Advice sought! Kon Tiki buying options... (1 Viewer)

thermidorthelobster

Free Member
Jun 19, 2011
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
In the market
Exp
None yet
We are a couple expecting a baby in September (with a dog too). We've looked at a variety of layouts of motorhomes, and the one we keep coming back to is the Kon Tiki 645, because we like the flexibility and the open, spacious feel to it. I've always had a soft spot for Kon Tikis although I've never owned a motorhome myself before.

I'm currently looking at two for sale and we are really struggling to know what's best to go for.

The first is a 2004 Kon Tiki 645 on the 2.8L Fiat chassis. It's apparently in good condition (just being prepped at the moment so we've not seen it, but we've seen plenty of identical models, so we know what to expect). It's done 24K miles, has a reversing camera, cab & hab aircon, etc. The one thing against it is that it has had 6 prior owners! I can buy it for under £29K with a 3 year warranty.

The second is a 2008 model on the 160HP new style chassis with the grey & white body. Again it's in VGC and has only done 5,000 miles. It's got the standard Vogue spec but no hab aircon. It's being traded in against a brand new Kon Tiki by its first owner. I can buy this one for under £39K, again including 3 year warranty (chassis & body, parts & labour).

Both seem reasonable deals to me. However, the 2008 is ten grand more than the 2004, which is a not insignificant amount of money; whilst we can find the money to spend if we want to, that's £10K less of a buffer in our bank account if our circumstances change, what with new baby on the way. For this reason, my wife favours the 2004, whereas I am finding it hard to see past the newer styling and more modern chassis of the 2008.

Can anybody with experience of either or both throw in any arguments which might help us to decide either way? It's worth noting that at these prices I'd rather move quickly than chance waiting around.

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am no expert but I would give the one with 6 previous owners a miss.

There is usually a reason for such a quick turnover on a 7 year old van.

Not sure if you have looked at the Hymer range but may be worth it if you are spending up to 40k.

Good luck with whatever you choose ( and with the baby of course)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hi, the only thing I would be wary of from the descriptions you give is the very well used multi owner vehicle and continental touring in summer without air-con. I admit these are very much personal issues, and many will say a multi owner vehicle gave them no problems and some will say they manage well without air-con. You seem to know what you want, so good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi have you seen this.. It'll cost you under £7 and might save you £thousands [Link Removed]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
with a 3 year warranty.
Many thanks in advance!

Not quite.

You'll be buying with a 3 year insurance policy, so carefully worded that if you have a claim on and day with a "Y" in it you'll be lucky to get a penny. So don't let that give you a false sense of security.

i.e. SCREWS: This policy covers all screws as long as they are left hand thread, do not exceed 3.75mm diameter and are made of titanium. These screws must be examined by an accredited titanium screw test centre at least once a year.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
the one we keep coming back to is the Kon-Tiki 645, because we like the flexibility and the open, spacious feel to it. I've always had a soft spot for Kon Tikis although I've never owned a motorhome myself before.

I'm currently looking at two for sale and we are really struggling to know what's best to go for.

The first is a 2004 Kon Tiki 645 on the 2.8L Fiat chassis. It's apparently in good condition (just being prepped at the moment so we've not seen it, but we've seen plenty of identical models, so we know what to expect). It's done 24K miles, has a reversing camera, cab & hab aircon, etc. The one thing against it is that it has had 6 prior owners! I can buy it for under £29K with a 3 year warranty.

The second is a 2008 model on the 160HP new style chassis with the grey & white body. Again it's in VGC and has only done 5,000 miles. It's got the standard Vogue spec but no hab aircon. It's being traded in against a brand new Kon Tiki by its first owner. I can buy this one for under £39K, again including 3 year warranty (chassis & body, parts & labour).

We have a Kontiki 645, 07 on the 2.8, 160 engine, best van we've ever had, suits our purpose as we used to full time in it before we retired last October (2010), the bigger engine we found is better for the size of the van, and after doing 56000+ miles on the clock its still purring and giving a return of around 28 mpg, we've had a few recalls on it, but nothing too serious, and the dealer we got it from are fantastic, (Johnscross)(see Peter we're like ShiftZZ want 10 pc off) we have'nt got air-con in the back only in the cab, PM me if you want more details.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not quite.

You'll be buying with a 3 year insurance policy, so carefully worded that if you have a claim on and day with a "Y" in it you'll be lucky to get a penny. So don't let that give you a false sense of security.

i.e. SCREWS: This policy covers all screws as long as they are left hand thread, do not exceed 3.75mm diameter and are made of titanium. These screws must be examined by an accredited titanium screw test centre at least once a year.

Never has a truer word been spoken!

Peter

OP
OP
T

thermidorthelobster

Free Member
Jun 19, 2011
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
In the market
Exp
None yet
The last car I bought had a £350 pointless-waste-of-time warranty on it which I couldn't get a refund on, so I'm naturally suspicious; from what the dealer has said it does sound like this one is worthwhile, as the dealer themselves sort out the problems directly with the warranty company, but I will check the paperwork to see if it's as they say.

Having driven across the Sahara twice, sitting on the engine of a 1970s ex-military Land Rover, the aircon doesn't make much of a difference to me personally, but with a child that will make a bit of a difference. We're mainly looking at UK use for the time being so it's more of a "nice to have" than a must-have.

My gut feeling is to go for the 2008 but it's a team decision so we shall have to see... Thanks for opinions and thoughts so far!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having driven across the Sahara twice, sitting on the engine of a 1970s ex-military Land Rover, the aircon doesn't make much of a difference to me personally,

We camped in the Sahara, no aircon and if we had it have made no difference because with no hook up the non-existent aircon would not have run anyway as they are main s powered. Only problem was awning destroying wind, which also filled every nook and cranny with sand.

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
Hi, I,ve noticed they've got a swift kon-tiki 645 for sale at the dealer i use (www.clevelandmotorhomes.co.uk) it's on a fiat 2.8jtd, it's done 26,000 miles, it's a 2004(54reg), it's got an awning & bike rack fitted & it's on for £29,995 but i don't know how many owners it's had.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back