Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Some advice please

My son has ventured out into the caravan world and his family are just so excited. I remember when we first started out with a caravan my son was the grandchildren's ages , so I know how he was.

Well he could not afford a newish van and went down the route of seeking and finding a lovely 16 year old van with as would be expected small wet/damp areas.

He has got on a pulled out the internal ply walls that need sorting and is well on the way to replacing all the rotten wood needed.

He obviously sought the area where he thinks the water is getting in and he believes that its the awning rail. So off with that and cleaning it up.

Had a chat with him this evening on progress and he mentioned that he was going to reapply the rail with Sikaflex 512.
Now I know this stuff is used for sticking things down on our vans ie solar panel brackets to the roof. I am under the impression that 512 when it goes off sticks and will not shift in the future. He is also thinking of using the 512 to seal a small locker door into the body work.
The simple questions be, is it advisable to use 512 for the awning rail and locker frame as if it sticks fast if there was need for future replacement it would be stuck solid?
Any info would be most helpful

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I’ve used 512 on my conversion for various items including something on the roof which I removed last week, I don’t see a problem with using it but an awning rail should be screwed on as well.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I’ve used 512 on my conversion for various items including something on the roof which I removed last week, I don’t see a problem with using it but an awning rail should be screwed on as well.
Yes, I imagine he will re screw the rail on. I read that rails were put on with the roll mastic years ago but melt in the heat. Just do not want him to put the rail on with a sealant that cures very solid and inflexible and may crack along the length of the awning rail thus let in water. If it is used in the trade now to fix awning rails all well and good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, I imagine he will re screw the rail on. I read that rails were put on with the roll mastic years ago but melt in the heat. Just do not want him to put the rail on with a sealant that cures very solid and inflexible and may crack along the length of the awning rail thus let in water. If it is used in the trade now to fix awning rails all well and good
I removed some off my tin roof which had been on a few years and it was still flexible, used turps to remove what I could not scrape off.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Sikaflex doesn't set firm and brittle.. it's semiflexible

It can be cut off with a Sharpe knife easily enough if needed.. remember to dip the screws into the sikaflex before screwing in

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks so its sounds like 512/522 is OK.
Great stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sikaflex is top notch but i find it quite unforgiving when trying to get not only a good seal but a neat seal.

I found that Soudal RV61 is as effective as sikaflex 512, but is a lot more forgiving during application and cleaning around the area after seating the joints.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back