pamnewman

Free Member
Jun 20, 2011
kent
Funster No
MH
kontiki
Exp
hi new to forums,i am going touring europe {first time},ineed breakdown recoverery .any one know a good site

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
A lot depends on the age, weight & length of your van?
Loads of companies offering breakdown insurance but won't cover a lot of vans in the small print.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Not had personal experience of them, as I'm already covered, but many people say ADAC offer a very good service.
http://www.adac.de/

I will be looking at them when my current policy runs out.
Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I once broke down in Portugal and I had break down cover the service I got was a joke!!

The engine refused to start, would not even turn over...

Called the UK to arrange the road side repair (which I think most of us would expect).

The UK called Madrid, Madrid called me to ask the vehicle details. Madrid called Lisbon (I was in the Algarve) and Lisbon sent a recovery truck.(local).

The Driver asked what was wrong, I told him, he tried to start the engine, the engine would not start, he said he could not fix it and loaded me on his truck and took me to the main dealers.

The moral of the story is, the cost of the cover was £48.00 the truck driver said he would have move me to the dealers for E20.00

Doug...

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , A friend of mine bought RAC cover thru c/cc on friday, day before going to france then broke down on motorway sunday had to pay french tow truck up front which took him and motorhome to a campsite , on contacting RAC they agreed that he could stay on campsite until day before return journey they would organise tow truck to calais ,ferry and tow truck UK back Isle of Wight via another ferry also refund cost french motorway towing. I thought that very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if your not already a member join either the caravan club or caravan and camping club both do u.k. and european brakedown and for your vehicle it will be no problems (unlike those of us with american units).

caravan club do 'red pennant' i think its called
caravan and camping club is called 'arrival' through the rac,

if not a member you would have to join one or other of the clubs but membership gives other things as well like main sites of the club, excellent 5 van sites with very reasonable nightly rates, house insurance, pet insurance at competative prices.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
yours, like ours, is an older van and breakdown cover is quite hard to come by, especially as it's quite long as well. We eventually insured the van with Safeguard insurance which came up with a good quote which includes breakdown cover for any age and any length van. There is also no limit on how many days you can spend abroad - a lot limit you to 90 days in any 12 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back