DODGE going there !! Ask any of Eddie Stobarts old drivers, their problem there.
Tea Bag
As an agency driver, I once spent 9 x hours at Gist RDC Barnsley (then it was BOC). Even though they had empty trailers in the yard, they wouldn't let me swap. :( I had 2 x meals in their canteen whilst there, and only just made it back to the Spalding Depot within my 15 x hours. :whatthe:
Tesco RDCs everywhere used to be awful, but then they allowed "Drop & Drive" which cut the waiting times right down. That suited me fine, but it didn't suit all the drivers. With Browns and Hiltons, all our work was subbed out from Fowler Welch.

That’s 2 of us, haha
Three of us actually. ;)

That's how I understood it to be as well. The last time I did my DCPC, out of the 5 x modules, three of them were the same. What a farce. One instructor started spouting off about action in the event of a fire. What a load of bo@@ocks he was telling everyone, but he soon backtracked and tucked his tail between his legs, when he was made aware that there were 3 x experienced Firefighters on the course. :rofl:
The training was diabolical, and I felt that both 5 x yearly courses were a waste of time and employers money. I'm just glad I wasn't paying for them. :mad:

I'll go and have a hunt for the DCPC online, as mine has lapsed for both my Class 1 PCV & HGV. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Gave mine up at 70,,doubt I will need it again,,had it nearly 50 years so had my money's worth,,BUSBY.
Good days mate. Fun before the Snowflakes arrived. I Can't imagine many sleeping in a Scammed Constructor cab on Liverpool Docks for 5 nights.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As an agency driver, I once spent 9 x hours at Gist RDC Barnsley (then it was BOC). Even though they had empty trailers in the yard, they wouldn't let me swap. :( I had 2 x meals in their canteen whilst there, and only just made it back to the Spalding Depot within my 15 x hours. :whatthe:
Tesco RDCs everywhere used to be awful, but then they allowed "Drop & Drive" which cut the waiting times right down. That suited me fine, but it didn't suit all the drivers. With Browns and Hiltons, all our work was subbed out from Fowler Welch.

Three of us actually. ;)

That's how I understood it to be as well. The last time I did my DCPC, out of the 5 x modules, three of them were the same. What a farce. One instructor started spouting off about action in the event of a fire. What a load of bo@@ocks he was telling everyone, but he soon backtracked and tucked his tail between his legs, when he was made aware that there were 3 x experienced Firefighters on the course. :rofl:
The training was diabolical, and I felt that both 5 x yearly courses were a waste of time and employers money. I'm just glad I wasn't paying for them. :mad:

I'll go and have a hunt for the DCPC online, as mine has lapsed for both my Class 1 PCV & HGV. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Do you need to do it if you’re not planning to work, otherwise that could be viewed as self harm , haha. They might send you to the dr. Haha

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I thought the motorway speed limit for HGV s in UK had been 60 mph since the 80 s but hgvs were governed to 56mph under EU regs..Think trucks registered before 88 were excempt from legislation regarding speed limiters...Could have been wrong for years reading this.BUSBY.

Pre 88 vehicles were not limited to the 3rd lane as they were not limited to 56mph therefore the law was if a vehicle was not capable of doing 70mph it was not allowed in the 3rd lane hence they were restricted to lanes 1 & 2 buses and coaches pre 88 did not have to be limited therefore and old chugger with older braking technology and less breaking systems could travel at 70mph in the overtaking lane where a top of the range newest technology stopping systems could only travel at 60mph so they were stuck in the 2nd lane with the trucks limited at 56mph
it would not surprise me if buses and coaches will be allowed back into the other lane
its a very interesting piece of legislation that seemed to been adapted by stealth, not sure which edition of the highway code it was changed in

this makes entertaining reading if your interested in a overview of how thing have changed

love 1982 it makes me smile and how examiners were trained :eek:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
When in places like that it’s easy to spot the drivers on % as they are jumping up and down moaning like hell.
Hi.
..... You spotted me then ?.......
Tea Bag :cool: 🚛🚛🚛

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
You only need the tacho and DQC cards if you're going to drive commercially.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I had to renew my dcpc last year which is a pain as being an owner driver not only arebyou doing it without getting paid, but you're having to pay to do it. I made the mistake of not doing one module per year, soni had to do 35 hours to carry on operating.

I think what Ivory55 is saying is that once you've started your new 5 year entitlement, if you do one module every year for the next 5 years, in year 5 you just have 7 hours in a classroom to do then you're good to go for another 5 years?

The fact that you're paying to prove that you remember stuff that you've been doing for years is neither here nor there and on occasions, you're being taught by instructors who may never have even climbed into a lorry...

As far as digi cards are concerned, you don't have to do a course unless your employer requires you to but personally, I don't think you'll find many owner drivers who've done one.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Personally I think that the best day of the 5 was the first aid one, but I also think I should be taught in school to start with in secondary school.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have been lead to believe that the trainers have to prove professional competence before meeting the standards of the awarding body before delivering. However if you are doing H&S or first aid the competence is not to drive but to deliver that module as to save a life driving a truck is not relevant.
but then again I have also heard of teachers in school teaching math when they qualified as history teachers.. :rofl:

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I don't wish to cast any aspersions on any instructors perse, but I do have a couple of mates who are employed drivers, who spent a week in a classroom with an instructor who 6 months earlier, was a painter and decorator of some 15 years previously. He openly admitted he wouldn't have a clue how to drive a truck, but said he'd done the course to train as an instructor? Its not the first example I've heard like this and I suppose as long as you get your cpc at the end of it, it doesn't matter how.
For me, the best way to learn a trade is from the experienced tradesman who can pass on their knowledge. That's howni learnt many tears ago to rope and sheet, not in a classroom.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification lasts for 5 years. To keep your Driver CPC you need to do 35 hours of training before your 5-year deadline.

The deadline to do your training is shown on your card.

It’s up to you when you take the training courses, as long as you do them within the 5-year period.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification lasts for 5 years. To keep your Driver CPC you need to do 35 hours of training before your 5-year deadline.

The deadline to do your training is shown on your card.

It’s up to you when you take the training courses, as long as you do them within the 5-year period.
I know all that, but you don’t understand what I am saying and I won’t bother trying anymore.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Dvla will reinstate your licence as a PRIVATE HGV , ,,, no cpc required ,

cpc only required if you are going to drive for a living

mines been renewed without a cpc for the last 5 times