Tyres (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Have to replace the 2 front tyres on my m/home going for a brand name (Continental) best price quoted £124.00 plus vat each tyre is this good

Bill

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
£60 for the tyre
£64 for the name
Total £124
sounds about right:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I opted to dump my camping car tyres when the price got to about £150 per corner. I then got my self some AV 9s and am chuffed to bits with them, especially in the winter in all the snow and in the rain, they have been very impressive, correct weight rating and half the money. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I opted to dump my camping car tyres when the price got to about £150 per corner. I then got my self some AV 9s and am chuffed to bits with them, especially in the winter in all the snow and in the rain, they have been very impressive, correct weight rating and half the money. :thumb:
IMHO
You are quite right Paul
Its a van with a load on it, call it what you like:Doh:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Try e tyres
They change em at your doorstep
Supposedly 40%cheaper
Cost me £54 for a new tyre on a Mazda mx5sportcar
All on the doorstep
On line pricing easy to use

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This reminds me I must change my fronts - been sat in the garage all yr waiting for good weather and motivation :ROFLMAO:I got 2 new wheels and Tyre's for £60 each Apparently it is against H & S to supply a spare Tyre on the Iveco vans and trucks so the main dealer is taking off the spare :ROFLMAO::thumb: There loss my gain :thumb:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van was two years old when we bought it and had the original Goodyear Cargo tyres on it which it had when it left the Elddis factory.

When we changed the tyres about 18 months ago we went for the same type on the grounds that the van had run perfectly well on those tyres and Elddis presumably know what they are doing.

Cost per tyre was £70.70 + £1.50 disposal of old tyre + £9 new valve and balance. As we have Tyron bands fitted we got the job done on the drive by Kwik Fit Mobile at a cost of £20. The price (total £426 for 5 tyres) was competitive with other companies I researched at the time and I didn't have to take the van anywhere and hang around a draughty garage whilst the job was done.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Just a thought, if your tyres did,nt go down...why did you need a new valve, its a rip off, they make thousands a year out of this con, we stopped it when i was in charge of a commercial fleet. If you do ever worry about valves, you can pick them up for coppers from Halfords, they take seconds to fit (insert) and can be fitted with a small tool that also cost's coppers. Its worth having one and a few valves in with your toolkit or mini compressor etc, it could save you a trip to a tyre outfit, or getting ..ahem, lured into paying for a puncture repair when it was just a valve. Valave are cheap enpough to change "just in case" when you have a slow puncture, one thing elimanated.
One of the main things to take account of with tyres on MH's, is the side wall ply, it will tell you what the manufacturer recommends, stick to it, at any cost!
If you do not have the right No of ply on the sidewall, the tyre is under strength, will fles a lot more, and you will be asking the air inside to do much more than its job.
If a tyre is very cheap...its probably a very cheap tyre and may not be designed for commercial (MH) use.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just a thought, if your tyres did,nt go down...why did you need a new valve, its a rip off, they make thousands a year out of this con, we stopped it when i was in charge of a commercial fleet. If you do ever worry about valves, you can pick them up for coppers from Halfords, they take seconds to fit (insert) and can be fitted with a small tool that also cost's coppers. Its worth having one and a few valves in with your toolkit or mini compressor etc, it could save you a trip to a tyre outfit, or getting ..ahem, lured into paying for a puncture repair when it was just a valve. Valave are cheap enpough to change "just in case" when you have a slow puncture, one thing elimanated.
One of the main things to take account of with tyres on MH's, is the side wall ply, it will tell you what the manufacturer recommends, stick to it, at any cost!
If you do not have the right No of ply on the sidewall, the tyre is under strength, will fles a lot more, and you will be asking the air inside to do much more than its job.
If a tyre is very cheap...its probably a very cheap tyre and may not be designed for commercial (MH) use.

