Hydraulic jacks - being a pain (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Hi
Always the way - dreaded day off site and one of the back jacks would not go up! Oh no - Col got under with the trusty mallet (I know!) After few up and downs and encouragement! it went up and lights went out and we could drive out. Sealed unit so not sure if anything we can do. Are we looking at calling out local Motorhome Medics or has anyone had this prob and found and easy cure (would be nice).
Thanks for any advice
Cheers
Jaen

Quick note to Jim - cannot load any smileys or not smileys into text - anything I can sort my end
Cheers Jaen

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same problem with one of my rears too.

one day i'll get round to sorting it but until then....

lower the rear jacks first...the bit of extra travel with the front being high may free it.

failing that, i use a pick axe handle and one or two of the wooden blocks to ease it back up using leverage.

silicon spray grease is the recommended lubricant i believe but doesnt always work.

whacking it with a mallet may cause more damage than you think.

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Jacks

Thanks PappaJohn
In all honesty it was gentleish mallet honest:thumb: and Col pushed as well - will investigate grease and see what happens when we get back on site - think from memory it has always been a bit slower that side.
Love it when it works but pain when playing up - but off site gives Rv run and genny work out. Have to stay here for a while cuz of family commitments.
Thanks again
Jaen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Be careful about you put on the ram, some oils and lubricants can damage the seals, if you have to put anything on use the hydraulic fluid that you would put in the resevour.

Doug...

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got the same trouble, according to the manual you can use transmission oil to lubricate the rod. It specifically says not to use hydraulic oil.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back