Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Guys

Well we've only gone and done it:party2: put a deposit on our first motorhome a 1998 Peugeot boxer Autosleeper Pescara, in really nice condition with 24,000 on the clock.

should pick her up next weekend with a bit of luck, can't wait,:wooo::wooo::wooo:

right everyone what do I do?, what do I need?, where should I go?, how? what? yahoo:shout::shout::shout::rollonfloor::rollonfloor::rollonfloor::rollonfloor:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Whizzer first thing to do is go out and buy all-sorts of stuff you don't need ::bigsmile:
Make sure it comes with a hook-up cable and gas bottle or two :winky: After that borrow a few things from the house-bottle opener, plates, mugs, quilt etc and either try it out on the drive or somewhere local ish and enjoy :thumb:
You will soon be aware of what you need rather than want :ROFLMAO::Smile:
terry

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of Motorhoming. You have bought what I think is the best used van avaialable - our's is the Ravenna in the same range and we have enjoyed every moment we have had her.

The first thing you should do before accepting your van is to make sure the dealer/owner shows you how everything works and then make sure it does. Turn the hot water heater on, the gas fire on - even if it is a scorching day and try the blow heating system on gas and ehu too
Work the fridge on ehu, 12v with the engine running and also on gas. It will take time but save you frantic heartache later should something not work.
Dont forget to test the cooker and the oven and the grill and have them all on at the same time, this will make sure it is working efficiently.
You will already have checked the habitation report, though on your van this should present no problems, the only place for damp to ingress is the windows.
The advice from your other posting is absolutely spot on - buy nothing, drive to a pleasant spot and try everything out and then spend a night having a bed and breakfast in it in your driveway, this way you will know what bedding you need and should you decide you need something its a short trip to the house to get it.

A useful trip I have learned is to try and make everything you carry serve more than one purpose - space is limited and increases in weight increases fuel consumption.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Guys thanks for that:thumb:, good idea not to go to far, there is a little cl just 2 miles up the road ideal for testing her out, its a private sale and its not coming with gas bottles as the guy is going to get a caravan, so any idea what the max size bottles I can put in there?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Guys thanks for that:thumb:, good idea not to go to far, there is a little cl just 2 miles up the road ideal for testing her out, its a private sale and its not coming with gas bottles as the guy is going to get a caravan, so any idea what the max size bottles I can put in there?

Hi
I can carry 2 x 7kg bottles but unless you are going abroad I would not carry two bottles about - too much weight and replacements are easily available.

Ask around your friends and see if anyone has an empty bottle sitting in their garage they would let you have, then you will only have to pay for the refill.

Ask the guy if you can borrow one of his bottles to test out the gas supply.
If you haven't had the gas supply in your MH tested then I would recommend getting it tested. Gas leaks and MHs don't go well together.

Norman

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Norman
Thanks for that, I am thinking about LPG in the future, so one bottle will do me for now and Ill take your advice and ask around.

The only thing that worries me, is the 1.9 engine man enough?, which reminds me, do you know what the payload is on these vans?

Tim

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Norman

..........The only thing that worries me, is the 1.9 engine man enough?, which reminds me, do you know what the payload is on these vans?

Tim

Tim,
Depends what you mean by man enough! You mention a 1.9 so I am supposing your MH is a diesel, whilst mine is a 2L petrol with lpg conversion. It does not run like a car but few MHs will but it will cruise quite nicely at 60 mph and take most hills in 5th gear. Really steep ones with no run at it will probably require a gear change but I think it will be enough. But if you have bought the MH then you will have to make the best of what you've got. Having spoken to a few MHers their advice is buy the biggest engine you can afford, suggesting the bigger the engine the fewer gear changes and the better the fuel consumption.
Not being a techie I am not sure quite what you mean by payload, does it not say in the Peugeot manual? If not someone on the site will know

Just out of interest why are you looking towards lpg.

Norman

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and well done about time you got a van you have been lurking long enough, hee hee. There should be a weight plate under the bonnet, which will have GVW gross vehicle weight. Subtract your actual weight from that and you have your payload figure but do make sure individual axle weights are not exceeded. do make sure he uses his gas bottle to demonstrate everything working including the fridge (approx £700 to replace). If possible video the demo so you can refer back to find out how things work. What all the switches do etc. Check the engine compartment and make sure the scuttle kit has been fitted, not sure what date that stopped being a problem.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Tim,
Depends what you mean by man enough! You mention a 1.9 so I am supposing your MH is a diesel, whilst mine is a 2L petrol with lpg conversion. It does not run like a car but few MHs will but it will cruise quite nicely at 60 mph and take most hills in 5th gear. Really steep ones with no run at it will probably require a gear change but I think it will be enough. But if you have bought the MH then you will have to make the best of what you've got. Having spoken to a few MHers their advice is buy the biggest engine you can afford, suggesting the bigger the engine the fewer gear changes and the better the fuel consumption.
Not being a techie I am not sure quite what you mean by payload, does it not say in the Peugeot manual? If not someone on the site will know

Just out of interest why are you looking towards lpg.

Norman

Hi Norman
Thanks for all that, Im looking at LPG for heating and cooking simply for cost and convenience realy and if I put in a tank underneath it will free up the gas locker for other stuff. being a pretty practical bloke I think I can do it pretty cheaply by sourcing all the bits and doing it myself, I will of course get it checked by a proper gas tecy bloke afterwords.:thumb:

Tim

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and well done about time you got a van you have been lurking long enough, hee hee. There should be a weight plate under the bonnet, which will have GVW gross vehicle weight. Subtract your actual weight from that and you have your payload figure but do make sure individual axle weights are not exceeded. do make sure he uses his gas bottle to demonstrate everything working including the fridge (approx £700 to replace). If possible video the demo so you can refer back to find out how things work. What all the switches do etc. Check the engine compartment and make sure the scuttle kit has been fitted, not sure what date that stopped being a problem.

Hi Wildman
::bigsmile:Yes you are right but I have enjoyed lurking and learned plenty doing it, thanks for advice on payload looks like Ill have to take a trip to a weighbridge.

I remember something about the scuttle thingy, i have to look that up too:thumb:

Tim

TonyMH

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
Epsom Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Oct 2010

I bought a 7 kg gas bottle on Ebay for a fiver - only a few miles from me. A bit old and tatty but that doesn't matter as you exchange it straight away for refill. Refills cost around £21 I have found but it pays to shop around. Good advice re. 1 bottle in the UK, but take 2 if you go abroad...they are weighty. I also take a small portable gas stove so that I can cook outdoors and you can get the small gas bottles for those anywhere - also saves using your main gas supply if you think it's getting low. Enjoy your Peugeot :roflmto::roflmto::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Tim always worth checking your local dump-it site for bottles -any size - you should be able to exchange it for the right size :thumb: although 6kg are scarce
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back