Hi darklord by there very nature commercial tyres are designed for commercial vans :ROFLMAO: and seeing how M/Hs are built on such vehicles M/Hs as well :Doh:prey tell me how carrying a few valves and mini compressor are going to help ? How do you get the tyre off the wheel (break the bead )to replace the valve :winky: or are you saying just replace the center screw in bit
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just a thought, if your tyres did,nt go down...why did you need a new valve

Honest answer, I haven't a clue. Also, as the £9 per tyre was for valve and balance I haven't a clue as to what was the split. For all I know it might have been 50p for the valve and £8.50 for the balance - or vice versa :Smile:

My main aim was to ensure that I bought suitable tyres and my secondary aim was a competitive price. Both aims were satisfied so no complaints :Smile:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Making a saving on a commercial fleet makes sense at a ~£1 a per valve as there are savings to be made, however for the MH replacing the valve with the tyre makes sense, firstly due to the fact that the tyres are most likely replaced due to age, therefore the rubber in the valve will be subject to the same deterioration, and secondly for the sake of a ~£1 against the possibility of sitting at the side of the road waiting for a road assist to come and change the tyre and associated charges with having a tyre removed to replace the valve.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Always change the valve when changing tyres (though £9 is a bit steep) if your tyres are 5years old so is the valve, chances are your new tyres are going to last another 5years so now the valves are 10 years old, do you realy want one of these to let go at 60mph with the family on board, or even at low speed you could ruin the rim and also that nice new tyre, false econemy if you ask me, I pay max £3.50 valve and balance but more often than not it is included with the tyre price.

All the best Rick

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I ask for an all included price

I have asked for all inclusive price that means I want all the hidden charges like valves and balancing. Then I can compare what is good or not.

What I have found is getting tyres direct and delivered has meant a £30 fitting charge per wheel as the local tyre company did not supply the tyre. This is not a one off quoted, but I contacted 5 garages when I had my front tyres sent to me for a members garage on RVOC.. good price from him for the RV.. but still ended up paying the same as if I purchased them from the local company due to the fitting and valve and balancing of the wheel. So you really do need to check all the hidden costs you might face.

I am due to have 4 replaced when I go to a pure RVOC meeting for American RV's in August.. but I have asked for an inclusive price based on them being supplied and fitted rather than have them sent to my local tyre dealer as I did last time when he supplied two tyres for me.

But I think anyone needs to phone around and see what they can get.

Bob:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Depends on how much you use it.

I always would recommend a mid-range. Why? Because most motorhomes only do a few thousand miles a year at most, and the tyres will need replacing due to age and persihing before they wear out - so why buy premium?

Your main concerns will be grip in all weathers, and load - as you will in effect be 'fully loaded' and the grip needs to be right on a high sided vehicle. This will put most budgets in the shade.

Therefore a mid-range is the best bet. Something like a maxxis, BFG. marshall etc will set you back around £70-90 fitted and balanced.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

what are tyres made of.....basically rubber

what are valve stems made of....basically rubber.

if the tyre is UV aged then so is the valve stem so will also need replacing.

its extremely rare for a valve core to fail on the road....possible at the point of inflating, but not on the road.

for what they cost, the price of renewing valve stems is small change compared to the cost of a valve stem failure.

even all metal valves have rubber seals which will harden with time and, personally, i wouldnt use anything else on a commercial based vehicle.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ok, I'll take the advice on that one. We used to get charged £3 a valve on commercials, it just rang alarm bells when once a new tyre is purchased, you get charged for balancing, then valves, then disposal....on a bottom of the range tyre for a festa for instance, the"extra's" can exceed the cost of the tyre:Eeek:.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I've had a motorcycle MOT failure in the past for worn/perished/cracked valve stems....................:Eeek:

wolly

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
ripon n yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 plus motorhoming and tugin
wolly north yorkshire

hi just bought two new tyers size
215/75/r16 for £55 00 each
and free delivery all weather tyers.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

But do the AV9's have the same loading as the Camping XC?

Doug...

And Geo, at that price, do you sell by post?

mikev

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Funster No
av9

Investigate AVON.

Having read this forum we have just had 5 avon AV9 fitted at home by Event tyres . Excellent service - cost £477.30.

Originals were Michelin camping 215/70/R15 on a 1998 Fiat swift Sundance RL590. (yes some 14 years old and still lots of wear in them). I think these are now about £150 each. A new set would outlast me never mind the van.

Mike Vincent.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Originals were Michelin camping 215/70/R15 on a 1998 Fiat swift Sundance RL590. (yes some 14 years old and still lots of wear in them).

Mike Vincent.

By "lots of wear in them" I assume you mean that the tread was not yet worn down.

The problem is that the tyres "age", just as we do, and they become more prone to failure after 5 (some say more) years.

If you have no interest in the occupants safety then 14 years is OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back