Here’s the new official French guidelines blind spot stickers (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My worry about putting stickers in place on a long-term basis is that the paint weathers at different rates under the stickers from outside them, so leaves a mark when removed.

As has been said the magnetic ones are no good on aluminium sandwich, like our N&B Arto, nor on GRP. So realistically magnetic is only good for PVCs, or for 'C' Class doors, but not their rear ends.

I would like to finsd a way to stick them temporarily for the few weeks we are in France each year.

Incidentally in one translation it says 'including foreign lorries'. MHs are not lorries since they are Vehicle Category M for passenger transport, but without definitive interpretation of the French law it is difficult to know what it says.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
A 'VERY LIGHT' smearing of vaseline on the place you are to put the stickers will reduce the efficacy
of the glue on the sticker and should mean you can take them on and off at will, transferring them onto
a suitable piece of perspex, (also smeared with vaseline) when you get home.

Try it first with a spare piece of sticky backed plastic but remember , VERY LIGHT!!!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
A 'VERY LIGHT' smearing of vaseline on the place you are to put the stickers will reduce the efficacy
of the glue on the sticker and should mean you can take them on and off at will, transferring them onto

Try it first with a spare piece of sticky backed plastic but remember , VERY LIGHT!!!
Are you going to do that with the Italian, Spanish German etc versions?

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I wonder if the C&MC legal dept responded to a previous posters enquiry and if so, what their response was?

I've got to say though, I haven't noticed these stickers on any trucks over here that have obviously transited through France?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I didn't like leaving GB stickers on the top box on the bike so I carefully removed about 1/4" (6mm) from the outer edge of the backing paper revealing the adhesive part. This was sufficient to hold the sticker in place but made it easy to remove when I got back home.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

I’d be very surprised if it stayed stuck in the wind. A simpler idea is to stick them to your clothes momentarily . They should pick up enough fluff to reduce the adhesion. Most importantly don’t leave them on to long, the longer vinyl is stuck down the greater the bond

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I wonder if the C&MC legal dept responded to a previous posters enquiry and if so, what their response was?

I've got to say though, I haven't noticed these stickers on any trucks over here that have obviously transited through France?
Driving a lot of motorways with work most foreign lorries have them

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I think a more effective method of preventing cyclists from travelling down the inside of a vehicle would be a variation on this device. :giggle:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Without wanting to go into the different ways of giving the weight of a vehicle, does anyone know if this is the vehicle's registered weight, or what it weighs at the time ie loaded with all our usual junk? My 'van's registered weight is 3.5 tonnes, so am I just under the radar?!

At 3.5T you are fine, particularly if one's vehicle is a PVC or Coachbuilt because the vast majority of those vehicles are rated at 3.5T. (Yes, there are some on a Maxi but, in the eyes of the observer who does not have specific Brand knowledge you will be 3.5T)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Oh! BTW. Having read some of the stuff relating to this, (and sorry if it's old news) The organisation that represents campers in the wider sense, ie tents, caravans and motorhomes, has approached the EU with a view to having the GVW of motorhomes allowed to be used on a 'normal licence' in the EU by their citizens from 3.5T to 4.25T.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
That has been on the cards for some time driven by the weight of electric vans which are unlikely to be less than 3.5 tons and poor old white van man will not be able to drive them without taking a special test unless changes are made to the B licence to allow weights up to 4.25 tons to be driven.
ezee

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
That has been on the cards for some time driven by the weight of electric vans which are unlikely to be less than 3.5 tons and poor old white van man will not be able to drive them without taking a special test unless changes are made to the B licence to allow weights up to 4.25 tons to be driven.
ezee
I believe currently a normal licence allows the driver to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes plus a trailer, not exceeding a Gross Train Weight (GTW) of 4.25 tonnes. So that leaves the question, if we get away without the poster on a 3.5 tonne vehicle, what happens if we add a trailer? Is it GTW or Gross Vehicle Weight that dictates poster or not?

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
One problem with these stickers if using French motorways is we usually get away with class 2 but it will be obvious to the Peage attendant that you are class 3. Lets hope they are all automatic now

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
One problem with these stickers if using French motorways is we usually get away with class 2 but it will be obvious to the Peage attendant that you are class 3. Lets hope they are all automatic now

just because you put on stickers doesn’t mean you are over 3.5t

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
On a RHD vehicle the weight plate is on the 'wrong' side !

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

I've signwritten every kind of object since 1980 and I've never heard that suggestion before.
Gave me a good chuckle.
I'll try it next time we do one of these as it takes IMG-20210224-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210224-WA0001.jpg
3 days to remove them all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back